“Pretty poor”

Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reading
“Pretty poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

I paid for a Business Room at £120 p/night. This was a rip-off for the room and service quality.

I pre-authorized my card when checking in, but they said I hadn't. As a result, when going for breakfast, I was chased down for not paying, and told I had to pay there-and-there and couldn't put it on my room. Embarrassing.

The business room (or sky deck?!) was bit, but pretty tired. The ironing board cover was that kind of brown-yellow dirty colour, and the office furniture had kinda weird white stains on it (see picture).

The internet in my room was just crazy slow. Couldn't do the work I wanted to get done.

On the last night I was there, there was a function going on at night, which looked like an office party. This meant I could hear drunken people singing & shouting and a disco until well after midnight. If you're gonna annoy all your customers, don't hire out those facilities!

I'd recommend you look elsewhere in Leicester.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Having investigated the points raised in your post it has become apparant you never mentioned any of what was stated at the time. Customers also have a responsibility to to give the hotel the opportunity to rectify issues if they had any during your stay. I am disappointed we where not given this opportunity as I am confident my team would have remedied at the time.

The Sky Studio's are our most popular of bedrooms with our regular clients.

We do not have WiFi as yet in the bedrooms therefore I am amazed you got a signal. We are in the process of installing this through out the hotel and should be in place by mid January.

I am disappointed your stay did not exceed your expectations and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to provide you with our normal high level of service on your next visit to Leicester.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

Excellent location, situated at the heart of the city, great access for parking. Room was clean and so was the bathroom. I think it offers good value for money but not great. One other thing I had noticed in the room, was that i could not find any thermostat, as the room was getting hot and could not find one to reduce the room temperature

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted you stated we are a good hotel that is centrally located, easy parking facilities with a clean bedroom and bathroom.

The thermostats are located on the radiators in the bedrooms.

I was glad to read you found us value for money.

Once again thank you for posting a review.
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

I picked the Mercure Leicester due to its central location. It is perfectly located for access to the main shopping areas of Leicester, with plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance. The hotel is a grand old building, harking back to the 1920/30s. Walking into a large spacious foyer we were greeted at the checkin desk by a very helful lady who happily made some excellent reccomendations for places to eat and drink in the city. The room was large and clean although the bathroom was very small and basic. It is not really a 4 star hotel as others have mentioned, it lacks a little luxury and could do with a little renovation. However the price we paid was still very reasonable and as such can't really complain too much!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I am glad you chose us because of our location and value. We are as you have stated centrally located for everything you would want in a city break.

I was delighted you where greeted by one of our helpful receptionist. They are all pretty knowledgeable about the city and what it has to offer and I am glad they recommended plenty of places to eat and see.

The hotel itself is actually 114 years old so dates back as far as 1898 and we are due for some investment the latter part of this year and early next year. We are introducing Privilege Rooms which will have that extra little bit of luxury you mentioned. There is more anticipated however this will be the start.

We have 104 rooms all of different shape and size however more are in the larger bracket. I hope on your next visit that you do ask on arrival for a larger room on arrival and my team will quite gladly look at our availability and if possible fulfill your request.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and we hope to see you soon.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

Nothing works in this place. No one bothers to help you with luggage. Food is reheats from microwave and is expensive. Manky carpets in the rooms . Exorbitant barely functional internet with lame excuses from the staff "its faster on a proper laptop". When you do want something you have to hunt for staff who insist on then behaving like grinning jobsworths.
Clientel seems to consist mainly of travelling salesmen who get drunk and pass comment on every passing female and insinuate they are prostitutes.
Complaints are met with shrugged shoulders.
I've stayed in shacks in south america that were more welcoming that this place.
Noisy badly ventilated rooms.
Avoid like the plague.

1 Thank gary g
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Obviously we are very disappointed by the comments made as clearly they are not indicative or representative of our normal high level of service and comfort our regular customers are used too.

Our team are friendly, courteous and professional at all times and the previous tripadvisor comments would suggest that also.

If you are in the Leicester area again may I ask you to contact myself direct so I can personally make the necessary arrangement to ensure a pleasant stay.

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and two children aged 4 and 7 as part of a family party of about 16 people, as we were attending a family funeral the next day. We had 2 interconnecting rooms for the four of us. My father booked the hotel on the basis of its central location and past reputation as the Grand. The tariff was fairly economical for a four star hotel at £99 per room. The carpark is useful. However 'you get what you pay for' has never been truer.
- the hotel still retains grand interior decorative features, but dinner is served in a small windowless box next to a dated looking bar; breakfast is served in a spacious but gloomy restaurant area on the lower ground floor; the en suite in our room was fairly recent but shoddy looking.
- at check in the receptionist ended her spiel by telling me to call if anything was needed. On reaching the rooms I discovered that there was, bizarrely, only one set of towels in each en suite. So I phoned reception to request some more. I was asked if I had checked the drawers and cupboards and pertly informed that doing so (before wasting their time??) 'might have been a good idea'. Not a four star approach to customer service.
- service of dinner in the 'brasserie' aka bar-side box was slow and disorganised. The waitresses seemed to be bar staff untrained in food service. Although the table for our whole party had been booked in advance, and a table prepared for us, they seemed unready to serve. I asked if there was a childrens' menu - one, but only one, was brought so I then had to ask for another for my second son. The soup arrived tepid, slopped and without the advertised crouton. The burgers my son ordered were the very cheap odd-tasting sort, despite being served in a fancy bun. The chicken was ok but unexciting. Not a cheering meal.
- breakfast was plentiful and varied but mugs rather than cups were provided for tea and said beverage was very strong 'builder's' variety, my father observed it was the worst he had ever had - there were a number of employees from a well known energy company breakfasting but surely they didn't need or desire that sort of beverage first thing;
- my sister and I were misdirected slightly when we had to go to a local Sainsbury's to get food for the wake; worse, my husband asked for confirmation that a nearby cemetery shown on the hotel's local directional map was Saffron Hill where we were to attend the burial and was told it was - but it was a different one! Luckily we discovered this before setting out.
All in all a Travelodge or maybe the Marriott on the outskirts of town would probably be a better bet. Not even the central location really made up for all the problems.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank sjastark
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was disappointed to read some of your comments as l am confident my team would have rectified them at the time if you had made them aware. As mentioned in previous reviews we are passionate about the customer service we give at the hotel, l am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations. However, the majority of your party, on check out, gave us excellent feedback for both quality and service.
In answer to a couple of your comments,we are investing in the Brasserie area in the near future and upgrading the Restaurant.
Thank you again for your review.

James Conaghan
Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

As ex-pats on a sentimental visit to the City of my old school we were pleased that the Grand Hotel was still there. The Staff - from the General manager down who leads by example - were all friendly, helpful and efficient. Breakfast was excellent and the room outstanding. Good views, comfortably and well furnished. In a beautiful but venerable building of this age, rooms must differ and we had one of the better ones. Views along Granby Street and Belvoir Street corner, the Triple Glazing meant no disturbance from the street 2 floors below even though it happened to be Freshers' Week. The secure on-site Car Park was a boon.
We tend to visit Leicester every few decades but we are thinking of coming rather more often and will stay here again.
Stayed 23, 24 September 2012

Room Tip: Ask the management, the rooms differ and offer a range of views and arrangements The Triple Glazing...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank guestwithstandards
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a positive review.

I was delighted you have a very enjoyable stay with us on your return to Leicester.

The room you refer to is one of our largest and I was glad the recently installed secondary glazing is doing its job.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding myself, however it is the professionalism and customer care my team potray that make the difference.

Please do contact us on your next visit to Leicester so we can have have the opportunity to provide you with the same level of hospitality received on your recent stay with us.

Enjoy the Spanish sun this winter and we hope to see you in the New Year.
Nottingham England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

This is a large hotel in the city centre and has some grand features including its entrance. The room was fine although the bathroom window lacked any form of blind [just opaque glass and net curtain]. This from talking to colleagues also staying here seems to be quite standard but was not sufficient to ensure privacy.
Service at reception was good and there is a secure car park which is a plus in any city centre. We ate in the bar [pre booked] and although the food when it came was fine the service was extremely slow.

Room Tip: Streets below could be noisy at a weekend so try and face away from the main road.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

As stated we are in the heart of the city only minutes walk from the train station and main shopping areas.

The hotel as stated in previous reviews is a mixture of Victorian charm with a modern twist.

The bathroom windows you refer to we have a few not many and they are not over looked however I will investigate how we can fit blinds rather than nets.

Glad you recognised the service on reception was good and the food at dinner when it arrived was fine. I must point out we don't serve food fast we serve it well.

Once again thank you for posting a review.