Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$121
US$110
US$98
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Leicester North West Hotel(Leicester)(Great Value!)
US$71
PremierInn.com
US$88
PremierInn.com
All reviewsprivilege roommarco's restaurantcar parkcity centregranby streetpublic areassaturday nightbreakfast stafflarge roombuffet stylestayed for one nightrailway stationvictorianmakeovervenueironuniversity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed for business, the location of the hotel is central and convenient, even if the street leaves something to be desired.
Beautiful lobby and bar area.
Corridors are tired and dated.
Rooms, good size for my double, nicely put together and decorated, and comfy bed. The tv is tiny, and a little uncomfortable chair. No mini-bar.
Bathroom was small and very dated, the finish of the installations was poor, not what you expect in a high end hotel, screws loose and loose panels, the bath was narrow and lacked any luxury, perhaps worse, my towels we're shabby and looked well used.

Food - average to poor. Had some bread and oil (nothing to complain about) French onion soup (average to good, but not home made) and pork on mustard mash with veg. The pork was fatty rather than moist, the fat hadn't been rendered. Bland mash and sauce, and frankly, rubbish veg. The 'crackling' was the worst I've ever had, quite simply appalling, was more like a wet piece of cardboard.
Michael the waiter was great, really attentive and polite, top class service, for which he should be commended. Indeed all the staff I encountered we're great.

Final thoughts, good hotel, not luxury, doesn't deserve 4*, but if you're in the city, it's probably your best choice. Just go across the road to Nandos for supper.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you for your recent review.

Its always a pleasure to receive positive and constructive comments.

You will be delighted to know that the ground floor area you describe as beautiful is to get a full refurbishment this year and at the same time bedroom corridors will be done with the design flowing from recpetion to bedroom.

I was disappointed to read the comments regarding dinner as my team get this right almost all of the time. All our food is fresh and the soup is changed and home made daily. The pork, is a belly of pork and there will be no surprises that is the fattiest cut on a pig.

I will share your feedback with the team and in particular Michael as they are a great team who at every possible ocassion try and provide fantastic service to every guest.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon on your next visit to Leicester.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed here for one night on business. The hotel feels quite dated and the rooms would benefit from modernising. That said there was free WiFi in the room which is very important to me, the bath and shower were good with lots of hot water and good water pressure for the shower. All in all my stay was OK

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thank you for your review.

Our hotel was built in Victorian times in the late 1880s and we have recently upgraded our bedroom product. Decorated in three carefully chosen designs to fit in with the age and character of the building, brand new comfortable beds, new chunky duvets and pillows finished off with throws and cushions. Each room a different shape and size giving them a uniqueness which differentiates us from your normal soulless pod you would find in modern hotels these days.

The shower pressure has always been good with constant hot water.

Delighted you found the free wifi a bonus.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at the Leicester Mercure. It is clean, stylish, grand and comfortable. It is right on Granby street, just perfect for my business meetings. The hotel has plenty of parking and the staff were all polite and sensitive to my needs. I stayed for one night on the 28th september 2013. I had a double room. The room is spacious and well decorated. I was impressed with the toiletries that were given. I am a strict vegetarian, so I was impressed by their vast selection of vegetarian items at breakfast. The staff at breakfast were very professional and eager to serve my needs. I would definitely stay again. I wish to give credit to the hotel manager James CONAGHAN, he understood my needs and made my stay as comfortable as possible.

Deepesh K Patel
Director
The London Tutors Ltd

Room Tip: Speak to James
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Deepesh,

Thank you for taking the time to post a really nice review.

It is always a pleasure to read such nice comments regarding the hotel, the room, the cleanliness, the breakfast and not forgetting myself!

We have exciting plans for this year with completely redesigning and revamping our ground floor.

May I take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy New Year.

We look forward to seeing you again during 2014.

With kind regards.

James

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We returned for a second stay for our anniversary having first stayed 3 years ago.

Upon checking in we tried to clarify about parking being free. We
were told that parking was £7 a day as noted on the internet. We
explained that while we had seen this we also knew that we
had not been charged on a previous visit. The receptionist queried
this but said a note would be placed on our file for the checkout
receptionist to view.

Upon checkout the receptionist tried to collect £14 for parking at which
point we explained the above and that there should be a note on our file. There wasn't! It was the last of many errors made. The receptionist did kindly waiver the fee which we appreciated in this instance.

Also, during the first night of our 2-night stay we were woken around
4.45am by a fire alarm and were waiting in the cold for 15minutes. No
explanation or apology was given.

On the morning of our check out my partner and I were getting ready
to depart when very very loud music could be heard- every note and instrument
could be heard- from what we believed to be a live band warming up for an
event. We were awake already but it put paid to enjoying our room right up until
our checkout time.

When we checked in we were told that there were events in the hotel both nights
of our stay. However, I would have appreciated knowing this at the booking stage.
There was lots of noise as these people made their way back to their rooms after
events and a general lack of courtesy from other patrons.

This hotel is in a great location but not a place for sleep which, as an exhausted teacher who had just broken
up for Christmas, was a deal-breaker and why I will instead try the nearby ramada encore or premier inn next time.

• Stayed: December 2013
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Thank you for your post.

There has been a charge for many, many years now and at £7 per night for a city centre hotel in a prime location this is very reasonable and cheaper than most competitor hotels in the city.

All weekends in December are likely to be noisier than other weekends during the year due to extremely popular party nights.

I do hope you understand the fire alarm system is there for the protection and safety of our guest's and if it sounds in the early ours we have to evacuate and wait instruction from the fire officer when we can let people back in to the building.

Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013