“Nothing BEST about this Hotel”

Ramada Leicester Stage
Ranked #33 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Arrived at this hotel which looked run down and dirty on the outside, reception staff were helpful when we couldn't get into our rooms. Once in the room you were aware of a nasty mould type smell. The mattresses were very lumpy and dipped to the point where you could feel the base of the bed when you sat on them & the base of the beds were badly stained. The room was dusty with stains all over the carpet. The bathroom was very dated and faded. The bath had puddles of what I believe to be cleaning fluid around the edges & inside the bath had a rusty tarnished plug hole with splashes of rust up the bath. If you felt the need to freshen up upon arriving you certainly did after using these facilities. The restaurant bar served drinks in dirty glassware. The food was diabolical to say the least, The starter of tomato soup which had no taste or dried up pate both inedible, the main dishes were children's portions and cold.( Two slices of meat with one piece of cauliflower, three slices of carrots, three roast potatoes and one pig in blanket). The dessert was a little better but again dry and not enough quantity to serve other guests wishing to choose the same dessert. Once we had survived a night in this hotel, breakfast was better but again running out of food,and having to wait for more took time, don't ask for another pot of tea/coffee as the staff ignore your request until you give up and leave. The WIFI issue is still ongoing, Ive not known a company take so long to install wifi after reading these reviews. The Best Western Leicester stage hotel do not cater for children when planning their menu three home made chicken nuggets or a dried up slice of pizza is not adequate for children and they do not have any suitable children's drinks behind the bar other than fresh orange juice served to a 2 year old child in a tall dirty glass. I will say thank you to the manager in advance for his automated copy & paste response he has given to every other complaint on tripadvisor. Faulty towers comes to mind after my stay at this hotel and I would most certainly not stay at this hotel again in the future once refurbishments are carried out.

Room Tip: avoid all rooms in this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula E
dam0h, General Manager at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Hi
I would like to take the opportunity to express my unhappiness at your stay. I am somewhat bewildered that you are the only person who has complained regarding your stay however in saying that i would like to address your points.
Our Wi-Fi issue is something that we are waiting on the provider. We in the hotel are ready however as im sure you can understand we are at the beck and call of the service provider.
The issues that you had with food i have discussed with the Chef and have pointed out several aspects of your comments. Whilst the food is served in chaffing dishes it does not exempt the quality being high.
On the night in question the Deputy General Manager was available all shift and would have been more than happy to offer you an alternative should you have wanted.
Please accept my apologies and also on behalf of my team who have asked me to add there apologies to my own.

D Greenwood

There are newer reviews for Ramada Leicester Stage

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I don't know Leicester and punted for a Best Western thinking it should be ok. Maybe not the best idea of the day. Arrived and my eyes saw the window after window with net curtains. But it was booked so I went in. Two Eastern European girls were on reception. They were helpful but not the cheeriest receptionists I have ever met. Mind you it might have been the rather drab foyer area. After I had booked in I went to my room. The main room was dated, in fact I have been to more modern museums, but it was relatively clean. Except the mould on the windows when I opened them to let some air in. The furniture was worn and marked. Then I ventured into the bathroom and walked into my parents green bathroom suite from the 80s, the white toilet suite matched perfectly the once green, very faded suite. Ps the towel rail was last PAT tested in 1999 according to the sticker!!! Decided to have a beer in the bar,sadly in a similar state of neglect and lack of taste. Went into Leicester for a curry after looking at the menu, laminated and left in the room, the photos reminded me of a cheap curry house menu, tacky! Got back and asked for the code to be told they were rewiring and internet was limited. Having since read the reviews I realise the notice and the receptionists comments obviously is a standard response for a lack of investment in wifi! The telly was also hit or miss. The room I was given was near the staff smoking area and they were loud to say the least at 11 and 7 in the morning. If you like the 70/80s you may enjoy this hotel, I for one would only return if they bulldozed it and rebuilt a decent hotel with the 21st Century in mind. Ps I didn't dare try the breakfast in case it looked like on of the dishes pictured on the laminated menu's in the room!

Room Tip: I doubt there is one!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Andy C
dam0h, General Manager at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hi
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry for the disappointment you had during your stay. We are currently undergoing extensive refurbishment which does include new internet for customers. We have already performed a lot of upgrades.
I do hope that you come again in the future and see the improvements we have made.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Hoping to God, that my stay next week will be better than the last two.

Not hopeful, as despite leaving two phone messages for the General Manager, he hasn't had the courtesy of calling me back.

Only reason for staying there at the moment, is that it is close to the premises that I visit in relation to an organisation I am a member of. Some of the staff are fantastic, others we won't even go there.

This could be my last visit, if things don't improve. Wi fi is shocking; Computer in lobby is older than myself, printer not connected.

Breakfast is woeful! Cold Sausages is not the way you want to be starting your day. Lets see what happens next week and I'll review again!

Be grateful, that there is a new Sainsburys across the road from hotel ;-)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank CorkRocks2014

Hi
Please accept my apologies for your recent stay and the experience you had. We are currently having new Wi-Fi installed and i am hopeful that this will add to the customers satisfaction.
I do hope that you come again and see the improvements that we are currently making.

Damian Hemsley
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Slightly dated hotel, could do with being dragged into the 21st century, but overall comfortable, with good service and reasonable food.
Not the worst Best Western I've stayed in
Breakfast is similar to all buffet styles, my only gripe is the coffee could be stronger.
Stay throughout the year when visiting my employees Head Office

Room Tip: Don't get the last room on the second floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review.
I am sorry that you had a disappointment using our Wi-Fi but i can assure you that we are currently undergoing extensive rewiring of the hotel which incorporates a better quality connection.
I do hope that you give us another stay to show you the improvements made.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here during business, hotel clean and staff helpful.

Breakfasts are well laid out and food good, only minor downside is that the free Internet Wi-Fi is practically unuseable. Although I did manage to get it for a short spell at 5pm and 6am, the rest of the time I couldn't get online.

I would stay here again, as room was clean and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for writing your review.
We are currently undergoing extensive work on our W-Fi which will enhance the user experience.
I do hope that you will use us again in the future

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We booked a sunday lunch on Easter Sunday for my Mum's 70 birthday. As there was about 25 people in the party my parents went in the week before to pre order the wine and to ask it would be possible to have gluten free gravy as one of the party has a food allergy. They didn't have much confidence as the duty manager kept refering to "The wine menu" not "wine list".They were assured this was possible and would possible by the duty manger.
On arrival we order pre lunch drinks and was served by a bar man who clearly had left all customer service skills and peronality at home. It seemed to be an inconvience and effort to serve us.
We then took our tables - there was no pre ordered wine on the table - the staff had no idea we had ordered any and then we were advised "the wine you ordered was sold out".
The starters were buffet style but the buffet was half empty. When we asked for more smoke salmon and prawns as stated on the menu - we were told "there's no more it has gone". The wine glasses and cutlery were filthy with lipstick marks and finger prints. The chairs were covered in spots of white paint and clearly seen better days.
Then the main course - there was a 15 mins delay from the first person to be served on our table of 8 to the last. We were then given one dish of vegetables which consisted of 1 piece of brocolli between the 8 of us. The food was cold and the veg was over cooked and disgusting. After we had finished the main courses the apple and horseraddish sauce arrived !!
As for the sweets/puddings there was nothing homemaid - all Brake Brothers frozen puddings.
The waiting staff were polite but were very young and not trained. I felt sorry for them as they were doing their best (probably on minimum wage as not one looked above 18) with no support from any mangement.
My mother wrote a complaint letter the following week and has not even had it acknowledged.
What should have been a very special 70 birthday turned out into a trip to faulty towers.
Anyone thinking of booking a meal or wedding etc at the Stage. DON'T. You would be better crossing the road and getting a ready meal at Sainsbury's local. At least the staff are competent and the food will be hot.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank scratt123
DHemsley, General Manager at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Hi
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience on your function you had with us on Easter Sunday. I am most perplexed regarding this as i myself replied to the letter sent to us. Obviously i cannot comment on certain aspects of your complaint however i have spoken to the relevant staff regarding this and they ask me to add there apologies along with mine.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Just left today after a 3 night stay. The room was very clean and well presented. Tea & coffee facility in the room very good. Bed comfy and although the bathroom facilities are slightly dated, it was clean. The breakfast was plentiful and although not greatly varied, well presented and the staff were pleasant and attentive.
My gripe is on the wifi issue. There was no connection at all and when I approached the duty manager, I found him, though helpful in approach, unhelpful in able to resolve the problem. Having now read previous reviews, it seems this problem has existed for over 2 months.
This hotel was booked due to its position but also as it advertised free wifi and this is important to me. Two months is much too long for this problem to be resolved. With hindsight, read the reviews first, then enquire with the hotel direct about the current situation.
I cannot comment on the leisure facility as I didn't use it, but it seemed handy and popular by the amount of clients passing through.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Hi
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. I do apologize for the wi-fi issue. This is something we have identified as an ongoing problem to which we are now fully refitting the hotel for new internet which we are currently waiting on being provisioned. Once installed this will ensure super fast broadband for all guests.
I do hope this does not detract from using us in the future

Regards