“Great Budget B&B”

Ranked #11 of 22 Leicester B&B and Inns
Chatel, France
“Great Budget B&B”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This place is the cheapest option in the area, and I was very pleased with my 4 night stay. As others have said you get what you pay for. Importantly it's clean and tidy, the owner pleasant and friendly, the bed was comfortable. There was a new digital TV in the room, free WiFi, breakfast was fine, cereals / toast / cooked option of bacon,sausage,beans,egg.
But it hasn't been redecorated in 30 years, the letters of recommendation from 1984/5 on wall and signed photos of Lenny Henry & Chris Tarrant are clues.
If you want modern then pay a bit more and go down the road to the Premier Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are a bit noisy from the road
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Adam D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed 1 night at the beginning of may, lovely warm welcome , our room was basic but very clean everything in there that you need, breakfast very good we would certainly return and reccomend this to others many thanks

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dianabirduk
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I. found the place Quiet Adiquate for my needs, beds where clean and fresh looking, mattresses where ferm, but every 1 has own taste in that. rooms where clean, rooms had Tv Combies, the Owners where pleasant and most Acomadating. Brakefast was Small but once again Given room prices, and that Brakefast is included in that price I feel that that was Adicuate. Rooms where warm all time but not to hot. found room tempritures colder at a Premier Inn, there was plenty Hot Water to wash, or shower, clean towels where given to me on arival.

Tea & Coffee Making Facility's are available on request, not supplied in rooms, I also found the Owners Acomadating when came to Children. all in all plesent Stay, and would stay Again

• Stayed October 2012
Bromborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Friendly, pleasant place to stay. Decent size room with shower and toilet. Old fashioned decor but added to the charm. The ceiling fan was a great asset! Freshly cooked breakfast completed my stay nicely. Overall great value for money

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Derby
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stayed here only for 1 night, i had a warm welcome when i entered. I had a single room booked, the room was a good size, but some furniture could do with a bit of modernisation but saying that the room was very clean and was nicely decorated like you would find in a travel lodge it also had a digital flat screen tv. I had a great sleep the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good as they serve a cooked english breakfast as well as cereals I was happy with my stay and if i need a room in leicester i would come back to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank sam j
Macclesfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I stayed here for a week while I was working nearby. It is two semis, which have been converted to a large guest house, with several parking bays at the front. My room had a wc and a shower which had been built into a decent sized room, it has to be said in a slightly hotch potch way, but everything worked. Ultra chic it is most definitely not, functional probably describes it better, but I was very happy with the facilities and service. The room was clean and tidy, with a little desk and chair by the window which I found useful, and tea & coffee on a tray. the bed was very comfortable and the shower was good (temperature and strength of water jet). Breakfast was fine – cereal and toast plus a fairly small cooked breakfast, which was just right for me, I didn’t want an enormous breakfast, and the plates were warmed so the food didn't go cold. The people were friendly too, but not so friendly that it was intrusive, if you know what I mean, If I come back to Leicester I will be happy to book here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Tony S
East Midlands
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We were welcomed by a gentleman who just asked us to put our names in the book and then disappeared to get his daughter to take us up to our room. No pleasantries or welcoming ambionce.
The bedroom doors all had tatty sticky tape over old locks and were old fashioned fire doors where you had to lock with a key inside and out.
No welcome tray and when all you want is a coffee after a long journey, that was discraceful, especially when the website states tea/coffee in rooms!
The room was desperate for a complete overhaul, woodchip with a floral border and cracks in the walls. The furniture was like some from the 80's, cream double wardrobe with stick on floral decals, nothing matched in the room and looked like they had just got a job lot from the local junk auction.
The shower was a cubicle straight from the room with black mould on the tiles and ceiling. The toilet was carpetted!! The sink was in the room, obviously where it had always been, and had the only working light, apart from a ceiling light in the bay window.
The divan was tatty but the bedding was clean and the towels were white and unmarked.
The heating wasn't on and it was quite chilly but it did come on whilst we were out later that evening but by the time we had gone to bed it was freezing in the room.
Breakfast was basic; 1 sice of bacon, 1 sausage, 1 egg and a scoop of cold beans! Hardly a full English Breakfast, shameful. We were able to help ourselves to cereal and toast, juice and coffee, but really not what we have previously experienced as a full breakfast.
Overall I think this Guest House is more like a DHSS doss house I'm afraid, so I don't know how they were awarded a Tourism Award of 2 stars! It needs the Hotel Inspector because people are paying for this and it is not what they expect from the description on an obviously very old website, as the chairs are different in the dining room, Trades Descriptions etc surely comes into this?

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple