“great night out”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Solihull, United Kingdom
“great night out”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We went to The Gate recently with some friends and we were very impressed! In spite of the fact that it was a Saturday night and very busy the service was excellent. We had some lovely wine to drink first whilst we chose what to eat. I chose a sirlion steak which was beautifully tender and cooked just how I like it. Our friends had the pork belly and the cod loin both very good apparently. The atmosphere was good, we will be returning soon.

• Visited January 2013

Toronto, Canada
“First and last visit”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

My husband and I went to this restaurant late last year and we were very disappointed. All we wanted was some cheese, wine and steak but even with this simplistic order they managed to give us the worst cheese, the worst wine and tasteless steak. This was a complete waste of money as it was quite pricy too. Service was very poor as well.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank pegah55
Adam L, Owner at The Gate Bistro, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Firstly, I'd like to say I am sorry to hear you found your visit to us less than satisfactory. But I am quite surprised at the general comments made in your review, and the lack of specific remarks in regards to your meals makes it very difficult to respond. The only cheese dish we serve is 'cheese and biscuits' on the dessert menu, where you receive a decent portion of cheddar, brie and stilton of good quality. We also have a wide range of wine from relatively inexpensive house wine to high quality, pricier wines, the idea being there is something for everyone. As for our steaks, we actually pride ourselves on the quality of our steaks. We are supplied by an absolutely brilliant butcher that no one else uses in Leicester, who also supplies Marco Pierre White's restaurants for example, so it is extremely unlikely to receive a "tasteless" steak from our establishment. And again, without any specifics given on the "very poor service" you mentioned, I cannot hope to understand where we apparently went wrong in your case. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me and I hope we can resolve your issues.
Adam
Leicester, United Kingdom
“A great night.”
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Had my fiftieth birthday at The Gate with seventeen of my friends. We were very well looked after by the boss, Adam Lynch, and his staff. Everybody really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Nothing was too much trouble and I will certainly be returning for a meal with my family sooner, rather than later! Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Grub”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I've been to the Gate a fair few times and can say the food is hearty and good value.
As a student it's perfect wholesome food which you'd bring your parents/grandparents too.
The meat, veges, potatoes are all of good quality. Highly recommend it to my family/friends!
Go and find out for yourself!

Heart of England
“No 'wow' - factor”
Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

On arrival we were initially shown to a table so short on space we might as well have joined the diners either side of us. We were moved to an alternative table upon request, which was more suitable for a quiet dinner for two. Unfortunately, the staff, although pleasant, had little knowledge of the menu - no idea what the soup of the day was, and unsure what the Cumberland sauce on the starter menu was. Service was also a little on the slow side, despite the restaurant not being full. As for the food itself, it was pleasant enough, nothing was poorly cooked, but there was little to get really excited about. We left feeling mediocre was a suitable description. For £35 per head there are better dining options in Leicester and Leicestershire.