“Two day busines trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Southport
“Two day busines trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Great location, in the centre of Leicester, ate in the hotel one night the food was good. The ground floor restaurant was closed and all the meals were being served downstairsin a very unappealing restaurant due to the number of people dining. I didn't like the idea of that but a very accomodating bar man let me choose off the main menu and ate in the bar, much better than a dowdy underground restaurant.
The room was a bit dissapointing, on the fifth floor, lift only goes to the fourth floor, a long treck with suit case, lap top and suit carrier.
Room itself ok, not good value for the price, very basic, no wardrobe just a hanging rail, a bit like an Ibis, the bed was the main problem, it was on castors and slid across the floor when you tried to sit up in bed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was delighted you found the location to be great right in the centre of Leicester.

I was also glad to read the comments regarding the accommodating bar man who served you dinner in the ground floor lounge/bar area. This is were we would normally serve dinner however as we had over 60 inclusive guests attending a training course we decided to serve in our breakfast room due to the size of the room. I was also pleased to read that you found the food to be good.

The rooms on the fifth floor are our most popular rooms because of their minimalist design. I was disappointed to read the comments regarding the bed.

We are about to start our bedroom redesign and you will be glad to note that every bed will be replaced by September.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we hope to see you soon on your next visit to Leicester.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
IOW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

Yet again another fab stay at this hotel, the staff cease to amaze us, nothing is to much trouble
Took dinner and breakfast this time and both meals beat anything we usually experience at a 4 star hotel, many thanks to the chef,
Would highly recommend this hotel and we look forward to returning in the summer, this hotel is in such a great location for all of the local attractions

Room Tip: Try a Privilege Room
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

It is always a pleasure responding to customers who keep returning and having a great experience.

May I thank you for the kind comments regarding our team and note the special mention to the chef. I will share your comments with the team as this help them continuously improve standards.

I note your room tip - "try a Privilege Room". We have only recently completed these and they have received some fantastic feedback so far. Great bed, great decor and great space seems to be the theme.

You will also be glad to note that we are currently in the process of refurbishing a further 86 bedrooms which we are hoping to be complete by September this year so not quite for your return in the summer.

Once again thank you for kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the summer.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

I booked a group of 18 people into the hotel for a week and booked meeting rooms for workshops. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff - we had last minute changes to the workshops so our requirements changed a few times, they understood and worked round complicated arrangments, we had to have a special halal menu designed for us, they found city maps for us, gave recommendations to local restaurants that could cater for a halal diet and even called our coach company to sort out a problem. I can't praise the staff enough, they are friendly and make really make you feel like a valued customer.

The hotel is 10 minutes from the station and in easy walking distance of shopping and sights of Leicester so very conveniently located.

My only criticism is that the rooms are a bit dated (paint chipping off in areas grubby looking carpet) but the hotel is well looked after and clean.

Room Tip: Some rooms are newer than others and I think the newer ones are on the 3rd floor
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted to read the comments regarding our team. They do at every ocassion try and provide the level of service and care you and your colleagues received during your stay with us.

We are as you have stated in a great location only minutes from the train station, shopping area and the Curve Theatre.

In relation to the bedrooms, you will be delighted to note that we are currently in the process of refurbishing all and we are looking to be complete by September 2013. However as you have stated they are clean and well maintained.

Once again thank you for a very positive review and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Leicester.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

An older looking hotel in the centre of Leicester which is benefiting from refurbishment of the rooms, this is my second stay here the first was in the week on business last year and this time on a Saturday night after taking my daughter back to Uni. The room was very comfortable and spacious with a nespresso coffee machine etc. The room we had 323 was very quiet for a city centre room on a Saturday night. They have a car park, which is great as you can walk into the town and restaurants. Lovely stay and I would go back again.

Room Tip: I managed to get my room for £63.00 and had room 323 which is a large room and very quiet
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted to read the comments regarding 323, which has been recently refurbished as one of our Privilege Rooms. You will also be glad to note that we are in the process of planning to complete the remainder of our bedrooms to a similar standard and we are hoping to have this complete by September 2013.

Our car park is a great benefit for a city centre hotel and currently only charge at £5 per night.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you soon where I am confident you will have another "Lovely Stay".
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

This hotel is the perfect city centre hotel. It's a very convenient location for a weekend in Leicester, with excellent shopping, bars and restaurants all within walking distance. I've stayed here many times and I've not had a bad room yet - always warm, comfortable and cosy. Plus it only costs £5 to park for 24 hours. We don't bother with breakfast as we prefer to go out for lunch instead so I cannot make any useful comment.

In particular, I would like to mention the staff who could not be more helpful, friendly and professional. I would like to give a special thank you to Miriam, who was absolutely charming.
All in all I would highly recommend this hotel for a city break. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a postive review.

I was delighted you had a lovely stay as usual.

May I also thank you for the kind comments regarding the team and in particular Miriam. Our team do work extremely hard to provide the sort of care and attention you received to every guest.

Our location is as stated perfect for a city break right in the heart of the city.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to welcoming you back where I am confident you will receive the same high quality of service.
Dereham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

The hotel was ok apart from there being no heating in my bathroom BUT, why on earth are hotels still using plastic sausages and cheap factory produced bread for breakfasts?

I had B&B at £75 and it wasn't worth anything like that, with a cold bathroom and cheap breakfast. The charge for breakfast for non-residents was £14. I'm so pleased that I didn't invite any business associates to breakfast as I would have been embarrassed to offer them such cheap food.

Why do hotels not support the local economy by using the local butcher and baker?

Room Tip: If you must stay in this hotel, ask to have a room that has heating in the bathroom.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Obviously we are very disappointed with your comments. However, as we are part of a corporate group and we have to adhere to certain standards. We do review our breakfasts on a regular basis and the sausage chosen was a result of a tasting process and in fact is a pretty expensive product. We do supply local Leicestershire honey and are looking to promote more local products in the near future.

Thank you again for your feedback which l will share with my team

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

Stayed here for one night on business. Was not familiar to the area and If your coming by car its difficult to find. My sat nav had a tough job. Ended up having to park in a NCP car park.

Rooms look a little tired. Breakfast was the biggest disappointment. Tasteless scrambled egg with a horrible texture, beans cooked till they were just mush and strange tasting sausages. They have the cheek to want to charge £12.95 if not included in the room. I urge the management to try that food and honestly give there opinion, you cannot say it is worth anywhere near £12.95. I've had better airplane food!

1 Thank londonmackam
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review
I was disappointed to read that our breakfasts did not meet your expectations, we do regular checks on our buffet and the food is cooked fresh, however, we feel that are breakfast price is competitive in comparison to other hotels in Leicestershire.
Thank you again for your feedback which l will share with my Head Chef.