“Three star hotel with a four star rating”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Cheshire
“Three star hotel with a four star rating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed there a couple of nights ago with four colleagues. The rooms are small for a four star hotel although I had a Sky Studio which was a lot bigger but with a tiny bathroom - could just about squeese in! There was no mirror at the dressing table so no facilities for ladies to sit down and blow dry their hair - instead there was a shaving mirror on the wall outside the bathroom which you had to stand at to reach. The general feel of the hotel was that it was old and in need of refurbishment. The breakfast the next day was not to a four star standard - no fresh fruit juice left in the containers (it was 9am and it did close at 9:30 but I do not think that was an excuse). The selection was very poor for a continental and adequate for the English.
The location was good - walking distance from the station and it was good enough for our needs but definately not four star!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

All of our bedrooms are of different size and shape and most are large.

I note your headline not being four star, we achieved 4 star status over two years ago and where re-assessed by Visit Britain and again retained the 4 star status simply down to the great service we offer.

Glad to read you found our location to be good, only minutes walk from the train station.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Spent one night here, meeting friends in Leicester for supper. It is convenient, it has its own car park (which I had to pay for). Nothing about the hotel said 4 star... The carpets are shabby, the furniture looks tired, it needs an overhaul. The bedroom (twin beds) had the smallest single beds I had ever been in (turned over in the night and ended up on the floor). The bathroom is cramped (but the bedroom was huge? didnt make sense!!). The couple in the room next door were having the time of their lives (hopefully not both in the single bed!) - the paper thin walls ensured I was kept up to date with the entertainment (I turned the radio on at 2am!). A quarter of a roll of loo paper for a two day stay was also slightly optimistic! I wasn't made aware either (on booking) that I would have to pay separately for wifi in my room. Its the 21st century for the love of god!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

We achieved four star status over two years ago and it was mainly down to the 5 star service we offer as most of he previous tripadvisor comments would suggest.

We offer complimentary WiFi in our lounge and are hoping to introduce this to the entire hotel early next year.

In terms of your neighbours had you contacted the team at reception I am confident they would have gone to the room and told them to keep the noise down.

Once again thank you for your review and should you be in Leicester in the near future I do hope you will give us the opportunity to ensure you have a hassle free experience.
Union, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

My wife & I stayed at the Mercure Hotel in downtown Leicester, Leicestershire, UK for seven days while visiting newly found family. The room [called a "Sky Studio"] was very large for an English hotel in my limited experience. The late nineteenth century facade has been very well preserved and still is marked "Grand Hotel", a title which is still apropos. The hallmark of the hotel is its staff. From the front desk, thru the restaurant and bar staff to the room cleaning staff, we were treated as honored guests and granted every courtesy. We felt completely as ease and welcome at all times. We really enjoyed the food and wine at the hotel bar and restaurant. The quality was excellent and the service superb. Additionally the hotel is in the midst of the downtown shopping and tourism area. We walked everywhere we wanted to see and saw historical sites from the 1100s thru the twentieth century. Would we return to the Mercure/Grand Hotel in the future? Absolutely. It was one of the highlights of our stay in Leicester.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very postive review.

I was delighted you recognised the staff as being the hallmark of the hotel as they are a fantastic team.

I was also glad you enjoyed the food and wine at dinner each night.

Our location is great, being in the heart of the city and only minutes from everywhere that Leicester has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to the UK.
Harlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

We booked this hotel as we were in Leicester to watch rugby as the hotel is within walking distance of Welford Road, The location of it is great, right in the centre of Leicester and having a large car park is a real bonus. It costs £5 but I think that is reasonable compared with other city hotel carparks. The staff especially on the front desk were excellent and very welcoming. Our room was clean and a good size. Leicester is very lively on a Saturday night but the secondary glazing in the room was very effective. The hotel could do with a refurbishment and putting wifi in rooms would be top of my wish list and some new carpet on the stairs, but it didn't detract from our stay. Lunch was good and my salmon was cooked to perfection. We went out for dinner as there are lots of restaurants nearby. My only moan was the bed. I woke up with a back ache and it was one of the most uncomfortable beds I have slept in. I put this on the survey from Mercure and was impressed that the manager took the time to e-mail me and respond. We will stay again when we come up next season to see Saracens take revenge on leicester Tigers!

Room Tip: You may not want a room overlooking main street if you are a very light sleeper.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review.

Delighted by your comments regarding the team as the are excellent.

I take feedback very seriously and I was glad you where impressed by my personal response to your survey.

We are hoping to see some investment by the end of this year and this will include the replacement of corridor carpets.

Being a season ticket holder for the Tigers I was obviously happy Sari's lost and look forward to a win Saturday also against Quinns.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to welcoming you back next season.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on a number of occasions with my girlfriend. The location is right in the heart of leicester and close to good restuarants and shops.
The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to ensure that our stay was comfortable and relaxing. Make sure you get to the breakfast, its definately worth getting up for.
A great stay in a great hotel.

Room Tip: Book early.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a very positive review.

I was delighted to see you have stayed with us on numerous occasions and you have found the staff friendly and always go out of their way to make your stay more comfortable.

It was also pleasing to read that you never miss breakfast!

We look forward to welcoming you back where I am confident you will receive the same high level of service.
Lancashire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

I booked this hotel through Booking.com and paid just £45 through their 'flash' sale.. I had previously seen the same hotel advertised at £100 per night and thought I was getting the bargain of the century.. How wrong i was! If i had have parted with £100 for this hotel I would have demanded a refund and found somewhere else to stay!
The only positive thing that I can say about the hotel is that the staff are really friendly and helpful and the check-in/out was efficient and professional.
I believe that the hotel has recently been taken over by the Mercure group and that they are currently refurbing the hotel but I didn't get that impression.. I didn't see any work taking place and my overall impression is that they are charging Mercure rates in a sub-standard hotel!
My room was situated on the 3rd floor and although the room was spacious the overall feel of the room was very basic and in need of an up-date! Wires hanging out, dirty carpets, etc.
The view from my window was of a brick wall and I was kept awake at night by the constant dripping of water from drain pipes that were in rather a sorry state!
The bathroom was clean and very basic but the shower didn't drain properley and i ended up standing in 6 inches of dirty water whilst taking a shower as the water wasn't draining away..Gross!
The lifts, corridors, etc were very dated with the carpets patched up with black masking tape in places with doors and paint work really grubby and old.
I couldn't get on the internet in my room and had to use the lounge area to work in in the evening which wasn't ideal and the charges for drinks were 4 start prices in a hotel that in my view would struggle to get a 3* star rating! I was charged 0.80p for a splash of lime in a beer which took the price of a bottle of Budweiser to just short of £5! I ate in the bar and the food was very average .. They seemed to be really keen on their wine offering with detailed menus and after completing their survey after my stay the were very keen to promote.. However, fine wines didn't really fit with the rest of the hotel... I would liken it to being offered fine wine in a corner cafe.!
The saving grace with this hotel is tha I only paid £45 for the night and I would not pay or recommend you to pay any more than this to stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was glad to read you reserved a room on our fantastic offer for May.

I was disappointed to read your comments, as clearly they are not indicative of the previous comments on tripadvisor.

We have 104 bedrooms which are well appointed, clean, exceptionally well maintained and comfortable.

We are hoping to see some investment in the latter part of this year.

If you are in the Leicester please do not hesitate to contact myself direct so I can personally make the necessary arrangements to ensure a pleasant stay.

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels