“Room 101 - literally !!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Leicester Stage

Ramada Leicester Stage
Ranked #35 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
United Kingdom
“Room 101 - literally !!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

having checked in and had an evening meal at the nearby pub, I returned to my room (101) at about 22.00 extremely tired and anxious for a good nights sleep. The bed was fresh and comfotable and I eagerly anticipated at least 8 hours sleep to rejuvinate me. Alas it was not to be as the noise, initially from the doors in the corridor outside my room was constant as a strean of people seemed to enthuse in conversing outside my bedroom door. Exhausted, I must have nodded off only to be woken again by the noises emanating from and splutter of water and toilet systems in adjacent rooms.
I could clearly hear talking, snoring and the constant flushing of toilets and footsteps above and at 04.30 I thought that a Martian landing was taking place as the water pipes cranked and clanged into overdrive.

In the morning, I mentioned my concerns to the check out staff, who appeared to be of East European origin with limited English and ready smiles albeit totally unresponsive to my complaint. Regretably, I was in a hurry to leave and could not take the matter further.

I actually left the hotel far more tired than when I arrived and therefore if quality of sleep in a peaceful environment is impotant to you then you must avoid this establishment.

I would anticipate a sympathetic rebuttal from the general manager. If, and it is a big IF, my criticism helps another hapless traveller from wasting £60 in the search for a decent nights sleep then I will feel vindicated. I would have been better off sleeping in my car in the car park (but when the funcion rooms which form part of the hotel empty of revellers - it's like Beirut ! - O.K, rant over, but I guess it conveys my dissatisfaction

• 2 of 5 bubbles
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this review, 24 June 2010
Thanks for your review but we seem to have be blamed with the noise made by other guests, other than this you seem to have enjoyed your stay.

I have asked David and his team to ensure that if they have a group that may be "up late" they accommodate these close to reception so they are not disturbing other guests.

Apologies

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

The general manager David Greenwood is a true gentleman and an asset to the hotel him as well as the staff made me feel at home due in a long stay. they were always trying to make thing more enjoyable or better to ensure a greater stay which was very kind and considerate and certain made me and the group feel as if money was well spent due to the atmosphere created by staff money could not buy.

Yorks
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

A dated 'motel' style hotel in a residential area about 30 mins away from Leicester centre in rush hour traffic. Stayed for 2 nights, was much happier on second night as my room carpets and surfaces were cleaned much better - felt very dirty on the first night. Friendly staff, reasonable value. Breakfast ok, evening meal felt and tasted like Little chef - microwave magic...such a shame my regular haunt of Belmont was fully booked - food (same price for set menu) and rooms are light yeras ahead of this place and at similar price and the paper thin walls!!! Was in an 'executive' room - only difference seemed to be sofa...

• 3 of 5 bubbles
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this review, 18 May 2010
Thank you for your review and your most helpful comments.

I appreciate we arent your "regular haunt"but that is no excuse for not offering the standards you were expecting, but it is a bit unfair to compare the two hotels. I am sure the team at "the other place" would be mortified to find you comparing us with theml following all their investment. I am sure they feel they are several notches above us, and to be homest we have no delusions of grandeur. I am however surprised that the rates you get there are the same as ours and I trust their business will recover soon and they dont have to discount so heavily.

We are what we are. We dont microwave food, but we are a friendly hotel offering a decent stay with good grub at sensible prices. We also have the largest conference and banqueting facilities in the area. And we have a decent sized car park! All in all, we are quite popular, but obvious dont suit all tastes.

Our rooms are cleaned by outside contractors and we have passed you comments on and I thank you for these.

Should you ever be stuck in Leicester and cant find any other hotel to stay in you can always be assured of a warm welcome at the Stage!

Kind regards

David

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Fareham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

This is the second time we've travelled from the Portsmouth area to The Stage, visiting family in Wigston. We always stay in their family room (room 122, if I recall correctly). We think it's good value for money given the room size: it's definitely big enough to take the travel cot they provide without encroaching into the room. We travelled with our 10 month old boy and 5 year old girl. They allow our little dog to come too, although we pack her off to the family after one night usually.

There is a FANTASTIC park virtually next door, which is great for the dog, but lovely for children as it's got two playpark areas.

The staff are all very friendly and certainly try their hardest to satisfy.
The breakfast is buffet style, fresh, a good choice, and plenty of it.
The room is very quiet, and we had no disturbances at all.
Loads of free parking.
We've never eaten an evening meal so can't comment on this.

No gripes on the first visit, but this time there were a couple of minor inicidents, although they certainly wouldn't stop us visiting here again:

1. The floor wasn't hoovered on our return after our first day out.

2. The breakfast bowls were filthy on most mornings. It seems they get stacked, and the food dries on before going in the dishwasher, and the dishwasher can't cope with them. On the first morning the head waitress was mortified, and disconcerted to find a second stack of bowls in a similar condition. After about 5-10 minutes she appeared with a fresh stack of bowls beautifully clean... and it appeared she'd probably gone and done the job herself! Disappointed to find the bowls in a similar condition the next morning (but the same head waitress not on duty that day).

3. The babychair they offered us was unuseable as one of clips had broken on the harness, so another was quickly found. However, we were offered the same broken highchair the next morning.

All in all a great place, with only a few very minor problems, a great price, and it will be even better when they (finally) re-open the pool!

Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Thanks for your review and glad you enjoyed your stay.

We now have the dishwasher part that was needed so this now working properly all the time, and we have binned the highchair you were offered and I have no idea why it wasnt binned before as we have new highchairs.

You comment re the hoovering has been passed onto the contractors we use and this feedback has been invaluable.

Thanks for writing a review.

Kindest regards

Folkestone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2010

Stayed at the Best Western Stage Hotel on Saturday night as the hotel's location is very close to Welford Road Stadium (5 minute taxi ride). The rate was very good value for money.

We arrived early (noon) as the rugby match (Leicester Tigers v Harlequins) kicked-off at 3pm, and the rooms were available for us to check-in straight away. Reception staff were very friendly, courteous and professional. We booked 2 twin bedded rooms which were adjacent to each other. These were spacious and clean and offered free wifi which was also great as I had my laptop with me. There was also free use of a safe in the room which was handy, as my laptop fitted nicely inside when I was out, ideal for any business traveller.

The hotel seems to be quite popular for Weddings and other private functions, as there were two going on that evening.

When we returned in the afternoon, we went to the bar to watch the evening match (London Wasps v Bath) which was showing on sky sports on their big screen. They also had a nice selection of drinks available, with one of my favourite rums (Brugal) which isn't always easy to find.

After a good night out in Leicester, I had a surprisingly good sleep. Very peaceful and the beds were extremely comfortable. I woke up refreshed and ready for a good hearty breakfast in the restaurant which was very enjoyable too.

Staff in this hotel were very friendly throughout, from the waitress at breakfast, to the receptionist at check-out, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience which I will be sure to repeat again.

If you're looking for a hotel with character, and want to stay away from the clinical surroundings of your usual premiere inns, holiday inns or even Hiltons that are available in Leicester, this is the one to choose.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this review, 27 April 2010
Glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Your comments are much appreciated by David Greenwood and his team at the hotel.

Thanks and kindest regards!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

I stayed here for 8 nights either side of Easter weekend with work.

The staff were in general friendly and helpful, however very unprofessional. For example, when I checked I heard a member of staff asking the duty manager (who was sitting on the desk) how many people had "walked out without paying" the night before. After later experiences, I assume he was referring to the restaurant.

The food was quite possibly the worst part of the stay. When it was ok it was distinctly average, when it was bad it was terrible. The worst came when I ordered the steak and ale pie which arrived partially cooked and stone cold in the middle. Many of the other meals were either reheated or swimming in oil.

I stayed in two rooms over the 8 nights and both were dated, stained and in need of maintenance. The walls are paper thin - I was awoken one morning to the sound of my neighbours... you can guess what they were doing.

The only good points I can bring out of this hotel are the free wifi (if you're in a room fairly close to reception), sky sports in the room and the friendliness of the staff. But the bad points far outweighed the good and it's safe to say I will recommend to my company to avoid this hotelin future.

• Stayed April 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this review, 20 April 2010
Thank you for your review and I am so disappointed to read the problems you say you encountered. Having asked the hotel to investigate they cannot find a stay that matches the information you have provided and David Greenwood the General Manager is keen to look into this matter further.

Perhaps you would be so good as to contact him direct at the hotel, as your report is very different to those we received from other guests staying at the same time so we are keen to take this further.

Kindest regards [and apologies]

Merthyr Tydfil, S Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

After reading previous reviews, I was worried about staying in the Stage for 3 nights. On check in, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my first room - room 110 was fine. Spotless bedding / towels and more than suitable for my needs.

The following morning - I woke to no hot water. Due to boiler failure, I was moved to an exec room. To be honest this was well worn, with stains on the walls, lamps, bedding and carpets. I even covered what I think was a crusty 'snob' on what would other be a spotless bedsheet. This could have occured when the bed was being made up quite accidentially, and was not on the side I slept so, I did not complain. But I am certain this would have been sorted at once by reception.

While it true the rooms are tired, and there are minor issues, the hotel is much better than its protrayal here. Most staff members were polite and helpful. I would not hesitate checking in again.

Even with these small problems, overall the room was fine. I would recommend the hotel to friends and family and stay there again. I am very picky, and I had no major issues.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this review, 18 March 2010
Thanks for your review and sorry about the boiler failure which meant we had to replace the entire boiler.

Your comments are most welcome and David the GM has discussed your comments with the external company who provide our linen and service our bedrooms.

We continue to invest in the hotel and in the last few years have refurbished over 30 bedrooms, and refurbished virtually all the bathrooms.

The hotel is very popular and as such we strive to keep on top of things and will continue to invest.

You may perhaps know of one of our other hotels near your home....Nant Ddu in the Brecon Beacons?

Kind regards