“Good hotel that will get better (apparently)”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good hotel that will get better (apparently)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here for one night on business. The hotel is centrally located, has adequate parking facilities and has shops, bars and restaurants to hand. I guess as it was a Sunday night that I wasn't too troubled by noise and there didn't seem to be many guests in residence anyway, so the corridors and communal areas were quiet.
Check was easy and the girl on reception was friendly and informative. I was allocated a room on the fourth floor, which initially I couldn't get into as the key card wasn't working. A quick trip back down to reception resolved that issue.
The room itself was fine. Big bed, plenty of wardrobe space, etc. The bathroom was a bit untidy in terms of hairs in the bath but nothing a splash of water didn't fix.
The blackout curtains together with the lack of noise meant that I had a good nights sleep.
Check out was straight forward enough. Overnight parking is £7 but if you plan on hanging around Leicester after you have checked out, the hotel will duly validate your ticket to reflect this.
Didn't use the restaurant or bar facilities so can't comment on this.
The hotel has subsequently advised they are having a makeover later this year so I would expect to see an update around the rest of the hotel to bring it in line with the reception area

Room Tip: Based on previous comments, a room on a higher floor would perhaps reduce the chance of being distur...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Sean Mc

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are awaiting final designs for our bedroom corridors which we hope to complete in the coming months. Once these are done we move to the ground floor were we aim to create a separate stylish restaurant, new larger bar area, new reception by the front entrance and a chill out area for guests to relax. This is also currently in the designing stages with a view to start this in the summer months.

So your headline is spot on "a good hotel that will get better".

Once again thank you for posting a review and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We decided to stay the night at the Mercure as it is central and cheaper to book then getting the train and taxis home after a night out. We stayed in room 201 which is a large room and very comfortable - no complaints there at all. There was some wear and tear in the bathroom but everywhere was clean. All the staff we encountered were very polite and efficient.

We stayed here last year on a very hot day and the room we stayed in was unbearably hot so we asked for fans to be bought up to us which made things better but still not great and although we are now in Winter, I still noticed that the rooms were still over hot. I appreciate that this is an old building but I wonder if this will be addressed in the future. At least with the room we were staying in this time, we could put up the window in the bathroom!

The 2nd issue was noise - there was a function on in the hotel and our room was literally shaking with the sounds of the disco - we did phone up reception at past midnight to ask when the noise would stop and were told at 1am and to be fair, the person asked if we wanted to be moved but we just wanted to get to sleep and not bother getting up and moving at that hour - the noise did get less loud too and it did stop at 1am but the staff need to consider this when checking people into rooms especially if they know they will be affected by functions! Is there was any sound proofing in these rooms?

Breakfast was obtained at a special rate when we checked in and was tasty and sufficient even though we ate after 10am!

We will certainly consider staying here again if we can obtain a good rate for the night but I was put off by the noise issue.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for posting a review.

We are a popular wedding and event venue and on ocassions some rooms are affected by internal noise. I was delighted to read my team offered to move you room.

The master heating is now controlled by a sensor that detects the temperatue from outside and alters the boiler settings accordingly. But ultimately the heating is controlled by thermostatic radiator valves in the room so guest's can turn up or down depending on their preference.

Thank you for the kind note regarding the team and the bedroom.

Once again thank you for your review and I do hope to see you again soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed over the weekend and had a superior double room. The room was extremely clean....I'd go so far as 'fastidiously' clean. The furniture was a little tired, but modern furniture would be out of place. It seemed to add to the charm! The staff were so friendly and welcoming. Parking is just behind the hotel and there is plenty of space.
The room was cavernous with a more than generous bathroom.
Films came free with our room and had access to some newly released films, which was perfect to chill out on the sofa with some room service in the evening.
The only issue was the wildlife indigenous to the Yates' 'wine bar' opposite. We bore witness to the habits of the greater spotted males as exerted their dominance by way of bellowing, strutting and rutting with lesser males. The females were in abundance in their herds as they shrieked and squawked to signal their availability to mate. I think there may be a link between the shade of orange skin and was plumage and mating availability. Alas, we grew tired of observing nature at it's finest, sadly these rituals went on until the wee hours, so
sleep was somewhat disturbed.
I completed an online survey and voiced the above issue, one that really is not the fault of the hotel, they have installed noise dampening windows. They cannot help who their neighbours are! I was surprised to receive a response from the general manager within minutes apologising for the inconvenience! - hugely impressed.
I would absolutely stay there again, I would perhaps just request a room well away from Yates' watering hole.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for posting such a great review.

If you were impressed I responded to the online survey, you will be even more impressed now as it is the General Manager again!

I was delighted before regarding your comments regarding the cleanliness, the room, the breakfast and the team.

Ok I cannot be responsible for the "nighlife" as you so eloquently put it, however as stated we have installed secondary glazing when sealed shut does drown the noise out.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Stockport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Got a room for £48, a discount from around £90, as part of their winter special offer. Was given one of the sky studio apartments so this is probably a budget room, however I am assuming you can get it for full price. We just used it as a base so I can only comment on the room, not the other facilities. And obviously this is subjective; everyone has different standards etc, but our feeling was that the quality of the room was nowhere near what we'd have expected had we paid the full price.

The things we found:
1) the tv had no subtitles - as I'm deaf this meant I couldn't use the tv :-( (to be fair this seems to be the case in a few hotels since the uk went digital, as the in hotel systems weren't built for digital tv)
2) the free internet is billed as high speed...it's not. So I couldn't watch anything on the iPad. As I wake up a couple of hours before my wife and couldn't watch tv or iPad, I was very bored with nothing to watch!
3) there was no bath mat in the room, so we had to use a towel for a bath mat, we found out later that we could have rung down to Reception for one, but this seems strange, surely it's standard to put a bath mat in all hotel rooms for safety, as it is, I nearly slipped over getting out of the shower
4) there were only one set of towels in view, we couldn't find any other towels and rang reception, only to be told they were in the drawer...we ended up finding a really small drawer in the corner of the room with a set of towels in it...how would we have found this otherwise??
5) the shower was leaky
6) there was no wardrobe, the only thing that looked like a wardrobe was filled with all the amenities like ironing board, hair dryer etc. we found a set of hangers and a small rail stuck in the corner of the room. We didn't hang anything up!
7) the room wasn't that clean, we found a hair on my wife's pillow, and she reported finding pieces of dried fruit on the floor when she walked in, she ended up clearing that up
8) there was only a small hook to hang our wet towels up instead of a flat bar or radiator, so they didn't really get dry
9) our room was very noisy according to my wife (she's not deaf!)
Oh and the shower was a bit smelly, with rust around the bottom of the shower door

The rest of the hotel looked ok but we didn't use it so can't comment. The staff we spoke to seemed friendly enough.

I don't want to seem like the hotel inspector or a really difficult customer, the experience here was fine for what we paid, but next time we will definitely go to a premier inn or travelodge or something as we have stayed in different hotels in Leicester before for the same price as the discounted price here (not as a discount) and the rooms were a bit better than our room here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Thank you for posting a detailed review.

I was glad to see you took advantage of a winter saver offer giving a good discount off our normal rates. These offers can be found on our website and if you book well in advance you can often get the discount you did.

I was disappointed we didn't totally meet your expectations however I was delighted to read my team rectified most of your queries during your stay.

Our wifi is not billed as high speed, the complimentary wifi is simply for emails and browsing. If you want to stream or watch tv then you would need to purchase the high speed option.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

This hotel is located in the centre of the vibrant city of Leicester-it is literally the "Grand Hotel" with it's beautiful Victorian architecture and a gorgeous reception area. This is our third visit to this hotel in the last 4 years( we visit our daughter who is at university in Leicester) and the experience seems to improve each time.

Plus points;- professional friendly staff, location, the overall hotel, relaxation

Minus points:- pricey bar but to be expected within a class hotel and beautiful lounge

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for posting such a great review.

It is always a pleasure to respond to a guest who has stayed with us a few times.

I was delighted to read they each time you stay you have a good experience in our beautiful grade 11 listed Victorian hotel.

You will be pleased to note that we are to further enhance our beautiful building by refurbishing our public areas starting with the bedroom corridors. Once these are complete we move to the ground floor were we aim to create a new separate restaurant, new large bar, new chill out area for guests to relax and new reception area. This will be something Leicester currently doesn't have and we are hoping this will be great for our customers and the city it's self.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed between 18th-20th February 2014, room was massive and bed very comfortable,but annoyingly there were no bedside tables so had to put phones and water on the floor. breakfast was very good and friendly waiter who looked after us both mornings. Bathroom was nice however i could not stand up straight at the sink or in the shower as the celling is to low which made it hard to shower, however i am over 6'8 so maybe i am the one thats to tall.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for posting a review.

I was delighted you had a good stay in one of our "massive rooms" with our new comfortable beds.

We have a few bathrooms were the ceiling is lower than the majority however they are still high enough for the average male.

Once again thank you for posting a review.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

WE stayed here in July 2013 in the Bridal suite, the room was not big, very tacky and the bathroom was the worst, very old Victorian style, taps were dripping and no shower curtains or floor mats, had to ring to get towels.
Staff when we arrived were helpful, but came back during the night after a wedding and the doors were locked, understand its not a safe area.
but the windows in our room were very old wouldn't close, all night we could hear clubbers outside raving and drunkenness. very loud area to stay and not the experience we were looking for.
when we complained about this in the morning, the staff were not bothered, didnt even offer any discount, didn't really take no notice.
the place is in need for a good mdernisation of facilities paint job and a proper working.
Definitely not value for money, dont recommend staying here to anyone.

Room Tip: dont get a room facing the main road. as its too noisy and windows dont shut properly
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for posting a review.

I would question if it was the worst experience ever, why it would take 8 months to post a review and how I didn't hear about it.

We don't have a bridal room, we have 3 or 4 rooms brides prefer and none of them are small. Each one has enough room for a sofa and two chairs, a coffee table, a comfortable bed, new decor, double wardrobe, work space, luggage rack, TV on a dresser, tea/coffee making facility.

I am disappointed by the comment regarding the team, as clearly this is not a normal occurance as previous tripadvisor reviews would suggest. They are helpful, friendly, knowledgeable and polite.

Once again thank you for posting a review.