“Not what I was expecting....awful!”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #25 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
“Not what I was expecting....awful!”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The most important part of my stay was terrible! The mattress was like sleeping in a bath full of springs! Awful! Also there was one spare plug socket for 2 iPhone chargers a laptop and an Xbox! Couldn't connect Xbox because tv is locked down so you can't flick through av port!! Pointless!! Food was very good in the restaurant with ok service. Staff friendly enough but not overly helpful when enquiring about Xbox as 'engineers' go home at 3pm! Could do with a gymnasium for the guests as the one they provide is 10 mins away and you have to pay £5 everytime you want to go!! Location is very good as its in the heart of the city but I defiantly wouldn't stay here again unless they had a serious update/renovation.

• Stayed May 2013
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

You will be delighted to hear that we are about to start our bedroom refit and in fact the beds are starting to arrive from Wednesday 15th May.

In relation to the Xbox, I believe one of my team went to the room and resolved this issue. We do not encourage the connection of electronic devices to the TV system as it is connected to the main server and could very easily bring the whole system down.

On a positive note thank you for the comments regarding the food and staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Leicester
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I just wanted to say what a great venue the KIngs Room made for the Leicester Riders Basketball Team's end of season dinner. The room looked splendid, the food was great and your staff were a credit to you, they were all very helpful and polite and did everything with a smile! The feedback from everyone has been extremely positive, the supporters club arrange several social events during the season and Mercure Leicester will be my first port of call when looking for a venue.
My room was spacious, spotlessly clean and with everything I needed, there was a good choice on the buffet breakfast and again staff were friendly and helpful wiothout being intrusive.

Would definately use again.

Room Tip: if you have mobility issues ask to be on 4th floor or below the hotel has 5 floors but lift only goe...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thank you so much for the kind review.

Our Kings Hall is stunning with all the original Victorian character still preserved.

May I also congratulate the Riders on their most successful season ever and we do look forward to working with you again in the near future.

I was also delighted to read the comments regarding the team, your bedroom and the breakfast buffet.

Once again thank you for posting such a positive review.
Bilbao, Spain
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Really friendly and helpful staff !!! Thanks for the good service !!! Having said that rest it is not so positive, cleanness, outdated, dirty carpet, tiny room, and a very long etc. Sorry, yes there is another good thing, it is well located in the centre and close to facilities and some average Pubs. Hard to believe that this is a four star hotel as it is proudly shown at the reception desk.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I must point out that achieving 4 stars is a combination of criteria. We scored very highly on service and I note you recognised how friendly and helpful my team are and they delivered good aservice.

You will be glad to note that we are about to embark on an 86 bedroom refit starting May and hoping to be complete by September.

Thanks also for pointing out how well located we are.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Leicester.
Leeds
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I was allocated room 218 upon arrival by an uninviting receptionist. I was unable to fit my wheely case between the dressing table and wall which resulted in my having to lift it into the miniscule room. I had to walk side ways to get into bed and the bath room was cold and old.
Checking out the same receptionist took payment without a 'Hope you enjoyed your stay with us'
Thanks but no thanks Miriam

1 Thank Maria S
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

Obviously we are very disappointed by your comments and particularly in relation to Miriam. She is one of our more senior receptionists and normally would provide every guest with the best care and service. Please may I express my sincere apologies if this was not the case.

If you are in the Leicester again please do not hesitate to contact myself direct so I can personally make the necessary arrangements to ensure a pleasant stay.

James Conaghan

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Reviewed 23 April 2013

A well needed girly weekend away was made very enjoyable by this hotel and its staff. A lovely welcome, a very clean and well organised hotel and the staff were just fantastic in every way. We were very interested in the history and layout of the hotel and was having a noise around when a member of staff saw us and spent a good 15 mins showing us around and talking to us. The bedrooms were clean, modern and very comfortable. The hotel has a great, secure car park. The location was brilliant for what we girls wanted. All the shops / bars and restaurants within a few minutes walk. I will defiantly be recommending this hotel to friends / family and I will defiantly be going back to this hotel again in the future. Many thanks for a very enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed April 2013
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

I was extremely pleased to read the comments regarding the team and as with most other Tripadvisor posts they are our greatest asset and they do at every ocassion try and provide the high quality of service you received to every guest.

The hotel is a Grade 11 listed Victorian building with many of the original features still remaining which is part of its charm and beauty. We are currently investing in our bedrooms and hoping to be complete in September this year which will further enhance our offering.

Our location is fantastic right in the heart of the city and only minutes walk from the shopping area, Curve Theatre, bars/restaurants, Richard 111 exhibition and the train station.

Having a secure car park in a city centre hotel is a great benefit and currently only charged at £5 per night for residents.

I was delighted you and your girl friends had a "very enjoyable stay" and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Southport
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Great location, in the centre of Leicester, ate in the hotel one night the food was good. The ground floor restaurant was closed and all the meals were being served downstairsin a very unappealing restaurant due to the number of people dining. I didn't like the idea of that but a very accomodating bar man let me choose off the main menu and ate in the bar, much better than a dowdy underground restaurant.
The room was a bit dissapointing, on the fifth floor, lift only goes to the fourth floor, a long treck with suit case, lap top and suit carrier.
Room itself ok, not good value for the price, very basic, no wardrobe just a hanging rail, a bit like an Ibis, the bed was the main problem, it was on castors and slid across the floor when you tried to sit up in bed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was delighted you found the location to be great right in the centre of Leicester.

I was also glad to read the comments regarding the accommodating bar man who served you dinner in the ground floor lounge/bar area. This is were we would normally serve dinner however as we had over 60 inclusive guests attending a training course we decided to serve in our breakfast room due to the size of the room. I was also pleased to read that you found the food to be good.

The rooms on the fifth floor are our most popular rooms because of their minimalist design. I was disappointed to read the comments regarding the bed.

We are about to start our bedroom redesign and you will be glad to note that every bed will be replaced by September.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we hope to see you soon on your next visit to Leicester.
IOW
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Yet again another fab stay at this hotel, the staff cease to amaze us, nothing is to much trouble
Took dinner and breakfast this time and both meals beat anything we usually experience at a 4 star hotel, many thanks to the chef,
Would highly recommend this hotel and we look forward to returning in the summer, this hotel is in such a great location for all of the local attractions

Room Tip: Try a Privilege Room
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

It is always a pleasure responding to customers who keep returning and having a great experience.

May I thank you for the kind comments regarding our team and note the special mention to the chef. I will share your comments with the team as this help them continuously improve standards.

I note your room tip - "try a Privilege Room". We have only recently completed these and they have received some fantastic feedback so far. Great bed, great decor and great space seems to be the theme.

You will also be glad to note that we are currently in the process of refurbishing a further 86 bedrooms which we are hoping to be complete by September this year so not quite for your return in the summer.

Once again thank you for kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the summer.