“Excellent Service”

Ranked #24 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

I needed to find a hotel at short notice on Bank holiday weekend, my 3G was slow so I telephoned direct to the hotel. They promptly told me I could have the same price as the internet displayed and I thought this was extremely reasonable for a Friday on a bank holiday weekend. I turned up to find ample parking for only £5. I was greeted by very friendly reception staff and I was advised on a number of places I could eat. I opted for the hotels own restaurant which was very reasonably priced and my food was brilliant. I will certainly stay here again if I am in the area. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a positive review.

I was delighted by the comments regarding the team as they are a pretty efficient, friendly bunch who do work extremely hard to provide the best possible service to every guest.

I was also glad to read to chose to dine with us and you found the food to be "brilliant" and reasonably priced.

Once again thank you for your positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a lovely stay in this grand old hotel. Our room, with large bay window overlooking the street, was very spacious, and provided an espresso machine and sufficient coffee pods to keep even us Pacific Northwesterners amply caffeinated. The queen-sized bed was conducive to a good night's sleep, and despite the hustle and bustle in the streets below our window, the room was delightfully quiet. The location is central such that we were able to walk to all of the areas which we had hoped to visit, save Bosworth Field, which is an easy bus ride away. We would stay here again in a heartbeat. I would put a plug in for the struggling little French restaurant, Le Petit Rouge, just half a block north of the hotel on Granby.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

I was delighted by the comments regarding the bedroom which has recently be refurbished to one of our Privilege rooms. This includes the Espresso machine that you have referred to in your feedback. The bed is also brand new and has had raving reviews from guests who have stayed in our Privilege rooms. We have have started to introduce these into all our bedrooms as part of our bedroom refit.

Our location is very good and I was really please to note that you would chose to stay with us again in a heart beat.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Good clean hotel for a city break, basic rooms but do the job just fine. Fast and easy check in all staff seamed very nice. Its in a very good location right near the train station and the town centre. would recomened it for a stay!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was delighted to read your head line note "good location and value for money". Our location is great, right in the heart of the city only minutes from the main shopping area, Curve Theatre and for those who travel by train, the station is at the top of our street.

I was also glad to read the comments regarding check in and the friendly team.

In relation to the bedrooms, yes they are clean and tidy and are about to get a redesign which will be fantastic for all. The beds started arriving this week and decoration to start by the end of May with a veiw to finishing September this year.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Leicester.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

I booked this hotel for its location in relation to the Curve theatre, very handy!
I had booked months in advance a superior room, this was confirmed by email and I called two days prior to arrival to ensure all was in order and was assured I had been allocated a superior room in a refurbished part of the hotel.
At check in I had been allocated a classic room type( Room 510), due to a leak!! (I'm a hotel manager - come on be more original). I was assured the room allocated would offer me the same as a superior, so I made my way to the room following the three different technicolour carpets, not easy to find and room was up in the gods.
The room itself was a very good size but sadly lacked any personality and design flair, on first impressions the room looked clean and tidy, scratch beneath the service to find dusty head board, picture tops, stained sofa, floral arrangement thick with dust, curtains not fastened at the side, black mildew on the grout in the shower and ripped wall paper, room for housekeeping improvement.
Maintenance - Cracked handbasin in the bathroom.
Staff friendly enough but didnt exceed expectations in any way.
Breakfast selection was like a through back to the 80's with nothing to make it interesting.
Restaurant was dark , dismal and lacked personality.
on a positive note it is great that a city centre hotel has on site car parking and i personally thought £5.00 was a very reasonable.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
GeneralManager012, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Thank you for posting your review, as your feedback is a valuable tool to our business.
You had booked a privilege room through your reservation site and unfortunately all of these rooms and our superior room were already full.
You were informed correctly about the room that was previously booked for you and the problem with the leak, unfortunately this materialised from an overflow from the room above.
Please be assured that all your comments are being investigated to ensure no further repitition
However, l thank you for your positive comments
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Leicester City in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

This is a gem of a city centre hotel.First class accommodation from start to finish. We stay in this hotel always when have visiting to friends .Excellent service, easy check-in, great parking, access, and location. Hotel was just perfect, size, location, well equipped. Had a fantastic experience in this hotel would definitely stay again and would definitely recommend to anyone traveling for business or leisure .Fantastic friendly staff . I will be back ...

• Stayed May 2013
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

The comments which I will share with the team will encourage all to continue to deliver this quality of service at all times.

Once again thank you for the kind review and we hope to see you soon on your next visit to Leicester.
kilmarnock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

City centre location. Nice building with open reception lobby with a number of low tables and comfortable chairs. Convenient secure car parking at the rear of the hotel. Reception staff were polite cheerful and efficient. Hotel lobby, public areas and rooms were clean and comfortable.

Stayed in Room 304 which had everything I needed. Bath with shower over and plenty of hot water. Bed was excellent. Noise from the street below was bothersome as I like to have the window open, but if you sleep with the window closed then the secondary glazing does cut this done considerably.

Had a meal in the bar / lounge which was well priced and tasty, however...we had to wait over an hour as apparently the restaurant was very busy and these customers get priority. Could do better! There was an excellent choice at breakfast and all items seemed good quality.

I would use the hotel again but would book a meal in the restaurant and ask for a room at the back.

Room Tip: Lift only goes to 4th floor so floor 5 is accessed by stairs.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted by your headline, as we are clean, efficient & comfortable.

We are also about to further enhance our product with a bedroom upgrade and hoping to be complete by Autumn.

In relation to the dinner we were extremely busy in the last two weeks with dinner inclusive guests and you should have been advised to reserve a table.

Once again thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you on your next vist to Leicester.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

The most important part of my stay was terrible! The mattress was like sleeping in a bath full of springs! Awful! Also there was one spare plug socket for 2 iPhone chargers a laptop and an Xbox! Couldn't connect Xbox because tv is locked down so you can't flick through av port!! Pointless!! Food was very good in the restaurant with ok service. Staff friendly enough but not overly helpful when enquiring about Xbox as 'engineers' go home at 3pm! Could do with a gymnasium for the guests as the one they provide is 10 mins away and you have to pay £5 everytime you want to go!! Location is very good as its in the heart of the city but I defiantly wouldn't stay here again unless they had a serious update/renovation.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

You will be delighted to hear that we are about to start our bedroom refit and in fact the beds are starting to arrive from Wednesday 15th May.

In relation to the Xbox, I believe one of my team went to the room and resolved this issue. We do not encourage the connection of electronic devices to the TV system as it is connected to the main server and could very easily bring the whole system down.

On a positive note thank you for the comments regarding the food and staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels