“Families avoid if swimming is important to you.”
Review of Hilton Leicester

Hilton Leicester
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We were in Leicester on business and turned it into a 4 day family holiday with stay play and explore. The hotel was lovely, rooms were clean and comfortable (best nights sleep I've had in a hotel room in years). Staff were friendly the breakfast was great. Staff were extra helpful to our children and there were lots of small child friendly touches such as peanut butter at breakfast. Unfortunately, this did not extend to the leisure club - for us this is an important part of a family holiday. Children only allowed into the leisure club Mon - Thu first thing till 7pm. We left our stay play and explore attraction early to use pool and be out by 7. There were a number of problems:- 1) reception staff were rude. 2) Lack of space in reception area due to the gym facilities being in the same room. (a child was knocked over by another customer using gym as pathway to changing room is only approx 20inches wide - not enough for a parent and toddler to get through) 3) Pool busy - 3 lanes, 1 for lessons (2 people in), 1 for lane swimming (2 people in), third one full of families some trying to play, others trying to swim, also slow lane swimmers trying to go up and down. Not enough space left. 4) staff were rude and asked families to stay out of way of club members including the slow lane swimmers who barged on through. 5) I asked the staff when the lane arrangement finished - was told 7.30 but all brats must be out by then as it is for the adults to relax. 6) Club members pushed my toddler out of way in the pool - he got ducked under the water and panicked. Member then complained to staff who told us off (without checking what the problem was) - went as far as shouting at us to keep the noise down. 7) There is one family changing room for lots of families - so when we left after 10 minutes we had to wait in a cold hallway waiting for 2 families in front of us to finish. Staff would not provide extra towels to keep children warm when we were waiting, our clothes and towels were in a locker inside the single family room. 8) Leisure club was not interested in our complaints. I was basically told to b****** off when I asked for the manager. As my children were cold and in tears I opted not to pursue matters further. The rest of the hotel and staff were lovely and could not have been more helpful, and were great with the kids, but due to the leisure club I would never bring my family back here. Since swimming is such a big deal in a family holiday we became day members at the leisure club of an adjacent hotel in the next 2 days - where we were welcomed. I would suggest that in school holidays and weekends there is an hour set aside in the evening where families are welcomed, without lanes etc. I would also suggest that this is a little later - most attractions shut at 5pm, and it takes until 6 / 6.30 to get back to the hotel. Perhaps 6.30 or 7pm start so families could make the most of the day. If this was well publicised then the impact on the other leisure club members would be minimal - they could choose to avoid this hour.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Natasha N
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. Whilst I was delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed their stay with us, I was sorry to hear of your disappointing visit to our Health Club. Your feedback has been shared with the Club Manager to further review.

Thank you again for your feeback.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

These are the reasons my son and I were so disappointed with

- my son was charged £60 to use the wi fi for a week... other hotels have a free facility!
- room service charged my son £9.70 for a bottle of water to take his medication, apparently it was £4.70 + £5 tray service!
- the flasks of coffee at breakfast were tepid, I was offered a costa coffee, but why couldn't I have my own fresh coffee pot?
- windows frames in room both our rooms were dirty and mouldy
- drawers in both rooms broken and jammed
- carpets stained in my room
- bathroom basin looked as though it was going to fall out of the vanity unit at any time

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on trip advisor.

I was sorry to hear that your expectations were not met on this occasion.

May I apologise for the service shortfalls encountered in our restaurant, room service and bed room. Your feedback has been shared with the F&B and Maintenance managers to investigate further and to take corrective action.

With regards to your comment regarding the charge for wifi in our rooms whilst this is a charge in our rooms, we do provide complimentary access for all of our guests in our public areas including the bar and restaurant.

May I again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Overall the hotel was very nice but was disappointed at the lack of complimentary biscuits in the room,the overall prices charged for wifi/food/drinks. Breakfast however was very good & the young waitress who was serving provided excellent service.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor after your recent stay. I was delighted to hear that you had had an enjoyable stay and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

4 of us stayed at the Hilton for a night when in Leicester to watch the rugby. The hotel is a little way from the town centre, but definitely significantly better quality than where everyone else seemed to find for similar money.
Rooms were large and comfortable if a bit impersonal.
During the roadworks, watch carefully for the hotel entrance sign if you don't want to drive a couple of extra miles!
And remember your swimmies - I didn't....

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

stop here every year even though we only live about a mile away. place does seem rather tired now especially the bathroom. breakfast is very good, not happy one bit at having to pay £5 to park in the hotel overnight

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to post your feednack on Trip Advisor. I have shared your feedback regarding our bathrooms with our Maintenance Manager to further review. With regards to our parkling charges , when introduced the management wanted to show transparency and charge them separately rather than include them in the room rate. We will include your comments when we next review our parking provision. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

had a wonderful weekend at hilton leicester going to book for a large group my son is getting married later this year went to leicester to check out three hotels and have decided on hilton did not have time to check out leisure facilites will use next trip only negative was having to pay for parking

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be considering to use us again later in the year when you attend your son's wedding. We look forward to welcoming you and your family and friends back to the hotel.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed at the hotel last weekend room was clean, though a glass topped table in family room with young children not a good idea, this obviously needs reviewing. Wifi should be complimentary they have it everywhere now you can now get it in most shops, on the train and bus etc so it is now not a luxury, but something that comes as standard. As with other reviews the hotel does need to look at certain areas in the hotel that requires attention paint and plaster falling of walls.
But on a positive note the hotel was fantastic we did not have an evening meal because of a wedding reception but did have breakfast, the food was very well presented with plenty of choice and cooked to perfection, the staff in the restaurant, were very attentive as so were the rest of the staff, we did use swimming pool and facilities and were clean and to a good standard, staff again were very helpful as well.
In general an excellent place to stay, would definatly stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on trip advisor after your recent stay. I was sorry to hear that you were not totally satisfaied with your stay and have shared your feedback with the relevant departments to review and take the necessary action .
We welcome all feedback and am grateful for your comments. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.