“Bland!”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I booked this hotel for its location in relation to the Curve theatre, very handy!
I had booked months in advance a superior room, this was confirmed by email and I called two days prior to arrival to ensure all was in order and was assured I had been allocated a superior room in a refurbished part of the hotel.
At check in I had been allocated a classic room type( Room 510), due to a leak!! (I'm a hotel manager - come on be more original). I was assured the room allocated would offer me the same as a superior, so I made my way to the room following the three different technicolour carpets, not easy to find and room was up in the gods.
The room itself was a very good size but sadly lacked any personality and design flair, on first impressions the room looked clean and tidy, scratch beneath the service to find dusty head board, picture tops, stained sofa, floral arrangement thick with dust, curtains not fastened at the side, black mildew on the grout in the shower and ripped wall paper, room for housekeeping improvement.
Maintenance - Cracked handbasin in the bathroom.
Staff friendly enough but didnt exceed expectations in any way.
Breakfast selection was like a through back to the 80's with nothing to make it interesting.
Restaurant was dark , dismal and lacked personality.
on a positive note it is great that a city centre hotel has on site car parking and i personally thought £5.00 was a very reasonable.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
GeneralManager012, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Thank you for posting your review, as your feedback is a valuable tool to our business.
You had booked a privilege room through your reservation site and unfortunately all of these rooms and our superior room were already full.
You were informed correctly about the room that was previously booked for you and the problem with the leak, unfortunately this materialised from an overflow from the room above.
Please be assured that all your comments are being investigated to ensure no further repitition
However, l thank you for your positive comments
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Leicester City in the future.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

This is a gem of a city centre hotel.First class accommodation from start to finish. We stay in this hotel always when have visiting to friends .Excellent service, easy check-in, great parking, access, and location. Hotel was just perfect, size, location, well equipped. Had a fantastic experience in this hotel would definitely stay again and would definitely recommend to anyone traveling for business or leisure .Fantastic friendly staff . I will be back ...

• Stayed: May 2013
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

The comments which I will share with the team will encourage all to continue to deliver this quality of service at all times.

Once again thank you for the kind review and we hope to see you soon on your next visit to Leicester.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

City centre location. Nice building with open reception lobby with a number of low tables and comfortable chairs. Convenient secure car parking at the rear of the hotel. Reception staff were polite cheerful and efficient. Hotel lobby, public areas and rooms were clean and comfortable.

Stayed in Room 304 which had everything I needed. Bath with shower over and plenty of hot water. Bed was excellent. Noise from the street below was bothersome as I like to have the window open, but if you sleep with the window closed then the secondary glazing does cut this done considerably.

Had a meal in the bar / lounge which was well priced and tasty, however...we had to wait over an hour as apparently the restaurant was very busy and these customers get priority. Could do better! There was an excellent choice at breakfast and all items seemed good quality.

I would use the hotel again but would book a meal in the restaurant and ask for a room at the back.

Room Tip: Lift only goes to 4th floor so floor 5 is accessed by stairs.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted by your headline, as we are clean, efficient & comfortable.

We are also about to further enhance our product with a bedroom upgrade and hoping to be complete by Autumn.

In relation to the dinner we were extremely busy in the last two weeks with dinner inclusive guests and you should have been advised to reserve a table.

Once again thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you on your next vist to Leicester.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

The most important part of my stay was terrible! The mattress was like sleeping in a bath full of springs! Awful! Also there was one spare plug socket for 2 iPhone chargers a laptop and an Xbox! Couldn't connect Xbox because tv is locked down so you can't flick through av port!! Pointless!! Food was very good in the restaurant with ok service. Staff friendly enough but not overly helpful when enquiring about Xbox as 'engineers' go home at 3pm! Could do with a gymnasium for the guests as the one they provide is 10 mins away and you have to pay £5 everytime you want to go!! Location is very good as its in the heart of the city but I defiantly wouldn't stay here again unless they had a serious update/renovation.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

You will be delighted to hear that we are about to start our bedroom refit and in fact the beds are starting to arrive from Wednesday 15th May.

In relation to the Xbox, I believe one of my team went to the room and resolved this issue. We do not encourage the connection of electronic devices to the TV system as it is connected to the main server and could very easily bring the whole system down.

On a positive note thank you for the comments regarding the food and staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I just wanted to say what a great venue the KIngs Room made for the Leicester Riders Basketball Team's end of season dinner. The room looked splendid, the food was great and your staff were a credit to you, they were all very helpful and polite and did everything with a smile! The feedback from everyone has been extremely positive, the supporters club arrange several social events during the season and Mercure Leicester will be my first port of call when looking for a venue.
My room was spacious, spotlessly clean and with everything I needed, there was a good choice on the buffet breakfast and again staff were friendly and helpful wiothout being intrusive.

Would definately use again.

Room Tip: if you have mobility issues ask to be on 4th floor or below the hotel has 5 floors but lift only goe...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Thank you so much for the kind review.

Our Kings Hall is stunning with all the original Victorian character still preserved.

May I also congratulate the Riders on their most successful season ever and we do look forward to working with you again in the near future.

I was also delighted to read the comments regarding the team, your bedroom and the breakfast buffet.

Once again thank you for posting such a positive review.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Really friendly and helpful staff !!! Thanks for the good service !!! Having said that rest it is not so positive, cleanness, outdated, dirty carpet, tiny room, and a very long etc. Sorry, yes there is another good thing, it is well located in the centre and close to facilities and some average Pubs. Hard to believe that this is a four star hotel as it is proudly shown at the reception desk.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I must point out that achieving 4 stars is a combination of criteria. We scored very highly on service and I note you recognised how friendly and helpful my team are and they delivered good aservice.

You will be glad to note that we are about to embark on an 86 bedroom refit starting May and hoping to be complete by September.

Thanks also for pointing out how well located we are.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Leicester.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

I was allocated room 218 upon arrival by an uninviting receptionist. I was unable to fit my wheely case between the dressing table and wall which resulted in my having to lift it into the miniscule room. I had to walk side ways to get into bed and the bath room was cold and old.
Checking out the same receptionist took payment without a 'Hope you enjoyed your stay with us'
Thanks but no thanks Miriam

1  Thank Maria S
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

Obviously we are very disappointed by your comments and particularly in relation to Miriam. She is one of our more senior receptionists and normally would provide every guest with the best care and service. Please may I express my sincere apologies if this was not the case.

If you are in the Leicester again please do not hesitate to contact myself direct so I can personally make the necessary arrangements to ensure a pleasant stay.

James Conaghan