“Oh dear”
Review of The Belmont Hotel

The Belmont Hotel
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

My partner paid over £100 for a 1 night stay and it was not what you would expect for that price at all. We had a tiny room just big enough for the bed and wardrobe,although I must admit it was very clean. We went out that night and came back around 2 am and my partner wanted to have a shower,we both spent 25 mins trying to get the shower to work but nothing happened so in the morning i ran the bath and was discussed to find the water a vile dirty brown colour even after running it for 5 mins! so we got our stuff and went to check out.when we complained the attitude was basically tough luck you should have told us at 2am! I've stayed in posher BnB's in Blackpool for half the price. I'm only giving a 1 star because I have to give a rating.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donadon81
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I'm very sorry about the incident with the water, we have recently suffered a boiler failure, and an emergency plumbing team were called in to replace the unit, whilst this was taking place they had to drain our water tanks down and this caused water discolouration. My maintenance team have tried to drain off as much as possible but it looks like they didn't manage to get all of it. I'm very sorry about the response from my team though, this is certainly not how I would expect you be treated, and I am trying to contact you direct (via tripadvisor) to discuss this further. My apologies that your stay was not as it should have been.
James Bowie
Operations Manager

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed with 3 young children. From start to finish(even the booking process) the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, and nothing was too much trouble: especially breakfast staff this morning and bar staff last night. The room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable, with plenty of room for our family. The service overall was exemplary. I certainly won't be staying anywhere else on my trips to Leicester.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I paId for a one night stay a few weeks in advance. However, a week or so before my stay I was obliged to change my booking, moving it forward a night. They were happy to do this. However, when I came to check in on the revised date there was no record of my having changed my booking and, despite having paid for a room, nothing was reserved. I waited for five minutes or so while the receptionist searched silently on her computer for a room. She eventually informed me that me that I was 'lucky' as they were not fully booked and had several rooms free. The tone was reproachful and there was no apology for the mix-up. I was then asked to pay for the room I had already paid for. More searching on the computer ensued and several more minutes passed before she was able to confirm I had paid. Again, there was no apology or acknowledgement of error. I was eventually given a room. The room was small, old, tired, and without a proper shower, and generaly rather gloomy and depressing. I felt I had been given an inferior room as retribution for the trouble I had caused the receptionist (though perhaps all the room in this hotel are in this state). It was disappointing, to say the least. On checking out the next morning I was again asked to pay for a room I had paid for in full several weeks before. On the plus side the hotel is within walking distance of the train station.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

As mentioned in my email to you I am very dissapointed that the service you experienced was not as it should be, and that because we were busy we only had older style rooms available. I am working with my reception team to improve service, and with the MD to plan for more refurbishment in the first quarter of 2014.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed for one night in an executive double room. Very clean, well furbished with an excellent bathroom and a very comfy bed. Great service by some attentive staff. Also a good location with only a 5 minute walk to the City center.
Only two small quibbles. It's an old building so has some creaky floorboards and the Wi-Fi was not the best.
Would recommend and would stay again.

Room Tip: We overlooked New Walk and with the Church opposite a great view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed at the Belmont Hotel for one night in October. It was a last minute decision, based mainly on the hotel's location (close to New Walk) and room price, but I enjoyed my stay. The hotel staff were very helpful, as I had to ring a couple of times to check and confirm details. I arrived very late (after 11 p.m.) but had no problems with late check-in. I had deliberately chosen one of the non-refurbished rooms, as I was just looking for a place to sleep, and whilst the decor was (obviously!) old-fashioned, the bed was very comfy, the TV was more modern, and the shower was good, functional and hot (if not very pretty!). The room was also a decent size and I had no problems with traffic noise. I had a good night's sleep (and a good breakfast the next morning) and would stay here again if visiting Leicester for work.

Room Tip: The non-refurbished rooms are a bit chintzy and 80s, but offer good value for money if you're no...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LambethBarrister
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed here with three friends for one night. I pre-booked the rooms, at least a month before. Upon arrival at the hotel, I discovered that although I had booked two rooms, they had only reserved one. This was not what I expected, especially when booking so far in advance. The receptionist did not seem to care and the Deputy Manager tried to fob us off with a bottle of wine as compensation, despite not even asking if any of us actually drank alcohol. TERRIBLE. We were then offered the only room available as an alternative, which was a smoking room. I'm sorry but since when are you able to smoke in hotel rooms?! It smelt vile and there was no attempt made to even freshen the room up with air fresheners - we were given a bottle of spray and expected to do it ourselves! Fuming! Rooms and the whole hotel infact, are very, very dated and require updating, which is a shame as it looks lovely from the outside. Managed to get a small discount on the room after being told, we already had the best rate available. Not acceptable. Not recommended.

Room Tip: Be aware that this hotel is HUGE. Be prepared for endless walks, down endless corridors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emma G
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

I'm very sorry for your experience. We are working to move our booking system to an online system early next year which should eliminate over booking. A great deal of our accomodation has been refurbished but yes we do still have 3 smoking rooms, this helps as we are able to offer them to smoking guests so that they don't smoke in our refurbished bedrooms. I have tried to contact you to discuss this further by emailing you via tripadvisor.
As a 4th generation family business for almost 80 years it pains me personally when we disappoint our guests.

Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Location is very good with easy access to New Walk which leads straight into the city. Plenty of restaurants nearby, I ate in one night having wood pigeon to start which was a little over cooked the turkey dinner was very nice. Breakfast was excellent and all the staff very friendly oh and I did have , a sandwich for lunch also very good.

• Stayed: December 2013
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Ian
Many thanks for leaving a review of your stay at the Belmont, we're very pleased you rated the location of the hotel with 5* and that you enjoyed your Turkey, breakfast & sandwich!