“Unexpected comfort in Leicester” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
london
“Unexpected comfort in Leicester”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

The Mercure's advantage for me was that it was 5 minutes walk from the railway station. I wasn't expecting much, and it is on a very run down street. However, you are central and there is a Tesco nearby and many restaurants and pubs. But I was really surprised by the hotel, which was extremely friendly and welcoming. The room (twin) was very spacious with a spacious bathroom. It was quiet, clean and comfortable. The only downside was a rather miserable TV system which was slow and had very few channels, also no movies. But I would definitely go there again - it was only £60 for the night.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

We are very centrally located and yes there are a few shops that are for let on the street but I do not think it is run down. This is unfortunately the same in any city currently.

The hotel and the team are very welcoming and I was delighted you recognised this.

The TV system is going to be changed during the current bedroom refit with the installation of Free-view so guests will have pretty much the same choice as they do at home.

I also note you took advantage of one of our special offers that can be fund on www.mercureleicester.co.uk.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Ta' l-Ibragg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

This hotel is definitely out of date. Our room had a musky smell due to its age and the furniture and bathroom are in desperate need of refurbishment. We were deceived by the pictures above, probably taken quite a few years ago now. Breakfast was served in a dull underground hall while the carpets throughout the hotel were worn. In terms of the Mercure standard this definitely did not reach any of our expectations. My son lives in Leicester - I will definitely choose another established hotel next time.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

The pictures where taken last year and in fact they are a little out of date as we have refurbished 7 rooms already and a further 97 to be done before the end of September this year. Once we have completed these we will up date our gallery.

Once again thank you for posting a review and please do pop in the next time you are visiting your son and I will happily show you the changes that are taking place.

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

At first glance everything seems fine, but once you have wandered around you notice tired looking carpets, poor decoration and a general lack of attention to detail. Went to the restaurant on the first evening of my visit and chose Shepherds pie, bad idea, 95% potato and cheese and maybe 5% meat. Rather expensive for half a pound of potato. Would I book again ? Don't think so.

Room Tip: Don't book a skylight room as it is a trek from the lift.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was disappointed to read the comments regarding the evening meal. The freshly home made Shepherds Pie is one of our most popular of dishes and normally receives great feedback.

We are currently investing into our beautiful grade 11 listed hotel and I am confident the changes taking place in our bedrooms will be fantastic for all.

Once again thank you for your review.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

We've used the hotel now for three years in succession, for a business conference with 170 delegates. We originally chose the hotel because of it's great central location, and the fact that it has a perfect, untouched, Victorian meeting hall on the first floor, which for our conference is perfect.
The hotel staff have got to know us and the whole A/V team, who organise all the techhie stuff, staging, ext. All the staff, from banqueting, to front of house to night porter have excelled over the past three years. Very unusual when it comes to a large business event.
Only one criticism - the front of the hotel badly needs restoring. The modern glass lobby just jars badly with the fine Victorian facade. And the rooms are tired, although spotlessly clean and well equipped.
Breakfast in the lower ground restaurant area is good - nice selection of cereals, cold meats, fruits, etc and the traditional English cooked breakfast looked pretty good.

Room Tip: I believe the suites are very good. Standard rooms are fine for one or two nights.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a positive review.

It is always a pleasure to respond to such nice comments regarding the hotel, the team, the cleanliness and the good breakfast.

We are ideally located for conferences like yours that have now been coming for 3 years and I believe the 4th has been pencilled in.

In relation to the rooms they are soon to bed updated and hoping to be complete by September this year. The ground floor is currently being discussed as the next area to be refurbished however this will be early next year should approval be giving.

Once again thank you for the kind comments and we look forward to seeing you in May next year.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

I needed to find a hotel at short notice on Bank holiday weekend, my 3G was slow so I telephoned direct to the hotel. They promptly told me I could have the same price as the internet displayed and I thought this was extremely reasonable for a Friday on a bank holiday weekend. I turned up to find ample parking for only £5. I was greeted by very friendly reception staff and I was advised on a number of places I could eat. I opted for the hotels own restaurant which was very reasonably priced and my food was brilliant. I will certainly stay here again if I am in the area. Thank you!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a positive review.

I was delighted by the comments regarding the team as they are a pretty efficient, friendly bunch who do work extremely hard to provide the best possible service to every guest.

I was also glad to read to chose to dine with us and you found the food to be "brilliant" and reasonably priced.

Once again thank you for your positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a lovely stay in this grand old hotel. Our room, with large bay window overlooking the street, was very spacious, and provided an espresso machine and sufficient coffee pods to keep even us Pacific Northwesterners amply caffeinated. The queen-sized bed was conducive to a good night's sleep, and despite the hustle and bustle in the streets below our window, the room was delightfully quiet. The location is central such that we were able to walk to all of the areas which we had hoped to visit, save Bosworth Field, which is an easy bus ride away. We would stay here again in a heartbeat. I would put a plug in for the struggling little French restaurant, Le Petit Rouge, just half a block north of the hotel on Granby.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

I was delighted by the comments regarding the bedroom which has recently be refurbished to one of our Privilege rooms. This includes the Espresso machine that you have referred to in your feedback. The bed is also brand new and has had raving reviews from guests who have stayed in our Privilege rooms. We have have started to introduce these into all our bedrooms as part of our bedroom refit.

Our location is very good and I was really please to note that you would chose to stay with us again in a heart beat.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Good clean hotel for a city break, basic rooms but do the job just fine. Fast and easy check in all staff seamed very nice. Its in a very good location right near the train station and the town centre. would recomened it for a stay!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was delighted to read your head line note "good location and value for money". Our location is great, right in the heart of the city only minutes from the main shopping area, Curve Theatre and for those who travel by train, the station is at the top of our street.

I was also glad to read the comments regarding check in and the friendly team.

In relation to the bedrooms, yes they are clean and tidy and are about to get a redesign which will be fantastic for all. The beds started arriving this week and decoration to start by the end of May with a veiw to finishing September this year.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Leicester.