“Customer service at its best”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #25 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
London
“Customer service at its best”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Being African, I'm used to expecting a little less of hotel customer service. African hotels tend to overdo the custome care thing. Mercure Leicester has just changed my prejudice.
Their customer service skills were beyond their 4 stars. I was amazed. I asked for some favours that were ‘above and beyond’ call of duty of the staff and they were very helpful. I did have queries regarding billing but again, your staff deals with problems/ queries in the most friendly and personal manner. The events manager, Julian was very helpful, so was the lady at the bar yesterday morning. The ladies at reception were great. I was very impressed. I might have just been lucky, but I have no qualms whatsoever about recommending this hotel to anyone. Icing on the cake was that my survey was actually READ! This hotel obviously takes customer care very seriously. Try it out for yourself!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

As per most of the previous tripadvisor reviews, if there is one thing we are consistantly good at, it is looking after every single customer to the best of our ability. I was pleasing for me to read your comments as clearly the efforts my team go to are being recognised.

I will share this with the team as it does help for them to continually improve our services.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Ridiculous rooms, Dirty Showers, Poor Service, Dated Hotel. Only upside to this place is that it is in the city centre.

I certainly will not be going back here! I would have been better off at the Ibis or Premier Inn, Everything Premier but the Price. If you are looking to go to this place you will regret it.

1 Thank RobertM1976
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am extremely disappointed with the comments made as our rooms are very clean, very well maintained and at a price that is very reasonable.

We are in a great location and as per the previous tripadvisor comments our staff are fantastic.

Once again thank you for posting a review.

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

London
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Excellent location - 5 minutes from the railway station.

Hotel room is on the small side with door needing replacing - the hotel itself is very grand with excellent staircase. Staff are all very helpful. Carpet in hall in need of replacement.

You can park at the weekend for £5 per day.

Very comfy bed - BBC2 does not work for some reason

Got a really good deal £20-12 per night room only.

Breakfast is £10 or go outside turn right and you have a Weatherspoon pub available 60 metres away !.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted you where one of the lucky ones who managed to take advantage of the special £20.12 rate we put on sale to celebrate the Queens Diamond Jubilee.

I was also glad to read our team were very helpful and the bed to be comfortable.

Breakfast is better here as you can have as much or as little as you want.

I hope to see you soon on your next vist to Leicester.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Great central hotel (literally smack in the center of everything), and usually really competitive prices for what is a very good hotel (we searched and this was cheaper than Ibis/Premier Inn etc, which are all out of town). It is very grand, parking is a bargain £5 - never ate there so cant comment - would thoroughly recommend if in Leicester city centre.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Glad you found the hotel to be Marvellous and you also took advantage of one of our fantastic summer offers.

The hotel still has most of its original Victorian character which gives the "Grand" feel on entry.

We look forward to seeing you soon on your next visit to Leicester.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Ok not really a million degrees but at least 25-30 centigrade and the window barely opens! The hotel as you walk in is beautiful and grand, staff are amazing- really helpful. Room size is suitable as a twin in a city centre however the bathroom feels a little industrial but no issue with the shower and its power (apologies for the rhyme). I have stayed at Mercures before but none as uncomfortable as this one, something needs to be done about the heat to make this hotel better.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank rza3000
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

Interestingly most of our regular clients like a firm bed, however we are currently trialling two new beds from different suppliers to gather feedback with a view to replacing our complete stock in the next few months.

In relation to the heat we do supply portable fans for guest comfort during the very odd hot week or day we have in Leicester. Unfortunately fitting air conditioning throughout is a non starter due to being Grade 11 listed.

Delighted you found the staff amazing and obviously I would totally agree with you on that as does most of the previous tripadvisor comments.

We do hope to see you soon on your next visit to Leicester.
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Business trip to Leicester resulted in a stay in this former Grand Hotel palace. Great city centre location with added bonus of parking too. My room was on the fifth floor which annoyingly the lift only heads up to floor four then a walk around the old building to get to the newer studio style appartments up top, which is a little frustrating is you have lots of kit to carry.

Room very clean modern and spacious (in a Premier Inn sort of way) but lacks some of the wow factor which I have experienced in other Mercure's I have stayed in, and on the night I stayed city was uncomfortably hot the room lacks aircon which added further to my disappiontment. Breakfast was nothing special and I guess the hotel was rather quiet given that the buffet was sparce.

Service very attentive espeically with local knowledge and fan for my hot room. Would recommend a stay here as great location although not on a hot night.

Room Tip: If you can avoid the fifth floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was glad to read you found our location and hotel to be good.

Regarding the 5th floor, we do explain this at check in and always offer the help with luggage at the same time to every customer. The rooms are modern and spacous.

Unfortunately due to being Grade 11 listed we can not install air condition however I was pleased my team offered the portable fan to help with your comfort.

Delighted also with the comments regarding the team as they are very attentive and I was glad you recognised this during your stay.

Glasgow
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Accomodation : Spacious but very warm. (Sky Rooms on 5th floor)
Food : OK but flies all over the place. Have recommended to my colleagues not eat there again. Ate only half of my £22.50 meal limit but was charged an extortionate amount for one drink.
Service : Lacklustre service in bar/restaurant area

1 Thank MatthewBell
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Obviously disappointed by your comments regarding the service at dinner. As you can see from previous Tripadvisor reports we are very good at looking after most customers in a friendly and professional manner.

If you are staying with us in the near future may I ask you to contact myself direct so I can personally ensure a genuine hassle free stay and ensure my team provide you with our normal high quality of service.

Once again thank you for posting a review.