“Clean and contemporary but didn't stick to their side of the bargain”

Ramada Encore Leicester City Centre
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
“Clean and contemporary but didn't stick to their side of the bargain”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

This is a modern hotel with small but well appointed rooms. Contemporary in design and a kind of Scandinavian feel about the place. The big problem for me was we held our conference nearby and had arranged in writing with the hotel that the bar would be open late. The hotel agreed in writing that the bar would be open until we retired to our rooms. Unfortunately and despite having tis in writing on an e mail the hotel renaiged on our agreement which for me spoilt the experience.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank chrisburbridge
Henrik J, General Manager at Ramada Encore Leicester City Centre, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Dear Mr Burbridge

Thank you for your recent review on trip advisor.

I was pleased to see that you liked the look and feel of our Hotel.

I was dissapointed though that you felt we had not honoured an agreement to have the Bar open late and that as a result you scored us down so harshly. The Hotel had agreed a late bar with the organisors of the Conference and the bar closed at 3;30am having comunicated last orders to the small party remaining at 3:00am.

I would say that 3:30am is late enough.

I am sorry that the non availability of additional alcohol after 3:30am caused you so much dissapointment.

Sincerley

Henrik Jespersen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
gloucestershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

Leicester itself is a pain to get around as its all mostly one way but we found the hotel but realised it didnt have any onsite parking so i was told we needed to park in the close by NCP parking area, you are given a discounted rate on parking when staying in the hotel (£8)

All the staff were friendly and polite. The main reception area, bar and cafe area were all clean, fresh with a modern feel, the bar and cafe areas had a good amount of people in it eating and drinking.

Our room was on the 4th floor and was last in the corridor away from the other rooms which we thought would mean it would be quiet!

The actual room was clean, fresh, simply decorated with all good basic facilites that all worked, good range of tea/coffee and buscuits, clean towels and bed linen. The guest info was also very good.

Our room over looked the street but during the day time we didnt give it a seconds thought, until we got back to our room about 23.30pm, once in bed all we could hear was the loud pumping of music from nearby clubs, people shouting, fighting and police sirens. I managed to get to sleep and woke up at 330am and all was quiet, we were woken again at 6am by more shouting, glass breaking and obvious fighting. Again we did manage to get back to sleep.

The breakfast was excellent, with a great choice and a help yourself service, also Sunday papers were available. Check out was easy.

Again this is nothing to do with the hotel but as we came out of the hotel the surrounding area was covered in borken glass and several cars had had their windows smashed in.

The hotel itself was great, excellent value for money but for us the surrounding area wasnt so great, we didnt hang around in the morning. The noise cant be helped especailly on a Saturday night. So if noise effects you maybe ask for a room not looking onto the main street.

Room Tip: Our room was looking on to the main street and it was very noisy
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for you recent review on Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to read that you liked our Hotel, staff and the facilities we have to offer. I was however sorry to learn that your stay was disrupted by the noise of fighting outside.

The Hotel is in the Heart of the City and therefore we cannot avoid an ellement of city noise however the incidents outside the hotel that you have descibed are certainly not the norm and we have rarly expereinced any trouble at all. I do hope that you will not be detered from staying with us again as a result.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Stayed at Ramada Encore for a birthday treat with my partner, location is perfect with everything on the doorstep. Clean comfortable rooms and helpful reception staff who recommended some great places to eat and drink to suit our needs. Will defiantly be staying again in the summer.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Emma J

Thank you very much for your recent review of our Hotel.

I was very pleased to learn that you liked our Hotel and that we looked after you so well. I look forward to you retuning in the summer.

Hinckley,Leicestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife 26th and 27th of April. Travelled there by car, and parked in Halford Street NCP car park. This is usually a £17 for 24 hrs, but is discounted by the Ramada to £8.00 ... a good discount. Car was safe and secure.

Check in was fast and friendly. We were allocated to room 108, which was lovely, with a walk in shower and overlooked a pedestrian area. Really clean, modern and fresh.

My wife requested an ironing board and iron, and 2 mins later it was at the door ... excellent.

Beds were very good, and we both slept fine each night. Breakfast on the first morning was a let down as 90 percent of the hot food was unavailable. We gave up waiting after 15 mins. I did complain, and was immediately offered a £20 refund, so we ate out that morning. It takes a very good hotel to admit the occasional failure, as these thing do happen, and it certainly would not put us off staying again. Although busy, breakfast the next morning was nice. We ate out both days as hotel is located in an ideal position for dining and shopping. Thanks again Ramada for a pleasant stay.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you very much indeed for your recent review of our Hotel on Trip Advisor.

I was very happy to see that you enjoyed your weekend and that you would return to our hotel. I would ask however that you accept my apologies for the fact that we ran out of some cooked items at breakfast. This was quickly rectified but I appreciate the dissapointment this must have caused.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Room was clean and quiet. Bed was firm and comfortable. Bathroom, with shower, was fine. So quite good value.

The hospitality tray contained cheap-looking teas and coffees and very boring biscuits which I couldn't be bothered to open or even put in my bag for later on.

The coffee from the machine at breakfast time had an appalling aroma. I couldn't even sip it to try. So got myself a Nescafe sachet to make an instant coffee to have with my croissant. The croissant looked good and had the right balance of structure and flakiness. Sadly, it was tasteless. Luckily, I wasn't relying on coffee and croissants. I had toast with bacon and fried eggs - just about OK (but hotel buffet breakfasts rarely are significantly better than passable) - and made tea with one of my own bags from home when I got back up to my room.

But would stay there again. The main thing is that I got a good shower and a good night's sleep in a clean, non-pokey hotel room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of the Hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to see that you liked our facilities and have noted your comments with regard to our breakfast coffee and croissants. Whilst we usually receive a great deal of praise for our breakfast sellection and quality, we will review the areas you have highlighted.

I sincerely hope that we will be able to offer you our hospitality again in the near future.

Northampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel the other weekend.

From walking down the street to check in The Ramada Encore looked Very Modern And Stylish From The Outside With The Whole Glass Windows And The Nice Seating Area outside. Upon Walking Into The Hotel I was Blown Away With How Modern And Open Planned It Looked Was Fantastic. I got Greeted By Friendly Staff At The Reception Desk And Check In Was Nice And Quick And Easy. After Check In i went to my room and i have to say they kept the rooms as modern as the reception area. The Floors were laminated and the rooms was nicely set out with the desk in the corner of the room with a nice Flat screen. The bedroom was very clean and tidy. The bathroom was very nice as well with a nice power shower and plenty of towels.
After unpacking i headed back down to the reception area to get something to eat. The dining area was busy at the time with a big group but i was still able to get a table very quickly. The menu u they had was a good menu everything you could think of from steaks to just small bites that was good.
After eating went to sit in the seating area after a quick stop at the bar they have plenty of draft beers and cider and plenty of top spirits to choose from.
Heading out of the hotel for a night out the hotel is not far away from main pubs and clubs so that is always a win because it means you dont have far to stumble back lol.
Next day after woken up headed down to breakfast the breakfast is a ok price but i do have to admit it does help when its all you can eat buffet.
Check out was as quick as check in All in all this is a fantastic hotel and would return

Room Tip: 6th Floor is a nice floor 610 is away from loads of rooms so its nice and quiet
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you very much indeed for your recent review on Trip advisor following your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

Was staying in Leicester for a week. Checked in at night, first thing we were met with was bad customer service. The lady at the counter didn't even acknowledge our presence (yes she was on the phone with someone, however she could have made a gesture or ushered one of the several workers just standing around to attend to us).
After we got our room cards, we went to take our bags to our rooms. Absolutely no help was offered. The lifts were the size of toilet cubicles (actually london heathrow toilets were bigger than the lifts at Ramada Leicester). The rooms were quite small for a 'four/five' star hotel that we were told Ramada was. The beds oh my were horrible. You could see the imprints on the mattress without even sitting on it. Horrible spring mattresses. Our bathroom had no exhaust fan.
Small rooms, bathrooms that will end up smelling, bad beds and the only positive thing was the free wifi. We checked out the very first thing in the morning. And will never go back to it. I will give it a 2/3 star at most.

• Stayed April 2013
Henrik J, General Manager at Ramada Encore Leicester City Centre, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your recent review or our Hotel on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to read that you did not feel the Hotel was a at a 4 / 5 star standard although I am somewhat confused as to why that was what you had expected. We are not a 4 or 5 Star Hotel. Ramada Encore is a Mid Market brand hotel.

As such our product and services are akin to a Mid Market Hotel as are our prices.

I would however apologise for the fact that our receptionist was busy on a reservation call when you checked in and agree that you should have been aknowledged. Unfortunately we do not have luggage porters although there is a large luggage trolley provided for any guests who may require it.

Our lifts are standard 630kg lifts and are suitable for 8 people. We have 3 of these lifts in all.

I am very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations but do hope that you now appreciate the style of Hotel that we are and where we sit in the market place.

Henrik Jespersen

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels