“A bit dull”
Review of Jewry Wall

Jewry Wall
Ranked #24 of 116 things to do in Leicester
More attraction details
Owner description: Please note Jewry Wall Museum is currently closed for refurbishment. The Roman Jewry Wall and archaelogical site is still available to view.
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We visited as part of a day visiting attractions in Leicester city centre.
The museum is devoted to the ancient history of the area including a large section about the Romans. The displays are rather dull and uninspiring, I've seen better museums explaining this part of our history.
Although our party were all adults, I would not recommend this museum to parents and grandparents looking to entertain the kids.

1  Thank 99ray
Jewry_Wall, Museum Assistant at Jewry Wall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Thank you for your review.

We are sorry that you feel this way. Jewry Wall Museum has undergone minor refurbishments since you visited and we can now offer a new gallery, ‘Archaeology and Endeavour’; a re-display of the prehistory section; an interactive kiosk entitled ‘Virtual Romans; and as always the archaeological excavation area and replica clothing to try on.

The Leicester Arts and Museums Learning Team also offer trails and backpacks to use for free, whilst on site.

Maybe there is a special event that you will find entertaining? We offer, for example, family-friendly events, with activities for children, illustrated talks and theatre productions. Please see the Leicester City Council website for further information.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"quick visit"
"interesting exhibits"

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I love history and I am an English Heritage member. I have visited many EH sites throughout England and I have to say this one needs a bit of a refurbishment. The interior exhibition appears to be stuck in the past as much of the story it attempted to tell about the history of Leicester, however all that said, it was very informative, I learnt a lot about the City and its history.
The exterior and excavations are the highlight, but again, it struggles to come alive unlike so many other EH sites I have visited.
It is free admission, taking that into account, it is worth the visit.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I was visiting a friend who lives in Leicester and we decided to spend the afternoon doing a walking tour. We found a guided map somewhere online and were following it when we stumbled upon this little gem. Fascinating ruins of Roman baths just sitting out there in the middle of the city beckoned to us to explore more closely, and by so doing we were led to this little museum. We just took a quick, cursory tour of the museum, but even so I learned a lot about the history of Leicester for free. I did contribute a small sum as I was impressed with the artifacts and the educational displays. For a free attraction it is well worth the time.

3  Thank Sharifred
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

This has changed very little over the years. But I like it . They have good events for kids . Very interesting and kids like to dress up

1  Thank Kathy M
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Not well signposted but a little gem hidden away. The Jewry Wall is impressive and the museum a little dated but none the less well laid out, interesting and informative -that's what museums are all about. Fortunate to arrive as a tour was taking place given by the Chair of the Friends. 30 minutes of friendly information and questions. This is well worth a visit and Visit Leicester need to spend time promoting the smaller venues as well as all the promotion for Richard III.

1  Thank Lincolnia