“Unpleasant”

Holiday Inn Leicester
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I am a platinum Priority Club member. I use this brand of hotels all the time. This is by far the worst Holiday Inn I have stayed at. I was disappointed not to be offered an upgrade to which I am entitled if a better room is available even though at breakfast the following morning the only other people there were one family. When I did ask for an upgrade I got one. I was told it was my fault for not asking the night before - good customer relations, I don't think! My first room had the most awful smell. This is something about which other reviewers have made comment. The smell was rather as if someone had left some old food in the room. Whatever the cause it did not make for a good night's sleep. The douvet cover was torn and the bed not properly made up. I had to swap the douvet with the other bed. Both matresses were clearly in need of replacement as they felt they must be years old. Actually the whole hotel looks very tired and to be honest I felt dirty just being in the place, though this was mainly because the place was shabby rather than unclean. The following day I did get an upgrade and was given a room on the 6th floor. To be fair this was better, but not great for an executive room. There were bottles of water on the side which had been lacking the night before. I also noted that on the 6th floor the mini-bar was fully stocked whereas the previous night there was nothing in the fridge. Maintenance is also somewhat lacking. The light in my standard lamp was not working in the upgraded room. When I asked for a new bulb one did arrive but that did not work. I was told the problem was the fuse. These sorts of thing should be picked up my regular maintenance. Now I know I may be being a bit harsh here but I did get the overall impression of a hotel that was not particularly well managed; that needed a face lift; and, well, I won't be staying here again!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Tavua, Guest Relations at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2010

We wish to acknowledge receipt of your feedback which the General Manager has reviewed. We are obviously disappointed with this; however, appreciate the time you have taken as constructive criticism helps us to monitor our service and standards. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed 18 July 2010

We had the lucky outcome of a complimentary room at the Holiday Inn, Leicester as a prize (even though we had to travel up from Portsmouth). We parked in the NCP (£5) and were made very welcome on arrival.

Our room was clean and well appointed. We used the Leisure facilities i.e. pool, sauna, jaquizzi, sauna and steam room and had no problems. Despite there being a wedding taking place we were only disturbed by being the room next to the lift (well it was a free stay). The breakfast was plentiful and the staff constantly checked we were ok and topped up drinks.

Checkout was straightforward and we also benefited from the opportunity to meet relatives nearby. Well recommended and we would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Tavua, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2010

Thank you for your review following your stay with us ealier this month and we are pleased to note that you would recommend our hotel and use the Holiday Inn for future visits to Leicester.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

Last December, my siblings and I booked a few days stay for my parents at the Holiday Inn, St. Nicholas Circle in Leicester. Their room at the hotel was prepaid by us. My parents live in Ireland and were visiting Leicester for 5 nights in early December. They are both over 65 and they were there essentially to spend time with my brother who lives in Leicester.
My mum's brother had been ill for a long time and while my parents were staying at the Holiday Inn they received word from the hospital in Ireland that my uncle would soon pass away. Naturally, they cut short their stay and flew home immediately to be with him in his final hours. They only stayed in the Holiday Inn for 2 nights instead of 5. The Holiday Inn insisted that they could not refund the 3 nights even though the situation in Ireland was explained to them. My parents made it home in time to be with my uncle who died on Sunday 13 December 2009.
It goes without saying that we don't give two hoots about losing any money. Family is more important. On reflection, I think the Holiday Inn were wrong not to offer a refund under the circumstances. I wont be staying there in this lifetime. Or the next, hopefully.

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank TubbyTabby
Tavua, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2010

We wish to acknowledge receipt of the feedback following your stay with us in December last year and were concerned that we were not made aware of your disappointment earlier. Should you be visiting Leicester in the future and require accommodation please make us aware of the above and we will endeavour to make amends. Thank you.

Reviewed 24 June 2010

We spent a couple of nights here on a very good deal with 3 other families. We all had children and were allocated lovely spacious rooms on the 5th floor each with 2 double beds. On one early evening we used the swimming & fitness facilities which were not the most plush but were clean and more than adequate. All the staff we met were very friendly & helpful.

The hotel is situated in the middle of a very busy roundabout along with an NCP car park..... very strange. The safest (indeed only way out on foot seems to be through the car park to the narrowest part of the car park with a crossing. This way actually leads to the City Centre which is very close by. I actually tried crossing the roundabout at another point and can say it is the only time I have felt it is safer to cross a road in New Delhi!!

The NCP at £5 for the night is the safest place to park the car at night but if you need to pop in and out with a car during the day the cost will mean that this is not the hotel for you at £5 a time.

Despite being in the roundabout there was no noise disturbance at night ... well at least on the 5th floor.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Tavua, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2010

Thank you for your feedback - which we do appreciate; unfortunately there is little we can do about the location, however, we are pleased to note your positive comments about the leisure facilities and service you received from the staff. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed 12 June 2010

Great location within easy walking of the city centre. Plenty of parking in the multi-story next door as long as you have a standard car. If you have a roof box or drive a van, beware! You ticket for parking is validated at reception, so there's no additional cost.
The restaurant staff were very friendly, helpful and great fun. The reception staff generally much less so. The room was clean, spacious and well maintained although suffered from traffic noise, this has to be expected if you also want the central location so it's an observation, not a criticism.
There is a pool/sauna/jacuzzi which is a benefit, a bit tired looking, but adequate.
I marked the sleep quality down as I can never get a comfortable nights sleep in any Holiday Inn. They provide marked hard and soft pillows, but I can never find a combination that prevents me from having a sore neck after a few nights. The room television system is difficult to work out and had a poor image quality.

Overall, an ideal hotel for business close to Leicester centre.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and the constructive feedback contained therein and we are pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 11 June 2010

This hotel has recently been 'refreshed' to bring it in to line with the new Holiday Inn brand image. We received an upgrade to an Executive room on account of my Priority Club status. The room was spacious and had a good view to the north of the city (over the Jewry Wall museum).

The front desk and bar staff were very freidnly and helpful. They had no hesitation in assisting us with a rather trivial error on our bill. The room was very clean, quiet and in full working order - the rate was also very competitve.

Thank you to the HI team in leicester for a very nice stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review, we are pleased to note you enjoyed your stay and found the front desk and bar staff helpful and friendly. Your feedback has been posted on the team notice board. Thank you.

Reviewed 22 May 2010

The room smells of old canabis, the windows do not open (I have just been told this is a new policy brought in). The air-con does not work and the room is like a sauna, albeit a very old one that smells musty. Even the TV is fuzzy, well the BBC is though you can get a good signal on chanel 5.... hmm..
I stay in hotels each week and can say that though travellodge is a cheaper chain and not a good value hotel, I would rather stay in a travel lodge just off the M1 than stay in the sorry excuse for a hotel that is the holiday inn Leicester.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank hoteltraveller1977

We wish to acknowledge receipt of your review, express our disappointment and offer our apologies for the shortfalls you experienced. If there is availability, we are always happy to allocate guests an alternative room and we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.