Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Stayed at the Mercure with my boyfriend recently. It was fantastic! The hotel is very beautiful and extremely well placed for eating, drinking and shopping. The room was really big, clean and modern. Breakfast was delicious and the staff were very helpful. Plenty of on site car parking which was really useful being so central. Overall - I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very postive review.

I was especially pleased with the comments regarding the team and breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for the best part of two weeks, while on a training course. The staff were very friendly, breakfast was great! The room was comfortable and was adequate for my needs. The only grumble I would have is that the prices for food and drink were very expensive. Two beers for £4.90 across the road, but £3.90 for a beer in the hotel. Also, many of the pubs (Yates and Weatherspoons etc) were offering meals and a drink for £6.95, bit the cheapest meal on offer at the hotel (that I saw advertised) was £12. Still, I enjoyed my stay and got to sample the local pubs as well. Would recommend this hotel for short stays. Thanks everyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a postive review.

Delighted by your comments regarding the team and breakfast.

In terms of the price of food and drink we more than compare with our competiters. You will also see a slight change in our pricing going forward when we introduce our new menu today.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed there a couple of nights ago with four colleagues. The rooms are small for a four star hotel although I had a Sky Studio which was a lot bigger but with a tiny bathroom - could just about squeese in! There was no mirror at the dressing table so no facilities for ladies to sit down and blow dry their hair - instead there was a shaving mirror on the wall outside the bathroom which you had to stand at to reach. The general feel of the hotel was that it was old and in need of refurbishment. The breakfast the next day was not to a four star standard - no fresh fruit juice left in the containers (it was 9am and it did close at 9:30 but I do not think that was an excuse). The selection was very poor for a continental and adequate for the English.
The location was good - walking distance from the station and it was good enough for our needs but definately not four star!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

All of our bedrooms are of different size and shape and most are large.

I note your headline not being four star, we achieved 4 star status over two years ago and where re-assessed by Visit Britain and again retained the 4 star status simply down to the great service we offer.

Glad to read you found our location to be good, only minutes walk from the train station.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Reviewed 20 May 2012

Spent one night here, meeting friends in Leicester for supper. It is convenient, it has its own car park (which I had to pay for). Nothing about the hotel said 4 star... The carpets are shabby, the furniture looks tired, it needs an overhaul. The bedroom (twin beds) had the smallest single beds I had ever been in (turned over in the night and ended up on the floor). The bathroom is cramped (but the bedroom was huge? didnt make sense!!). The couple in the room next door were having the time of their lives (hopefully not both in the single bed!) - the paper thin walls ensured I was kept up to date with the entertainment (I turned the radio on at 2am!). A quarter of a roll of loo paper for a two day stay was also slightly optimistic! I wasn't made aware either (on booking) that I would have to pay separately for wifi in my room. Its the 21st century for the love of god!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

We achieved four star status over two years ago and it was mainly down to the 5 star service we offer as most of he previous tripadvisor comments would suggest.

We offer complimentary WiFi in our lounge and are hoping to introduce this to the entire hotel early next year.

In terms of your neighbours had you contacted the team at reception I am confident they would have gone to the room and told them to keep the noise down.

Once again thank you for your review and should you be in Leicester in the near future I do hope you will give us the opportunity to ensure you have a hassle free experience.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

My wife & I stayed at the Mercure Hotel in downtown Leicester, Leicestershire, UK for seven days while visiting newly found family. The room [called a "Sky Studio"] was very large for an English hotel in my limited experience. The late nineteenth century facade has been very well preserved and still is marked "Grand Hotel", a title which is still apropos. The hallmark of the hotel is its staff. From the front desk, thru the restaurant and bar staff to the room cleaning staff, we were treated as honored guests and granted every courtesy. We felt completely as ease and welcome at all times. We really enjoyed the food and wine at the hotel bar and restaurant. The quality was excellent and the service superb. Additionally the hotel is in the midst of the downtown shopping and tourism area. We walked everywhere we wanted to see and saw historical sites from the 1100s thru the twentieth century. Would we return to the Mercure/Grand Hotel in the future? Absolutely. It was one of the highlights of our stay in Leicester.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very postive review.

I was delighted you recognised the staff as being the hallmark of the hotel as they are a fantastic team.

I was also glad you enjoyed the food and wine at dinner each night.

Our location is great, being in the heart of the city and only minutes from everywhere that Leicester has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to the UK.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

We booked this hotel as we were in Leicester to watch rugby as the hotel is within walking distance of Welford Road, The location of it is great, right in the centre of Leicester and having a large car park is a real bonus. It costs £5 but I think that is reasonable compared with other city hotel carparks. The staff especially on the front desk were excellent and very welcoming. Our room was clean and a good size. Leicester is very lively on a Saturday night but the secondary glazing in the room was very effective. The hotel could do with a refurbishment and putting wifi in rooms would be top of my wish list and some new carpet on the stairs, but it didn't detract from our stay. Lunch was good and my salmon was cooked to perfection. We went out for dinner as there are lots of restaurants nearby. My only moan was the bed. I woke up with a back ache and it was one of the most uncomfortable beds I have slept in. I put this on the survey from Mercure and was impressed that the manager took the time to e-mail me and respond. We will stay again when we come up next season to see Saracens take revenge on leicester Tigers!

Room Tip: You may not want a room overlooking main street if you are a very light sleeper.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review.

Delighted by your comments regarding the team as the are excellent.

I take feedback very seriously and I was glad you where impressed by my personal response to your survey.

We are hoping to see some investment by the end of this year and this will include the replacement of corridor carpets.

Being a season ticket holder for the Tigers I was obviously happy Sari's lost and look forward to a win Saturday also against Quinns.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to welcoming you back next season.