“Fabulous hotel!”

Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hotel!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Great room, great location, great breakfast and friendly staff!
Value was excellent for the superior twin, £55 for two (without breakfast)! Stayed here for Graduation so it was a hot week and the room was boiling hot even with a fan! Would be very cosy in the Winter as we had thick luscious duvets. Pink theme of the room and big television was gorgeous!
The bathroom was amazing, best shower ever! Recommended 100%!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel will be quieter, front of hotel is on New Walk (with windows open - l...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Hannah,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We’re all really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us during graduation in Leicester. We look forward to seeing you back at the Belmont in the future.
Yours Sincerely,
Tom Bennett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Attended a wedding here in July and I suppose I had high expectations due to the venue, how disappointed I was. When we were seated at our table there was dirty cutlery, which was not a great first impression. The service was very poor no one seemed to have a clue what they were supposed to be doing. The waiter served two members of our table and left the rest (6 people ) and moved on to another table!!! I had to ask more than once about my sons meal and dessert as he was left with no food twice !!! We had half eaten our dessert before my son got his, to be honest the food was very poor seemed more like a two for ten pound pub meal, as majority of the food seemed like it was either frozen and reheated or bought in. I addressed the manager about this and all I was offered was an apology !!!!!

Stayed July 2014
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
We are very disappointed to learn of your poor experience during your recent stay with us. We take great pride in delivering good and dependable service for all our guests, however, it would seem on this occasion we fell short of our normal high standards. We have reviewed your comments and taken action to improve our service standards and hope that this does not deter you from visiting us in the future.

Yours Sincerely
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel.
My 4 th stay and always a pleasure.
Lovely receptionist ( remembered me), fast efficient check in.
Our bedroom was huge. So comfortable , clean, bright and welcoming.
Very enjoyable stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mrs Sugden,

Thank you for your great comments; we strive to continually offer exceptional service to all of our guests at the Belmont & I’m particularly happy that you feel that this is the case. We look forward to welcoming you back for your 5th stay.

Yours sincerely,

England
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed in an 'executive' room for one night.

Location: sited next to the New Walk, a 5 minute stroll from the railway station, and 10 minutes to the centre. There are a number of bars and restaurants in the area.

Check in: was swift and efficient, as was checkout the next morning.

Room: the room was spacious and contained: a large and comfortable double be, 2 seater settee, a desk and chair and a further table and chair. Wall mounted flat screen TV, ample storage, coffee/tea making facilities, fridge, and safe. bathrobes and slippers were also provided. The bathroom too was spacious, clean and well stocked with towels and toiletries.

Staff: all the staff that we came in contact with were helpful and pleasant.

Breakfast: breakfast was served in the restaurant and featured the usual hot and cold options. Tea/coffee was delivered to the table by cheerful and efficient staff.

Dinner: we had also booked a table in the restaurant for dinner, and this is where we were sadly disappointed. The menu itself was a disappointment in that it bore little resemblance to the menu which features on the website, and the Mains did not really appeal to us, however the menu did suggest that a starters could be ordered in the form of tapas, and we were happy to do that. We ordered bread and olives as a stater to share, and then 6 dishes to have as tapas. Curiously the bread and olives took nearly 45 minutes to appear even though the restaurant was not particularly busy at the time. The real disappointment, though, was when the tapas arrived - of the 6 dishes ordered 1 was very good, 1 was acceptable, the other 4 were not. They looked and tasted as though they had been over-microwaved, although they were almost cold when they arrived. When we pointed out to the waiter that we were unhappy with the meal (2 dishes eaten, 2 tasted, 2 ignored) he did apologise and only billed us for the dishes eaten, and the wine. Nevertheless a promising evening spoilt.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your room, breakfast and the hotels location. We take real pride in offering great service and I know the team are grateful of your positive feedback.
I would however like to extend my apologies to you regarding your experience in our restaurant. We accept that on this occasion our normal high standards were not met, and as a result we have actioned some changes to the menu in our Windows on New Walk restaurant and will ensure this is updated on our website.
I do hope that this does not deter you from returning to the Belmont in the future
Regards,

Bury St Edmunds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have previously reviewed this hotel and have now stayed here twice more. I must say my most recent experiences have been much better, as I have had better (and quitter) rooms. Avoid the noisy rooms on the main corridor and the charm of this older and characterful hotel overcome the inconveniences of an older building. Events can make it extra noisy as banging doors on the ground floor resonate through the building. Breakfast can be a little slow, but is varied, delicious and cooked with care. There are some Wi-Fi black spots which is an inconvenience, but the public areas are all well connected. Most recently I stayed in one of the more luxurious rooms, with ample space, a sofa, fridge, iron and a lovely comfortable bed and a bathroom with a super shower. But I wont tell you which room, because I don't want it to be booked out when I stay here again (ok it's room 119). The bar is cosy with comfortable seats and the hotel is located near the station and superb restaurants. On my last stay I discovered a great running circuit in the nearby Victoria Park (200 mtr away) with an outdoor gym. I love that sort of thing and hope to be back in the Belmont Hotel soon again. Oh and on one of the nights my wife joined me and she adores the place for all the above reasons and I would be surprise if she would spontaneously join me one day. (I would have scored 5 stars if it wasn't noisy at times)

Room Tip: Any not on the main corridor - just ask the staff and they will do anything to make your stay great
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Danny,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I’m really pleased you enjoyed the room you were allocated, I would advise contacting the team directly prior to your next stay so we can ensure you get the best room suited to you. As you have mentioned, the bedrooms in the hotel do differ in shape and size due to the nature of the building, which dates back to 1861. We look forward to welcoming you, and potentially your wife, back to the Belmont.

Yours sincerely,
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Third time staying here and having had a different room each time it's given a good cross section on the hotel. It seems to be made up of a number of old terraced houses along the New Walk knocked together to a fairly impressive hotel complete with conference rooms, 2 bars and decent restaurant. The welcome is always perfect. Rooms are all different; some much bigger than others but all well kept and we'll furnished. There's a tiny "gym" with a water rower and recumbent bike if you a fell the need to burn some calories. The bar is often busy with large groups but handled well by the staff, never a long wait to get served with fairly standard bar food. The "Windows on the New Walk" restaurant serves much higher quality meals as you would expect from a dedicated restaurant. It also serves as the breakfast room... And the breakfasts are among the best I have had in any hotel. The only complaints I could make are... Because it's an old building it's creaky and the floors are slopey; there is no air conditioning but fans are available, and if you have a room overlooking the New Walk it can be loud at night when the locals kick out of the bars; however those are minor points compared to the overall quality of the stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ed w
Dear Ed,

Thank you for your positive feedback which has been shared with the team. We’re all glad you’ve enjoyed each of your 3 stays, and love to see our guests return. Our breakfast team were particularly happy with your comments. Our mini gym is perfect if you fancy a mini work out after dinner, alternatively we do also have a partnership with the local University Leisure Centre, where day passes are available for £5.95 for full use of their facilities.
You are quite right, the Belmont originates from a row of terraced houses, built in 1861 & we’ve come a long way from the 12 bedroomed hotel that opened back in 1934!
We hope to welcome you back to the Belmont shortly.

Kind regards,

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

With the abundance of rooms, and very attractive decor this was the ideal place for us to hold our events. Very helpful staff and decent equipment- though could do with getting a clicker.

Personally I didn't stay at the hotel, but I know a lot of my delegates did, and from the feedback we are intending to book the venue again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback. All of us at the Belmont will be happy to welcome your group back. Please do not hesitate to contact the team directly so we can ensure your next event exceeds your last.

Regards,