“Nice meeting place”

The Corn Exchange
Ranked #557 of 1,201 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Description: Leicester's Corn Exchange in the City centre of Leicester, England. The exchange is sited at the centre of Leicester Market.There have been buildings on the site since the 16th century, the present building was built in the 1850s by William Flint. In 1856 an upper floor and the external stone staircase was added by F.W. Ordish.A corn exchange was a building where farmers and merchants traded cereal grains, common up until the 19th century in towns and cities of Great Britain and Ireland.The exchange currently operates as a Lloyds No. 1 bar under the JD Wetherspoon housing
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Nice drinking place good meeting place. Prices good too. Nice central bar are staff very good too. The location near the market is smashing loads of market stalls worth a visit greay

Reviewed 2 April 2013

It’s a fine old building, which has probably been saved from the wrecking ball by making it a pub, so full marks to Mr Wetherspoon for that. Although on my first visit the dark purple interior left a bit to be desired.
The first time I visited was on a Sunday lunchtime and the Beer and food was decent enough and reasonably priced. Four Sunday roast and beer deals for £22.00, served promptly and efficiently, and you can’t say fairer than that.
The downside was as usual the cheap beer and spirit prices attract those that would be better off attending The Priory, even at 1.30PM on a Sunday Lunchtime.
Was back in for a second visit last week for a pre crawl-of-Leicester pint and primarily for the low cost breakfast which can be made even lower cost with a CAMRA card as this gives 20% off food as well as 20p off a pint in this particular 'Spoons.
The good news is that the overpowering purple interior I experienced last time has been replaced with a toned down pastel colour that is much more pleasant.
The bad news is that the local 'personalities' who stalk the bar area of the Corn Exchange have not been replaced and were out in force at 11.00AM on a Friday morning. How you can get that loopy so early in the day is a mystery to me.
I still like this outlet of the Wetherspoons empire, but if they could loose the local nutters I could review it higher than average.

Gavin H, Manager at The Corn Exchange, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Hi Steve,

Thank you for you comments. We had a refurbishment back in March 2012 and were just as glad as you were to see a change to the interior decor of the place, being a Grade II Listed building with a purple and pink interior wasn't as fitting as the new look and feel is we think.

We're striving to offer the best value we can all the times in the retail of both food and drink. Granted sometimes people will take advantage of some pricing structures, but we also believe that a lot of people return to us because of the service we offer. Having the best trained and friendliest staff in the industry would be a bold claim to make, but we are constantly striving towards that goal and would much rather build a reputation on that over price alone.

Hope next time you're up from London you give us another visit.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

Big place and nice pub good meeting place and nice food and not very expensive, very close to market and shops.

Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

Had breakfast whilst away for a few days.

Good value and service. Nice food. Hand dryer in WC not.working.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

I am generally a huge fan of Wethersppons, but the Corn Exchange is tired, the staff appear demotivated and badly trained and the place needs a major shake up.
On a very quiet Sunday morning, the place was dirty, the wifi wasn't working and the bathrooms, at 11am, hadn't been inspected once, despite the place being open since 8am. Even worse, the breakfast was lukewarm, verging on cold.
The first little issue was that the girl served me an Americano with no milk. Surely, a staff training issue? Then, when I reported the wifi was not working, I was told 'The manager is busy'. What happened to initiative and positive responses? Staff training again.
At the bar, the floor was horribly sticky and my table had a feel of having been cursorily wiped, rather than properly cleaned. Rather the impression of the whole place, to be honest.
The breakfast looked great, but had clearly been kept under a not very good heater for ages and was lukewarm at best.
When I eventually caught up with the 'shift manager', Craig by name, I was told that the wifi hadn't been working properly for about four days. He did offer to refund my meal cost, but I didn't accept his offer. On the matter of the toilets not being inspected in three hours, the response was 'we don't open upstairs till noon'. Odd, because there were customers there before even I arrived.
Wetherspoons Corn Exchange needs a major injection of staff training, a decent clean and better management.