“Not as good as expected”
Review of The Belmont Hotel

The Belmont Hotel
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My company gave me a choice of several hotels for a recent conference involving a one night stay in Leicester. After checking The Belmont Hotel out on their website I chose this. It looked interesting and a change from the usual bland (although half the price!) offering at other hotels. Room 216 was very small, mainly clean and a bit 'dated' in décor. The problem was the breakfast. I ordered 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon and a tomato. Eggs and tomato were okay, but the bacon was hard and had obviously been cooked some time before and kept warm. How can a reputable kitchen send food like this out to people? And charge £12.50 for it!! I complained on their feedback form. If I'm in Leicester again, will NOT be choosing this hotel. One of the cheaper 'chain' hotels, at half the price, will be my choice.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Jean
I'm very sorry about the issues with your breakfast. I have had some transition with the kitchen team recently and there have been a few issues with the quality of breakfast delivered. I am working closely with the head chef to ensure this is improving quickly. I'm glad you felt we were an interesting choice, but very sorry to have not delivered the experience you were looking for.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Only a short distance from the mainline station, but you will be surprised at the location which is not in a main road. But then this hotel is not like the usual chain hotels and has real character throughout. Firstly there is plenty of car parking - and it is free. There is a popular restaurant and bar with comfortable seating and plenty of small private spaces. There is a genuine welcome at the reception and helpful local information if you need it.
My room had all the character you expect from an older hotel, but it was beautifully furnished, spotlessly clean, equipped with an ironing board and iron and had a refreshment tray with an invitation to request fresh milk!
Breakfast was excellent, with a good variety on offer and hot items were cooked to order.
I have no criticisms to make and this is not surprising because there was a card in my bedroom encouraging me to record my stay on Tripadvisor!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank boss1951

Dear Boss
Thank you so much for your review, my team are chuffed to bits with your comments, we all look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have previously stayed here and always had great experiences, unfortunately On my last visit we were allocated a non refurbished very dated, chintzy room (219) and it has to be said it was quite depressing, that said it was a great size and could be easily transformed. The bed was far too soft, the housekeeping could also be improved, dusty ledges and dirty bathroom tiles under the vanity mirror.
Shower was hot with great pressure in the evening but the following morning bearly luke warm.
The dated corridors had a very unpleasant musty smell of cannabis, which wasnt very nice.
Reception and Bar team, very friendly and efficient, although the bar and lounge area is also looking a little tired and warn with mis matched furniture, all in all not as pleasant as previous stays but this would not deter me from returning in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished Room with black out curtains
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Neill2109

Dear Neill
Sorry to have disappointed on this visit, although I'm really pleased your previous experiences mean you will give us another chance. The MD is currently planning the next phase of refurbishment which we are excited about as this will include a re-fresh in the lounge bar including furniture. I will take your comments about cleanliness to the housekeeper, as normally her standards are high and ask her for feedback about whether you room was serviced by a less experienced member of the team. Thanks for taking the time to share your comments, positive or negative it gives us the chance to respond and to react, as a family business looking after our guests is very importanat to us.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed here for two night on business and have real mixed feelings. The hotel is a classic and characterful place, but the corridors are too noisy as the floor board creek badly, the room smells musty and the smell doesn't go away, whilst the double bed is really two twins. I really didn't like the soft beds and woke up with a backache. The bathroom is the exact opposite and has a great the shower, in fact one of the best I have ever had. I am 6'2" and could raise the shower head well above my head. The power shower has yet another power boost button (!) and is a real morning treat. Breakfast was good, but mist the wow factor seen at some more basic hotels and had some basic pitfalls; regular juice, cheap bread for toast and hard butter on the table. The staff are friendly and attentive throughout the hotel and there is ample parking. On balance I would choose a Premier Inn over the Belmont, despite all its charm.

Room Tip: try to avoid room 217
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Danny
Thank you for the 4* rating for value, location, rooms and cleanliness and in particular the 5* review for service which the team were pleased about. The beds are a difficlut one for us as it's such a personal choice- believe it or not we get quite a lot of guests asking us where we get them as they want to get them for their homes! Really glad you enjoyed the bathroom and I will take your feedback about breakfast to my head chef and F&B manager. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We always enjoy staying at the Belmont, lovely hotel, central location yet peaceful, comfortable rooms and delicious breakfast.
There was a problem with our room allocation, it wasn't the family room I had requested and had confirmed. However, the staff on duty were fantastic. We were provided with an alternative room that was more suited to our needs, with space for us, the children and it was overlooking New Walk. I was really impressed with how we were looked after and how the problem was immediately addressed. Thank you to the two members of staff that were on duty on the evening of 21st February - you are a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Dorsetfive
Thanks so much for your five star review, the team are really pleased they were able to react appropriately to make up for our error with the room allocation, and that you got the room you needed to enjoy your stay. Thanks for your comments alos on the other aspects of your stay we look forward to welcoming you back to the Belmont.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel as we were attending the De-montfort Hall for a show ....
We decided to upgrade our room for a small fee.....The room we had was Brilliant , Very large , the most comfortable bed...The bathroom was very contempory, very clean, Nothing was too much trouble for the Staff ...
Breakfast was very enjoyable with fresh fruit, and a excellent choice of foods ....
Seeing some of the feedbacks worried us slightly but our fears were unfounded ....
If we return to Leicester this would be the hotel for us , So thank you for a wonderful stay .......

Room Tip: Upgrade your room...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Hazpar
The team are chuffed to bits by your comments and we're very pleased your fears weren't realised! Thanks so much for all your feedback about your stay

Reviewed 19 February 2014

The Belmont Hotel worked with me to plan a surprise party and birthday meal for my husband. The day was perfect and the food, excellent. We used The May Room as our venue and many of us stayed overnight, taking breakfast in the morning. All staff were polite, cheerful and helpful in every way. The rooms were spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The buffet breakfast was superb and we couldn't have been more delighted with the whole experience - thank you to all staff.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Mary
The team and I are really pleased we managed to do justice to your special celebration, it's a great privalige for us to look after family occasions, so to know how happy you are with the results is very pleasing. Thank you for the opportunity to look after you and your family