“Warm Welcome, Great Staff, Excellent Food, Dis not want to leave”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Ireland/Germany
“Warm Welcome, Great Staff, Excellent Food, Dis not want to leave”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I booked a double room for single occupancy to breal my journey from North of England to the South.

I arrived at the hotel just after 3pm and was very warmly received at reception and alocated room 508 which I realised on arrival at the room was one of their Sky Studios, what a fab roomy room with great facilities!!!!!

I was on a D/B/B package (£104) this was just a great deal. I went for a walk around Leicester City Centre, what a great city, great shops, bars and restaurants and the lanes really surprised.

Back to the hotel for a showe before dinner, great bathroom and shower, downstairs for a few pre dinner drinks, the bar was busy because of a Rotary dinner or something but still the staff were friendly and efficient and said I could go into dinner when ever I was ready.

Dinner was excellent, I had the hog pate and the fillet steak washed down with some excellent wine selections from the Mercure wine list, service again was attentive and informative. A great dining experience.

A great nights sleep in a great room and breakfast in the lower ground dining room was again first class. Again it was the very warm welcome by the staff that made the difference, super staff, super breakfast, I genuinely did not want to leave.

I really did not think things could get better but check out was amazing, very bright and friendly lyoung lady and asked me how I enjoyed my stay, she even gave me complementary car parking!!

I spend most of my life travelling and staying in hotels and this has been the best experience I have had as a solo traveller and it is also the best Mercure Hotel that I have stayed in and I will be back and yes Leicester is a beautiful city.

Well done one and all.

Paschal Hanrahan

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Thank you Pascal for taking the time and trouble to post a very postive review.

I was delighted by every single comment, from the welcome, to the staff, to the food, to the bedroom and not forgetting the fact you did not want to leave. This is the sort of feedback that helps keep my team motivated to provide the service they do.

We do hope to see you soon on your next visit to Leicester as I am confident you will receive the same quality of service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I stay at the Mercure and run uk promotoions and I put my artists into the hotel regularly.

Reception staff are excellent always helpfull at sometimes very short notice
Rooms are perfectly equipped and very nice.

The old grand hotel definately stands up against the newer budget hotels which lack character and service.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very postive review.

I was delighted to read that my reception team always provide excellent service.

We certainly do not lack character, with a lot of the original woodwork and marble still maintained beautifully.

We look forward to looking after some more of your groups in the very near future.
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Perfectly compatible hotel with all the basics well covered. I stayed for work and it fulfilled my needs well.
The hotel, when I stayed was clean and quiet, my bed was comfortable and the room was large.
The exterior of the building is glorious however you might be disappointed by the interior which following a rather unsympathetic partial refurb clashes with many of the period features. The carpets are particularly garish. Also there are still some quite old school features still around such as a trouser press which made my room feel quite dated.
The bar and lobby has free wifi and is a perfectly nice place for a coffee or a glass of wine and all the bar staff are friendly and efficient.
The location is good with easy access to bars and restaurants

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was delighted to read that you found the hotel to be clean, quiet, bed comfortable, the room to be large and we fulfilled your needs well.

The exterior is glorious Victorian Grade 11 listed building.

The interior continues to present well and we are constantly investing as sypathetically as we can with the age and character of the building.

The trouser presses are being removed on a rolling program and we are replacing with full iron and ironing boards within the bedroom.

Glad you recognised the friendly and efficient bar staff.

Location is perfect within minutes of shopping, railway station and restaurants.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Leicester.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I came to Leicester for a weekend break and wanted to stay somewhere central. The Mercure Leicester is in a perfect location!
I parked onsite in a secure car park and my ticket was authorised so I could come and go as often as required.
The receptionist on check in was extremely helpful and couldn't have done more, as were the night staff throughout the stay.
The room was quiet and comfortable and had everything you could need including an amazing shower.
If you are looking for a great quality hotel at a great price in a great location I would highly recommend staying here!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank EmJ0113
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

As you say we are perfectly located with a secure car park at a reasonable price.

I was glad you recognised the team on reception and nights and as with most previous tripadvisor statements they do a fantastic job.

I was also delight you found the room to be quiet and comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future where I am sure you will receive the same level of service and comfort.
Reading
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I paid for a Business Room at £120 p/night. This was a rip-off for the room and service quality.

I pre-authorized my card when checking in, but they said I hadn't. As a result, when going for breakfast, I was chased down for not paying, and told I had to pay there-and-there and couldn't put it on my room. Embarrassing.

The business room (or sky deck?!) was bit, but pretty tired. The ironing board cover was that kind of brown-yellow dirty colour, and the office furniture had kinda weird white stains on it (see picture).

The internet in my room was just crazy slow. Couldn't do the work I wanted to get done.

On the last night I was there, there was a function going on at night, which looked like an office party. This meant I could hear drunken people singing & shouting and a disco until well after midnight. If you're gonna annoy all your customers, don't hire out those facilities!

I'd recommend you look elsewhere in Leicester.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Having investigated the points raised in your post it has become apparant you never mentioned any of what was stated at the time. Customers also have a responsibility to to give the hotel the opportunity to rectify issues if they had any during your stay. I am disappointed we where not given this opportunity as I am confident my team would have remedied at the time.

The Sky Studio's are our most popular of bedrooms with our regular clients.

We do not have WiFi as yet in the bedrooms therefore I am amazed you got a signal. We are in the process of installing this through out the hotel and should be in place by mid January.

I am disappointed your stay did not exceed your expectations and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to provide you with our normal high level of service on your next visit to Leicester.

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Excellent location, situated at the heart of the city, great access for parking. Room was clean and so was the bathroom. I think it offers good value for money but not great. One other thing I had noticed in the room, was that i could not find any thermostat, as the room was getting hot and could not find one to reduce the room temperature

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted you stated we are a good hotel that is centrally located, easy parking facilities with a clean bedroom and bathroom.

The thermostats are located on the radiators in the bedrooms.

I was glad to read you found us value for money.

Once again thank you for posting a review.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I picked the Mercure Leicester due to its central location. It is perfectly located for access to the main shopping areas of Leicester, with plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance. The hotel is a grand old building, harking back to the 1920/30s. Walking into a large spacious foyer we were greeted at the checkin desk by a very helful lady who happily made some excellent reccomendations for places to eat and drink in the city. The room was large and clean although the bathroom was very small and basic. It is not really a 4 star hotel as others have mentioned, it lacks a little luxury and could do with a little renovation. However the price we paid was still very reasonable and as such can't really complain too much!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I am glad you chose us because of our location and value. We are as you have stated centrally located for everything you would want in a city break.

I was delighted you where greeted by one of our helpful receptionist. They are all pretty knowledgeable about the city and what it has to offer and I am glad they recommended plenty of places to eat and see.

The hotel itself is actually 114 years old so dates back as far as 1898 and we are due for some investment the latter part of this year and early next year. We are introducing Privilege Rooms which will have that extra little bit of luxury you mentioned. There is more anticipated however this will be the start.

We have 104 rooms all of different shape and size however more are in the larger bracket. I hope on your next visit that you do ask on arrival for a larger room on arrival and my team will quite gladly look at our availability and if possible fulfill your request.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and we hope to see you soon.