“Retro chic with a hint of Crossroads”

Ramada Leicester Stage
Ranked #34 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Not yet a Grade 1 listed building, but surely in another 50 years this is exactly the sort of place the heritage buffs will be lamenting the loss of. From the fine examples of eighties tiling in the health centre, through the Autobahn service area inspired front decking, to the ill matching white seat and olive toilet in our bathroom, this place was perfect for a stay when you've got an evening at Leicester Racecourse lined up taking in the sounds of Hue and Cry, T'Pau and the silver fox that is now Nick Kershaw. Excellent value, friendly staff, a comfortable room (with plenty of little milk cartons... how often can you say that!) and a decent enough breakfast selection let down only by a lack of decent cheese. Really can't complain for the money. Near a tree by a river there's a hole in the ground, where an old man of Aran goes around and around, and his mind is a beacon in the veil of the night, for a strange kind of fashion there's a wrong and a right...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rob C
dam0h, General Manager at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Hi
I am glad that you had a good time with us and am happy that you took the time to write your review.
I do hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

After reading the reviews I was dreading staying at this hotel. I have never left a review before but feel they need some good feedback after all these negative ones. I really think these people must have stayed at a different hotel as did not have any complaints. 9 of us stayed for Leicester Ladies Day and had the dinner bed and breakfast package. We all agreed on how clean the rooms were, pleasant staff and food was cooked perfectly. The one thing that did let them down was refilling of breakfast buffet, but would not say a huge problem. Yes it may need a little updating but what do you want for your money?? If you want 5 star service then pay for it!! All 9 of us will be booking up for the same time next year.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hi
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am happy that you had an enjoyable stay and do hope to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed here for one night on a business trip (the hotel was booked by company, so not chosen by me). It was a dinner bed and breakfast booking. I only ever leave reviews on trip advisor if I've had an excellent experience of terrible experience and this one was terrible. In fairness, the room itself was fine, i.e. clean, comfy, no noise issues etc. However the food is honestly the worst I have ever tasted and the service by the waiter was absolutely shocking. I ordered thai fish cake starter which was plonked down in front of me by a waiter who looked like he really didn't want to be there. I managed one small mouthful of the fish cake which tasted like it looked...vile. When the rude waiter returned it was obvious to see I hadn't eaten any of the food, you would think that he would have asked something along the line of "how was your starter?"...but no, he picked up the plate, said nothing at all and walked away. He then returned with my main course some 20 minutes later, again said nothing at all, plonked it down on the table and walked away. The main was chicken breast and chips with peppercorn sauce on the side...I'm thinking surely the chef/cook can't screw this up....well I was wrong. The chicken looked like it had been cooked some time previously and clearly reheated in microwave or left to dry out on a grill for a long time as it was dry and tough, almost like a plastic texture. I was unable to eat any of it so left to go make my complaints to the management. The deputy manager said he would speak to the chef and waiter and I went off to bed with an empty stomach. It'll be interesting to see if the hotel have refunded the company that paid for the meal. It was only 20 quid for the food but any decent manager would surely be embarrassed to take any payment for the disgraceful food served up. I did mention to my taxi driver the next day about my experience here and he said that many others have had similar problems. Even reading previous reviews, it's clear to see that this place has problems which the current management team seem unable to address. If any directors of the business are reading this maybe they should pay it a visit with a view to retraining staff and management or simply getting rid of the inept staff currently employed and replace with people with better hospitality skills. I think my organisation (IOSH) use this place regularly as it's near the training centre, but they did mention using somewhere else in future so hopefully I'll never need to return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Avoid eating here
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank dwil57

Hi
Thanks for taking the time to write your review.
In relation to the food issue. I have spoken to my Deputy General Manager whom i believe you discussed the issue with on the night. He has informed me that we haven't charged for the meal you received and he also has investigated why you received the poor meal to begin with.
I would like to take the opportunity to apologize for your stay and the service received.

If there is anything else we can do then please just either let me know or my Deputy.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

When we arrived at this hotel i was shocked to see before me a run-down dive, we got off the coach and entered the run down building into the reception which looked very dated; we were allocated a room and given a key card.

After making our way to our rooms our key card did not work, this problem was quickly rectified by reception staff. We entered the room and were greeted with a dirty stained carpet, beds that had silhouettes embedded in the mattress (basically they needed replacing) and a musky stale smell, we headed into the bathroom to freshen up before our evening meal to discover it was very dirty, the shower curtain was filthy and had what I can only describe as faeces stains in the toilet.

My partner braved the shower and when she was finished we noticed written in the mirror a vulgar message left behind by someone which read “you have aids” I did photograph this as I was very annoyed at the fact had my child been older and of reading age I would have had to have a lovely conversation explaining about HIV. This also shows that the mirror had not been cleaned along with the rest of the room.

We left our room for the evening meal to walk into a damp smelling room which was the restaurant; we sat down on wobbly dirty chairs awaiting our meal to be served. We purchased some drinks at the bar and were given them in dirty glasses and the only drink they had for children was pure orange juice given in a glass for small children. Once our food was ready we were given the choice of tomato soup in a small bowl with a stale bun or a small saucer of pate so not very child friendly starters, the main course was even worse we opted for steak and ale pie with chips which the manager and one other member of staff served, the whole meal would have fitted into the palm of one of my hands and I have small hand so this gives you an understanding of the portion sizes, for my child the only option was chicken nuggets with chips or a very over cooked pizza slice with chips, we got 3 chicken nuggets and about 15 chips given to us on the plate approximately a quarter of what a McDonalds kids meal would have served. Our desserts were a little better as they were shop bought but dry and small portions again. As this was not a buffet style restaurant there was no option of more food, As i said earlier the manager served us the food and would notice this but did nothing to solve the problem or he choose to ignore it.

We headed back to our rooms feeling very depressed and hungry, we tried to use the hotels free Wi-Fi service to only find this was not working despite the notice explaining a poor Wi-Fi service due to an upgrade, since returning home and reading reviews online I find this has been a problem for many months and you can’t blame the service provider for this problem as I have full knowledge and understand networking there is no reason you cannot purchase an internet connection and then use routers and also access points setup throughout or even power line the equipment to fix this issue.

My partner was so disappointed he considered phoning for a taxi back home, as his carer he was worried about his health conditions becoming worse from the poor state of the beds. We decided to remain where we were for the sake of our child but did consider finding the coach driver and asking the driver if we could sleep on the coach.

The next morning we headed to the restaurant for breakfast at 8am for it opening, this was much better than the evening meal as it was a buffet style so we could actually feed our child something decent after a hungry night without adequate food, I enjoyed the breakfast but found the eggs on my plate were under cooked and that the bacon looked as if it had been left outside of a refrigerator for a day or two before being cooked and had a queer taste, so I did not eat those but the rest was fine, I did however ask for some more tea (for myself) and (coffee) for my partner only to be given 1 jug of coffee and no pot of tea, we give up waiting and feel some of the staff have trouble paying attention to guests.

We headed back to our room and decided to use the kettle which had been provided inside the rooms only to find it was dirty. The TV was not tuned in so I had to do this myself so my child could watch cartoons, we went to reception to ask for some milk as we were missing this in our tea set in our room, the woman on the desk told us she would sort this out and rang someone, I am still waiting for that milk to arrive and I have been home for 7 days now.

I await the sarcastic comments of the manager or either his repetitive answers to others as to be fair he obviously cannot see what is right in front of him, staying in this hotel totally ruined our family trip, also i have included the photograph of the mirror mentioned before.

My message to the manager is as follows, your hotel needs a revamp on a major scale, while your staff smile and are polite i advise some of them to pay more attention to guests and if they did not hear what as guest asked for instead of walking away or standing there smiling actually ask the guest to repeat themselves as this will be more useful, also the Wi-Fi issue can be resolved very quickly and cheaply if you cannot do this yourself you should be pushing your service provider to have this fixed within a reasonable time-scale or better still change service providers, as for the desktop PC you have in the lobby my honest opinion is replace this extremely quickly as although it fits in with the 80's style décor of you reception once you have carried out revamps this will stick out like a sore thumb no one wants to use a PC that is this old and this will not cost you much to change over maybe £300 total cost or better still i can sell you one cheaper, now as for the mattress you need to replace these asap they actually serve no purpose and you may as well sleep on the divan bases, your TVs should be tuned in for all rooms and also you need to hire more cleaning staff or retrain them as i think brown stains in and around the toilet is very unhygienic especially around a small child, your evening meals need a major overhaul or better still hire another chef its basically that simple and i don't run a hotel so if i can see this why can you not ?

Room Tip: Just do not book into here
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank d a

Hi
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am most disappointed in the mirror issue. This has been immediately sorted and i can only offer my apologies for this. As far as the Wi-Fi issues go, without going into detail there has been a delay which has been beyond our control which has severely pushed back the deployment of the new network. I'm sure that you can understand this.
I have spoken to all relevant members of staff whom was working the night you stayed.
I am most sorry of the inconvenience and hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Arrived at this hotel which looked run down and dirty on the outside, reception staff were helpful when we couldn't get into our rooms. Once in the room you were aware of a nasty mould type smell. The mattresses were very lumpy and dipped to the point where you could feel the base of the bed when you sat on them & the base of the beds were badly stained. The room was dusty with stains all over the carpet. The bathroom was very dated and faded. The bath had puddles of what I believe to be cleaning fluid around the edges & inside the bath had a rusty tarnished plug hole with splashes of rust up the bath. If you felt the need to freshen up upon arriving you certainly did after using these facilities. The restaurant bar served drinks in dirty glassware. The food was diabolical to say the least, The starter of tomato soup which had no taste or dried up pate both inedible, the main dishes were children's portions and cold.( Two slices of meat with one piece of cauliflower, three slices of carrots, three roast potatoes and one pig in blanket). The dessert was a little better but again dry and not enough quantity to serve other guests wishing to choose the same dessert. Once we had survived a night in this hotel, breakfast was better but again running out of food,and having to wait for more took time, don't ask for another pot of tea/coffee as the staff ignore your request until you give up and leave. The WIFI issue is still ongoing, Ive not known a company take so long to install wifi after reading these reviews. The Best Western Leicester stage hotel do not cater for children when planning their menu three home made chicken nuggets or a dried up slice of pizza is not adequate for children and they do not have any suitable children's drinks behind the bar other than fresh orange juice served to a 2 year old child in a tall dirty glass. I will say thank you to the manager in advance for his automated copy & paste response he has given to every other complaint on tripadvisor. Faulty towers comes to mind after my stay at this hotel and I would most certainly not stay at this hotel again in the future once refurbishments are carried out.

Room Tip: avoid all rooms in this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula E
dam0h, General Manager at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Hi
I would like to take the opportunity to express my unhappiness at your stay. I am somewhat bewildered that you are the only person who has complained regarding your stay however in saying that i would like to address your points.
Our Wi-Fi issue is something that we are waiting on the provider. We in the hotel are ready however as im sure you can understand we are at the beck and call of the service provider.
The issues that you had with food i have discussed with the Chef and have pointed out several aspects of your comments. Whilst the food is served in chaffing dishes it does not exempt the quality being high.
On the night in question the Deputy General Manager was available all shift and would have been more than happy to offer you an alternative should you have wanted.
Please accept my apologies and also on behalf of my team who have asked me to add there apologies to my own.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I don't know Leicester and punted for a Best Western thinking it should be ok. Maybe not the best idea of the day. Arrived and my eyes saw the window after window with net curtains. But it was booked so I went in. Two Eastern European girls were on reception. They were helpful but not the cheeriest receptionists I have ever met. Mind you it might have been the rather drab foyer area. After I had booked in I went to my room. The main room was dated, in fact I have been to more modern museums, but it was relatively clean. Except the mould on the windows when I opened them to let some air in. The furniture was worn and marked. Then I ventured into the bathroom and walked into my parents green bathroom suite from the 80s, the white toilet suite matched perfectly the once green, very faded suite. Ps the towel rail was last PAT tested in 1999 according to the sticker!!! Decided to have a beer in the bar,sadly in a similar state of neglect and lack of taste. Went into Leicester for a curry after looking at the menu, laminated and left in the room, the photos reminded me of a cheap curry house menu, tacky! Got back and asked for the code to be told they were rewiring and internet was limited. Having since read the reviews I realise the notice and the receptionists comments obviously is a standard response for a lack of investment in wifi! The telly was also hit or miss. The room I was given was near the staff smoking area and they were loud to say the least at 11 and 7 in the morning. If you like the 70/80s you may enjoy this hotel, I for one would only return if they bulldozed it and rebuilt a decent hotel with the 21st Century in mind. Ps I didn't dare try the breakfast in case it looked like on of the dishes pictured on the laminated menu's in the room!

Room Tip: I doubt there is one!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Andy C
dam0h, General Manager at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hi
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry for the disappointment you had during your stay. We are currently undergoing extensive refurbishment which does include new internet for customers. We have already performed a lot of upgrades.
I do hope that you come again in the future and see the improvements we have made.

Mr D Greenwood

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Hoping to God, that my stay next week will be better than the last two.

Not hopeful, as despite leaving two phone messages for the General Manager, he hasn't had the courtesy of calling me back.

Only reason for staying there at the moment, is that it is close to the premises that I visit in relation to an organisation I am a member of. Some of the staff are fantastic, others we won't even go there.

This could be my last visit, if things don't improve. Wi fi is shocking; Computer in lobby is older than myself, printer not connected.

Breakfast is woeful! Cold Sausages is not the way you want to be starting your day. Lets see what happens next week and I'll review again!

Be grateful, that there is a new Sainsburys across the road from hotel ;-)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank CorkRocks2014

Hi
Please accept my apologies for your recent stay and the experience you had. We are currently having new Wi-Fi installed and i am hopeful that this will add to the customers satisfaction.
I do hope that you come again and see the improvements that we are currently making.

Damian Hemsley