“Marvellous”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #25 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Great central hotel (literally smack in the center of everything), and usually really competitive prices for what is a very good hotel (we searched and this was cheaper than Ibis/Premier Inn etc, which are all out of town). It is very grand, parking is a bargain £5 - never ate there so cant comment - would thoroughly recommend if in Leicester city centre.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Glad you found the hotel to be Marvellous and you also took advantage of one of our fantastic summer offers.

The hotel still has most of its original Victorian character which gives the "Grand" feel on entry.

We look forward to seeing you soon on your next visit to Leicester.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Ok not really a million degrees but at least 25-30 centigrade and the window barely opens! The hotel as you walk in is beautiful and grand, staff are amazing- really helpful. Room size is suitable as a twin in a city centre however the bathroom feels a little industrial but no issue with the shower and its power (apologies for the rhyme). I have stayed at Mercures before but none as uncomfortable as this one, something needs to be done about the heat to make this hotel better.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank rza3000
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

Interestingly most of our regular clients like a firm bed, however we are currently trialling two new beds from different suppliers to gather feedback with a view to replacing our complete stock in the next few months.

In relation to the heat we do supply portable fans for guest comfort during the very odd hot week or day we have in Leicester. Unfortunately fitting air conditioning throughout is a non starter due to being Grade 11 listed.

Delighted you found the staff amazing and obviously I would totally agree with you on that as does most of the previous tripadvisor comments.

We do hope to see you soon on your next visit to Leicester.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Business trip to Leicester resulted in a stay in this former Grand Hotel palace. Great city centre location with added bonus of parking too. My room was on the fifth floor which annoyingly the lift only heads up to floor four then a walk around the old building to get to the newer studio style appartments up top, which is a little frustrating is you have lots of kit to carry.

Room very clean modern and spacious (in a Premier Inn sort of way) but lacks some of the wow factor which I have experienced in other Mercure's I have stayed in, and on the night I stayed city was uncomfortably hot the room lacks aircon which added further to my disappiontment. Breakfast was nothing special and I guess the hotel was rather quiet given that the buffet was sparce.

Service very attentive espeically with local knowledge and fan for my hot room. Would recommend a stay here as great location although not on a hot night.

Room Tip: If you can avoid the fifth floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was glad to read you found our location and hotel to be good.

Regarding the 5th floor, we do explain this at check in and always offer the help with luggage at the same time to every customer. The rooms are modern and spacous.

Unfortunately due to being Grade 11 listed we can not install air condition however I was pleased my team offered the portable fan to help with your comfort.

Delighted also with the comments regarding the team as they are very attentive and I was glad you recognised this during your stay.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Accomodation : Spacious but very warm. (Sky Rooms on 5th floor)
Food : OK but flies all over the place. Have recommended to my colleagues not eat there again. Ate only half of my £22.50 meal limit but was charged an extortionate amount for one drink.
Service : Lacklustre service in bar/restaurant area

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MatthewBell
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Obviously disappointed by your comments regarding the service at dinner. As you can see from previous Tripadvisor reports we are very good at looking after most customers in a friendly and professional manner.

If you are staying with us in the near future may I ask you to contact myself direct so I can personally ensure a genuine hassle free stay and ensure my team provide you with our normal high quality of service.

Once again thank you for posting a review.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed on 17 August for one night. The hotel has a lovely grand feel to it. The staff made our stay, they were all helpful & friendly, especially the dark haired lady at breakfast who was lovely. We asked for a quiet room and were located at the back of the hotel so were pleased. The room was clean and had a great powerful shower over the bath. Parking was £5 for the stay and the car park had plenty of spaces which is excellent for a city centre hotel. Location was perfect in the centre for lots of shopping on the doorstep. Breakfast was great with a hot and cold buffet selection.

We will definately stay here again and were very pleased with the value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Thank you for taking the trouble to post a very positive review.

I was delighted you had a lovely stay.

As per previous tripadvisor reviews my team do make the hotel and again it is great for me as a General Manager to read such comments.

I was glad to see my reception team dealt with your room request in an efficient manner.

We are centrally located for a good city centre break and at £5 per night for car parking we are very reasonable indeed.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to seeing you soon where I am confident you will receive the same hospitality as you experienced during this visit.

Reviewed 18 August 2012 via mobile

The hotel is perfectly situated in the centre of town, a short walk to the entertainment and shopping districts.

It is shabby and in need of refurbishment. For example the stair carpets are badly worn and patched up with gaffer tape in places. The hotel is rated a four star but in actuality is more like a low end 3 star.

The staff were friendly and helpful at all times and the breakfast was reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank jonh77

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Achieving four stars is not all about how new the fabric of the building is. It is about great customer service. I am delighted you have stated my team were helpful and polite during your stay as they are the main reason we have 4 stars.

We are as you say in a "great location" only minutes walk away from the train station, Curve Theatre and The Highcross shopping area.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we do hope to see you soon on your next visit to Leicester.

Reviewed 15 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed one night whilst in business and managed to find a great deal on booking.com for a night's stay. The room was well appointed although there was no air conditioning. This was solved by a friendly member of staff sending up a fan to my room. The rooms didn't have the wow factor but for £39 I was impressed. I didn't manage to catch breakfast but the menu for their lunch and dinner looked mouthwatering. If you need a central location without the hefty price tag I recommend this hotel. Comfort on a budget. I did manage to take a quick peek at the room they provide for weddings and was very impressed. The staff on every occasion were very helpful and polite. I'll certainly stay here again if I need a quick stopover in Leicester on business.

• Stayed: August 2012
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

Delighted you took advantage of one of our great value summer break offers.

More importantly I was glad to read you found my team to be polite and helpful throughout your stay.

Our Kings Hall which you refer to is impressive and the oldest Victorian ball room in Leicester 114 years young. It still has all its origianal marble features with two stunning fire places.

We do hope to see you soon where I am sure you will receive the same level of service and hopefully get a chance to sample the "mouthwatering menu".