“Tatty example on an impossibly confusing junction.”
Review of Hilton Leicester

Hilton Leicester
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This has to be one worst examples of a Hilton in the UK. Begin your experience by negotiating a poorly signposted and dreadful confusing intersection of busy roads. When you arrive you eyes fall on what looks like a poorly maintained vast Pizza Hut. Then you begin to pay. First for parking then for internet access - a breathtaking £14.99 a night. This might be mitigated by a nice room but sadly not. Smelling strongly of paint with elderly fixtures and fittings, room 171 had the most weird configuration I have seen with a sort or breakfast bar come office behind the bed. My room service salad was served without love or any evidence of experience.

Friendly staff made up for this disappointing stay a little but I could have a had a much more pleasant evening and saved £60 by staying in a Premieir Inn.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DavidMDevizes
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post yur feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to hear that your expectations were not met on this occasion, and apologise for the disappointment.

I have shared your feedback with the relevant Heads of department to further review.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I took my family on Leicester stay and play trip and choose to stay here at the hilton.
There was me my wife and my two children age 5 &3
We checked in at 5pm ok then went to the pool only to be told that we had to book as they have no life guards they said would call us on room phone when to come back.so walked all the way back to room only to have a call 3 mins later to go back!.

We went to bed at 10:30pm only to be woken up at 3am by huge fight on our floor bad language and people threatening to kill each other.
My wife phoned the hotels emergence phone number for 15 mins to NO answer.
At this time the police had arrived and were trying to calm things down.
I then phoned this phone number and it was answered and told them this was not good enough as we could not leave our room and could not get any info off the hotel.
You try telling a 3&5 year old that it will be ok at 03:30 in the morning.

Aftehr trying to see the manager in the morning I got to see him in the afternoon who said how sorry he was but offered us free lunch that was nice but what would he have done in our situation
All in all 15 rooms complained some erasure acne would have help?

Also wifi is available yes it is at £15 per day,this cost nothing for the Hotel but charge this price!
To buy a film for the children to watch on tv £10.99 you con get 3 dvds for that!!!

All in all if you want to stay here it's up to you but remember to be ripped off and night staff that could not take an emergence call when all he'll was taking place!!!

Never coming back here!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Barry L
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor after your recent stay. I was sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

We unfortunately during your stay did have an incident caused by a group of guests who created a situation which was out of our control, and required external assistance to bring under control. We are disappointed by the behaviour of some of our guests, which we find unacceptable and unwelcomed. We are very apologetic to our other guests who were unfortunately disturbed by the situation.

We are reviewing all of the feedback we have received regarding this incident to assist us should we have such an incident again in the future.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I took my girlfriend here as I've used it previously for business and always found it very good. My girlfriend arrived 3.30 pm Sunday, I had booked a deluxe room, dinner and breakfast for £168 not a bad deal in my eyes but not great either, by the way dinner was carvery, my girlfriend was told on arrival not good enough for a Hilton in my opinion .She was given room 180 but the curtains were hanging off the ceiling so she was moved to 177, all done well and efficiently I was told but still not good enough !! it was supposed to be a garden view, please hope you don't get 177, as the garden view is about 10 feet of pavement and grass whose only use is as a laundry route for staff nice!! arrived myself at 7.00 pm asked about the upgrade I had offered to pay for and was told I was in a deluxe room - confused me too - room just didn't live up to my expectations. The carvary however, was better than I thought but lots of screaming kids, other children using the public piano as practice(chopsticks and the opening to an adele song constantly for over an hour, deep joy) and at times long queues for food not my thing!!! must stress this didn;t happen often , also we sat by the wall divided in the middle of the dining lounge, take a look hotel manger its dirty with food stains all over it again not good enough . We both slept well then down for breakfast again a bit cattle market and kids with parents who cant or wont control them seems to be a fact more and more in the uk for me !!!! also coach driver outside very horn happy just what you want when having a relaxing bank holiday breakfast !!!. This poor stay was topped of with someone being arrested as we went to check out, in public, in reception, priceless really priceless, we just left I phoned the hotel later to explain . More cattle market budget stay than usual hilton quality for me, if Im honest Im a bit gutted as i had promised my girlfriend nice food nice rooms great gym which is what you get monday to friday , please don't go here on the weekend its s**t !!

Room Tip: dont go on the weekend
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectaions on this occasion. Your feedback has been shared with all the departments so that we may learn from your experience and ensure no future repetition.

It is with regret an incident had occurred at the hotel, an unfortunate situation out of our control which we were trying to minimise the impact to our other guests.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Firstly let me start by saying there were no problems with my room, which was spacious and well appointed, if a little dated and soulless..

Service was very good on check in, out, at the bar and at breakfast.

The food and drink were of excellent quality, as was the spa - which is always a nice touch when I get a day off..

What lets the hotel down - and the whole Hilton brand - are the cynical extras you are forced to pay for..

First off - parking.. You have to pay £5 for the car park.. As the hotel is in the middle of nowhere next to the motorway I can only assume everyone drives here, netting them a bonus £5 per room..

Next - and even worse - £15 per 24 hours for wifi access.. Are you kidding me? In this day and age to even charge, let alone this extortionate amount is ridiculous. I resorted to using my phone as a hotspot instead..

These sort of hidden extras are not what I expected from the Hilton brand. The hotel employees should wear balaclavas and carry bags marked 'swag' as they mug you.. "Ah but if your a gold or platinum HHonours card holder you get free wifi" - sadly I will never get to be that high up their reward chain as when given the choice in future I will elect to stay elsewhere..

Please incorporate these fees into the room rate - I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at paying an extra £20 per night, but get very annoyed with extra charges that are inescapable; as you can probably tell (don't get me started on Ryanair..)

Disappointing...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback after your recent stay.

I was disappointed to hear that your stay did not fully meet your expectations especially with our charges for the hotels car park and wifi provision.

When we introduced the parking charges originally, we chose to show transparency to our guests by charging this separately rather than including in the room rate. A decision which we review on a regular basis in response to our customer feedback. Likewise whilst there is a charge for wifi in our guest rooms, we do provide complimentary access throughout our public areas including the bar and restaurant.

We welcome your feedback and will include it when we review our pricing strategies in the future. Thank you again.

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I can honestly say we loved this hotel. I booked it for my boyfriends birthday and we were not disappointed. Our room was in a corridor that had obviously had new carpet, felt very luxurious underfoot and our room (133) was a stones throw from the gym and pool which we enjoyed using that afternoon. The room itself was superb and I was super impressed by the selection of free goodies we got as I had happened to mentioned it was my boyfriends birthday. It was such a lovely touch and very much appreciated! We went out in the evening, the reception lady booked our taxis for us without any fuss at all and we had no problems in finding the taxi etc which made things very plain sailing . The bar staff were very attentive and the housekeeping staff were very friendly. Breakfast was awesome. Not a bad word to say about it. Would definitely return if I was coming to the area again. Many thanks Hilton Leicester!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to hear that both you and your boyfriend were looked after by our team so well, and hopefully made your boyfriends birthday truly memorable.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have stayed in many Hilton hotels in the UK, and I must say that the customer service at this hotel was the best to date. The receptionist was so friendly and helpful- the same lady checked us in and out (Jodie I think her name was) and she was welcoming and informative. Unfortunately, the lady working in the pool was slightly abrupt and rude about opening hours for children (I think she could have explained in a nicer manner) however, the ladies working in the pool the next day made up for this, again providing excellent customer service. Also all the bar staff, restaurant staff, breakfast staff= lovely!

The location of the hotel is better than I thought, opposite a retail park which was an unexpected surprise. The shops were really good and we preferred walking there than driving into the city centre. The only problem with the location is it was a bit tricky to find the hotel. There are a lot of roundabouts in the area and it was easy to get lost.

The facilities were great.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the majority of our staff freindly and helpful. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Attended a seminar at the hotel so stayed over night for next appointment. Well located and comfortable hotel, after reading previous reviews I asked for a first floor room overlooking the car park and this is what I got. Very quiet, slept with the window wide open and this was perfect. All the staff were helpful, pleasant and polite. Had a swim which was pleasant and de-stressing, comforatable bar and lounge areas just like other Hiltons. Food a bit expensive. Only one hour free WiFi but this turned out to be enough for me to do my emails. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: First floor overlooking the car park or the courtyard (maybe people sitting out there in summer)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

I was delighted to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.