“A good hotel for a rugby and curry weekend”
Review of The Belmont Hotel

The Belmont Hotel
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I used this hotel on a recent trip to Leicester to watch the Tigers. It could not have been better situated. It is less than a mile from the ground and right next door to some of the best Indian restaurants in the city.
Although there was a disco going when we got back it was switched off promptly at midnight so no complaints there. I would definitely use it again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 January 2014

The Belmont is situated very conveniently for the university, train station and city centre and is on the historic New Walk, which in recent years has been restored to gentility. (Use it to walk downhill towards the city or uphill to the De Monfort Hall, a concert venue, for traffic free walking). The staff were very helpful and the public areas are smart and swish. It's an old, rambling building so beware if you have mobility problems. My room was a little disappointing: the crevice tool needs putting on the vac (and using on the corners/edges), and replacing the dirty, threadbare office chair and the horrid grey net and silly curtains with some blinds would help a lot. My bathroom was entertaining and clearly antique - bright green suite and black tiles and very clean, but the radiator didn't work well. Lucky for me it was a mild night! Breakfast next morning in the comfortable restaurant however was the best I've had in a very long time. Service and choice were second to none (I had porridge followed by smoked haddock with a poached egg) and it was cooked to perfection. I'd stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Lovely old building with some nice original features. My room was an odd shape but still plenty of room. Bathroom needs a bit of work as there was a fair bit of black grout. Due to it being an old building there was a lot of creaking from the room above which meant I had a disturbed night sleep. Price of bar meals were reasonable but the price of the overall stay was a bit high for what you got, over £100 for one night for one person.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Very helpful staff.
The decor is a good mixture of original features and modern style.
Comfortable room with a great bathroom, loved the wall lights.
Well situated, I was able to walk into town & to the University.
Pleasant restaurant, good breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Bellacat2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback, the team and I really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

My partner paid over £100 for a 1 night stay and it was not what you would expect for that price at all. We had a tiny room just big enough for the bed and wardrobe,although I must admit it was very clean. We went out that night and came back around 2 am and my partner wanted to have a shower,we both spent 25 mins trying to get the shower to work but nothing happened so in the morning i ran the bath and was discussed to find the water a vile dirty brown colour even after running it for 5 mins! so we got our stuff and went to check out.when we complained the attitude was basically tough luck you should have told us at 2am! I've stayed in posher BnB's in Blackpool for half the price. I'm only giving a 1 star because I have to give a rating.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donadon81
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I'm very sorry about the incident with the water, we have recently suffered a boiler failure, and an emergency plumbing team were called in to replace the unit, whilst this was taking place they had to drain our water tanks down and this caused water discolouration. My maintenance team have tried to drain off as much as possible but it looks like they didn't manage to get all of it. I'm very sorry about the response from my team though, this is certainly not how I would expect you be treated, and I am trying to contact you direct (via tripadvisor) to discuss this further. My apologies that your stay was not as it should have been.
James Bowie
Operations Manager

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed with 3 young children. From start to finish(even the booking process) the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, and nothing was too much trouble: especially breakfast staff this morning and bar staff last night. The room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable, with plenty of room for our family. The service overall was exemplary. I certainly won't be staying anywhere else on my trips to Leicester.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I paId for a one night stay a few weeks in advance. However, a week or so before my stay I was obliged to change my booking, moving it forward a night. They were happy to do this. However, when I came to check in on the revised date there was no record of my having changed my booking and, despite having paid for a room, nothing was reserved. I waited for five minutes or so while the receptionist searched silently on her computer for a room. She eventually informed me that me that I was 'lucky' as they were not fully booked and had several rooms free. The tone was reproachful and there was no apology for the mix-up. I was then asked to pay for the room I had already paid for. More searching on the computer ensued and several more minutes passed before she was able to confirm I had paid. Again, there was no apology or acknowledgement of error. I was eventually given a room. The room was small, old, tired, and without a proper shower, and generaly rather gloomy and depressing. I felt I had been given an inferior room as retribution for the trouble I had caused the receptionist (though perhaps all the room in this hotel are in this state). It was disappointing, to say the least. On checking out the next morning I was again asked to pay for a room I had paid for in full several weeks before. On the plus side the hotel is within walking distance of the train station.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

As mentioned in my email to you I am very dissapointed that the service you experienced was not as it should be, and that because we were busy we only had older style rooms available. I am working with my reception team to improve service, and with the MD to plan for more refurbishment in the first quarter of 2014.