“Excellant hotel”

Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Excellant hotel”
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I liked this hotel. Comfortable bed, nicely decorated room, excellant food in the restaurant, friendly staff, clean, quiet area on New Walk & within walking distance of Leicester city centre. I'd certainly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2010
Dear guest, many thanks indeed for taking the time to share your feedback of the hotel, the team are very pleased by your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
leicester
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I only live about 5mins from this hotel but my friend was having her wedding here, and since it was going to be all day my boyfriend and I decided we'd stay at the hotel. We booked an executive room with breakfast for £109. After reading some of the reviews on here i was apprehensive about staying. Although there was no need to be!

We got a nice welcome and swift check in, we were allocated room 135 and it was absolutely beautiful! It was completely spotless with views over New Walk. Although this hotel is located in the city centre, you wouldn't think it. Yes the floor boards in the corridor squeaked but that did not bother us at all. The wedding party also stayed there and thought their rooms were also nice. The breakfast was nice with a huge variety.

The wedding was amazing, although the air con in the Rose Room where the ceremony was held kept going off but there was a member of staff on hand to sort this so it wasn't really a problem. The sit down meal and evening reception was also held in this room and it was dressed beautifully.

One thing i would mention is that there probably could have been more staff at the sit down meal as there were a lot of guests and it took a while for the starters to come round to all the tables, they missed out my boyfriends starter and started on all the other tables. They could do with a drinks trolley because when someone requested rose wine they had to go into the kitchen to get it and went back in to get the white and red and the bottles would run out half way around a table so they'd have to go back for a new one so it took a while for the drinks.

Jamie's bar is lovely and the drinks are of average price. It was also nice to sit outside and enjoy a drink too as it was a hot summers day.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend, we loved it that much we are going again in 4weeks!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Hi Stacey

Many thanks for your review of the hotel, the team and I are really pleased you loved your stay. I will certainly talk through your service comments with my food and beverage team, and I'm glad you enjoyed our mini suite!
We look forward to welcoming you back to the belmont.
London, UK
Reviewed 12 June 2010

The Belmont is in a good location close to the station an next to the leafy New Walk which is a pleasant route into town.

The first impression is of a well maintained group of townhouses with modern signage, however that impression is not sustained inside. It appears that there has been an attempt to make this a boutique hotel with modern furniture and contemporary pictures on the wall. This is juxtaposed with cheap 1970's furniture and fake flowers and it simply doesn't work - it just looks terrible.

I was in an executive double room though what made it "executive" eluded me - the view of the carl park? The hideous chintz? The shabby sofa? The dripping taps in the bathroom? A small badly positioned flat screen TV does not make for an executive room or retrieve it from the air of b&b that pervades.

Breakfast is served in a dining room which continues th unfortunate decor. Now, when there is waiter service and cooked breakfast is ordered from a menu I rather expect it to be prepared when I order. A "full English" arriving within two minutes of ordering tells me it is all out of warming trays, an not very warm ones at that - really unpleasant and cheap ingredients badly cooked.

One has to remember this is a three star hotel and if you go in with that expectation and ignore the hotels website and it's protestations of modernity, this place is tolerable.

• Stayed July 2010
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2010
Dear Dickie
Many thanks for your review of the hotel, which once again highlights the juxtapostion of the hotel. We are a family run independant business and over the last three years have worked our way through an extensive program of refurbishment (Which is why our website looks so nice) although as your review highlights we have rooms still to do before the our room stock is completely consistent. Tough trading has limited the speed of our progress in recent months although we are focused and committed to moving forward asap. This however is no comfort to you who was looking forward to a big TV, more modern style accomodation and free Wifi (2 hours free at the Belmont). I apologise in particular that you think we sold you something you didn't get, and hope you can appreciate how difficult it is to do so much in a short time, other members of Tripadvisor have recognised the effort as our rating has steadily improved by more than 20 places during the time we have been investing and improving customer service at the hotel.
I will certainly pass your comments regarding breakfast to my chef, and would like to assure you are food is sourced locally where possible and cooked fresh. Thank you again for your feedback and for highlighting the fact that we are an AA rated 3* property and don't pretend to be anything else (In fact our Rating sign is right by the car park entrance, next to our smiley EHO rating)
CHESTERFIELD
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I have recently stayed at the Belmont with Business and I was very impressed. The hotel is 5 minutes from the Train station down a quiet side street. Upon arrival I was met with professional reception staff and a smooth and easy check in followed. The room I opted for an executive (Room 209) which was spacious, very clean with modern decoration a pink and chocolate theme which was very fresh. The room had excellent facilities nice sized desk, large flat screen TV and a very comfy King Size bed.

The Hotels location is good too just 10 minute walk into the town centre however if you like Indian there is a great Indian just at the end of De Montfort Street called Shimla Pinks.

All in all had a excellent visit to the Belmont and will be back when in Leicester on Business or Pleasure again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2010
Dear guest, many thanks for taking the time to share your comments about the hotel, the team and I are really pleased you enjoyed your stay, and your room. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Belmont.
UK
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I can't recommend this hotel enough. It was a joy to stay in. The hotel goes out of its way to get things right and all the staff I met were helpful, polite and good at their jobs.

I stayed in one of the newly redecorated rooms and it had a bath and shower to die for. The room had everything you need for business travel but also I imagine works really well for those on non business trips. The bed and linens and colour co-ordination were refreshing and extremely comfortable. There were many touches in the hotel room, and the general facilities, that showed the hotel are really thinking about what their customers need.

Totally top notch and I look forward to returnng.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2010
Thank you so much for your review of the hotel. It's really good to hear that you feel we are doing things right, we really work hard to look after our guests and to make good service a priority. The team are very pleased with your "Excellent" review, and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 31 May 2010

My family and I stayed at this family-run hotel for only one night but would have stayed longer if our plans would have allowed. We were treated to a warm welcome and greetings by the staff throughout out stay. The staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. The hotel is located on a quiet street adjacent to the tree lined path they call "The Walk". Hotel parking was easily accessible. The breakfast was excellent with great variety. We booked two rooms. One room was recently renovated while the other was probably due for renovation. Regardless, the rooms were comfortable and clean. This hotel is unique, not the typical hotel. This hotel if full of character and I mean character in a good way. The hotel was nicely decorated with wide spiral wooden staircases, the upper floors had uneven, carpeted, creaking floors which added to its charm. If we were to return to Leicester, we wouldn't look to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review of the hotel, the team and I are really pleased you enjoyed your stay, we are always grateful for feedback especially when it's so nice!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2010

A friendly welcome and good check in by the bar manager and who was looking after reception, easy proceedure and I was asked to sign a clause which highlighted the non-smoking policy with a fine if contravined. Excellant parking for a city centre hotel. The room was a good size with excellant bathroom with good amenity packs; comfortable beds with good lighting and ample work space; flat screen TV and good tea/coffee making facility. Breakfast was a joy although service was sloppy and slight disorganised.Check out was done well and the front desk always seems to be manned with friendly staff even when they were filling in; I reserved direct at 2200hrs the prevous night and found this qyuite painless which is not always the case. I also requested a refurbished room and this was what I received.

Now for the could do better. The fire alarm sounded at 0615hrs and the hotel was cleared and when it was established that the was no fire we were still held in the car park because no one could turn off the alarm - also no fire appliances attended so presumably Leicester Fire fighters were busy watching the election results and the hotel could just burn! I wonder if the guest who was smoking in the room was fined.......??? The staff in the restaurant really did need some training as my table was not properly serviced and whilst friendly could have shewn a little more panache. The sign euphomisticly guides to the mini gym - oh Belmont get rid of this tacky outdated and rubbish equipment it is not worthy let alone usable. I know you have an arrangement with a gym locally so what is the point of keeping it however it would have been nice to have had a couple of machines to save going out. After the debacle od the non-fire there was not apology or explanation of the reason let alone an offer of a small discount for the upheaval.

I like the hotel and its ethos but please smooth the edges as its a good product.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2010
Dear Guest
Firstly, many thanks indeed for taking the time to give a comprehensive review of the hotel and for mentioning all the positives, friendly welcome, parking, good room and breakfast. Secondly I am also grateful for the opportunity to give you feedback regarding your experience with the fire alarm. The fire system is newly installed, all the team have had training and I do have a sheet signed by the night porter that he was happy he understood the system. Sadly in the heat of the moment the training went out of his head, and he even forgot there was a printed sheet behind the reception desk with instructions on how to silence it in the event of a false alarm. We have taken him through the training again and also have regular update training. The fire system is linked directly to the fire station although a fault on the line meant they were not called. This was remedied on the day of discovery, and we test the alarm system weekly to ensure guest safety. I'm very sorry that no apology was offered to you at the time, and I would like to apologise to you and any other guests affected by this. Typically the breakfast service may have been a bit frenetic as all the hotel guests arrived for breakfast at the same time having been woken prematurely, although I will talk through your service comments with the restaurant staff at their next team meeting.
I am also looking into costs for 2 concept 2 rowing machines to replace the minigym equipment, which I agree is past it's best, although as you mentioned we have an affiliation with a fully equipped fitness centre should guests require a more comprehensive workout. I'm glad you like the hotel and hope my response illustrates that my team and I do care about customer service and are working to ensure a stay at the Belmont is all that you would expect it to be.