“Average”

Ranked #34 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Derby
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

Stayed here for a wedding, which first of all I would like to say was very enjoyable. Check in was fine, I left my card details and opened an account, then we went to our room before going down for the welcome drink, which I have to say were lovely! However, my husband then went to the bar to order a drink on our account, and was told he could not as we did not have one. It took some time for the bar staff to contact the reception who said that they had not put the details in yet. My husband did say that he felt he was being accused of "trying it on" which is not a good start to a celebration.
The reception room was decorated beautifully, the food was nice but the potatoes were a bit on the frazzled side and were nearly whipped away before one of our party had even got to them.
The room was fine, bed was comfortable and it was nice for my daughter to actually have a proper bed in a family room. Bathroom a bit dated, in need of a bit of refurbishment. We were by the car park so it was a bit noisy at times I heard someone leaving at about 4am.
One cause for concern was that fairly late on during the evening about 11pm the fire alarm went off. The bar staff kept serving, the disco carried on and basically nobody took any notice. We went to reception with my brother and his wife to find out what was happening and if we should be evacuating, to be told that she had just been about to evacuate the hotel but it was a false alarm. Good job if it had been a real fire precious time would have been lost.
Breakfast was buffet style and ok as we were on a package with the wedding, but if I had paid £10 for it I would have expected it to be freshly cooked and a bit warmer.
Overall an ok hotel not one that I would rush back to, but certainly not one that I would avoid.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
LHMS, CEO of Lester Hotels at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Thanks for your review and sorry that the double checks by the bar to stop people putting drinks on other people room numbers caused a problem, but glad we got it sorted out.

As soon as the fire alarm went off the fire marshall went to the zone to check and reported that it had been inadvertently set off by a guest who had apologised. As a result there was no need to evacuate as we were able to reset the system. Rest assured as soon as the alarm goes off it is investigated.

Sorry we dont rate higher than you have stated, but a wedding is not really the idea way to judge us as our focus has to be on serving as many people as possible as quickly as possible and then getting stuff out of the room as quickly as possible so as not to be ontrusive....hence the potato scenario.

Sounds like a case of less haste more speed on our part.

Hope we see you agaion.

david

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Desborough
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

Stayed here for a wedding. I work not far from the hotel and had heard good reviews of the food.

Staff were pleasant apart from one bar person who did not have the right temperament for working at a wedding reception. Tried to limit the wine even though it was paid for.

The food was okay but the main was spoilt by over cooked roast potatoes, vegetables that were whipped away before you had time to look at them. Rather amiss there were no serving spoons.

The rooms were adequate, a nice size but a bit dark. It was very quiet having playing fields at the back of the hotel, which is on quite a busy road.

The breakfast a buffet which is adequate, some of it was a bit cold.

Overall it's not a brilliant hotel, but it's not a bad one either.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RealAlers
Thanks for your review and your comments.

Whilst the wine is paid for, a limit will have been set so the team have to constantly monitor what has/is consumed so it can last for the requisite time. Sorry if this caused an issue. I have spoken to David the GM at the hotel about the potatoes as these should not have been overcooked, but there again if we undercook or dont colour veg and potatoes we get complaints about that, but sorry anyway.

Surprised to hear comments about bits of breakfast being not as hot as they could have been and we have got the electricians in to check the effectiveness of the lamps on the buffet unit.

Thanks for your comments which are greatly appreciated

Southampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

I stayed in the Best Western Stage hotel in the first week of March.
The hotel is situated just 5 - 10 minutes away from Leicester city centre, but travel time will be longer during peak hours.
Check in was fine and I was given a room upgrade, with a room away from the main road. Whilst the room was clean, it was tired and in need of refurbishment. The upgrade gives air conditioning, which to be honest in March in not really required , however this unit also serves as the room heating, and it's operation was noisy to say the least. But once switched off I did enjoy a good nights sleep.
The TV was modern and Freeview equipped, and the complimentary Wi-Fi worked fine.
I would have liked to have used the gym, but it was closed and the staff could not give any suggestion as to when it might be re-opening.
I used the restaurant and bar on all 3 nights, and found the food to be fine with a good selection from light bites, through to a 3 course option. The bar and waiting staff I found to be friendly.
There is a seperate residents lounge with Sky TV available, but I understand that the Sky option will not be available for much longer.
Breakfast was a buffet, and a good selection was available, albiet with smallish plates.
If I am working in the same area again, I would be looking at other hotels in the Best Western chain first before re-booking a stay, but this is not to say it was a bad hotel, just a little tired.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
LHMS, CEO of Lester Hotels at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
I am glad that overall you enjoyed the stay and I am concerned you were told the gym was closed as it wasnt and I think there must have been some confusion between gym and leisure club [obviously on our side as you knew what you wanted].

We are currently negotiating to re-open the Leisure Club [swimming pool, sauna etc].

Glad that overall, you enjoyed the hotel and we are refurbishing on a rolling programme and have refurbished half the hotel over the past few years.

Hope we see you again.

Kind regards

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

The first thing I found was that the Leisure Centre was closed (and had been for several months) although it was still advertised on the web site - one of the reasons I selected this hotel. Over the course of my stay I often observed the evening staff standing talking, whilst the restaurant manager was delivering meals and taking orders. The staff at breakfast could not do enough to assist.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Thanks for your review and I am concerned that a web site shows the Leisure Club as being open as that was closed several years ago, although we are curreently negotiating to have it reopened....apologies if you were mislead, but the gym is still open.

Not sure about how the staff let you and us down as you state the breakfast staff were great, and the restaurant manager was doing everything very well, just no stopping the team chatting.....point noted though.

Hope we see you again.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

From the initial enquiry to the final day of our three day stay the only thing we can say (all 26 of us) is that we were absolutely delighted. The staff could not have been more helpful and pleasant, the rooms were clean and well equipped and the service and the food were excellent. A number of couples stayed for between one and three nights prior to the luncheon on the Sunday. Nothing seemed too much trouble for all members of staff and the chef, Mikey, went out of his way to ensure the meals ordered for such a mixed group were of the highest standard. Many many thanks to everyone at the Stage hotel for making our visit so memorable and enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2011
Dorset
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2010

Dirty Walls, out-dated furnishings, uncomfortable bed. This really is an awful hotel! A major investment really needs to bring this hotel to an acceptable standard. Rooms are spacious, but furnishings are out-dated and walls/floor dirty. Staff are excellent in an otherwise dire hotel. On a working day this hotel seemed very empty, which I can only put down to it's proximity to the motorway network and no unique selling point to attract customers.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank R7yan
LHMS, CEO of Lester Hotels at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this review, 5 November 2010
Thank you for your review and sorry you didnt like the hotel. Since purchasing the hotel a few years ago we have continued to invest in the property, and will continue to do so. Unfortunately in a recession the funds are not always as easily available as we would wish and as the hotel is very popular [despite your observation] it is dificult to plan works in.

Our housekeeping is done by an external contractor and we will bring your comments to their attention.

Sorry we werent your thing but we offer exceptional value for money with a friendly team and are doing rather well.

Kind regards

David

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2010

Having decided to hold our wedding at this hotel we were treated to exceptional service firstly from Jovita whos organising and planning eased any stress that may have occured in the planning of this event.
The function room was immaculately clean,tables perfectly presented and staff extremely attentive, no job was to big or to small for them.
The wedding breakfast couldnt have been any better (unless my wife would have cooked it) the servings were huge, perfectly cooked and served.
The evening buffet once again contained the same high quality food and service.
If you are looking for a venue to hold your wedding and reception all at the same place then the leicester stage would come highly recommened form my wife and myself as well as our guests.
many thanks to all of there staff for making our day

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
LHMS, CEO of Lester Hotels at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this review, 7 November 2010
Glad you enjoyed it and every best wish to you and your family.