“Friendly staff in a hotel in desperate need of updating” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
“Friendly staff in a hotel in desperate need of updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is in need of updating. The various rooms I have had are clearly showing signs of age and wear and tear. The rooms have old furniture and bathrooms need modernising. The food in the restaurant could be better and doesn't reflect good value for money. Food generally takes a long while to come out: not only when it's busy. I hate to be so negative as the staff are friendly, courteous and nothing is too much trouble.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

The headline is a general statement and not reflective of all of the hotel. That said we are about to embark on refurbishing our public space, starting with the bedroom corridors, once complete we move to the ground floor were we aim to create a new sytlish restaurant, new large bar, new reception area and a chill out area for guest's to relax.

We have already invested monies in to our bedrooms at the end of last year which are receiving excellent feedback from our regular customers.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding the team as they are very good at what they do and I am glad you recognised this.

Once again thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Overall our experience at this hotel was very good,location suberb,car parking excellent,check in quick and easy,room very clean,our only issues were one the shower not a lot of pressure and leaked onto floor through curtain,two breakfast, poor choice, cold ,wasn't worth the money.
But overall would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David M
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for posting a review.

I was delighted to read your headline "Gem in city centre". We are the most iconic hotel in Leicester with lots of character and history.

I was disappointed to read your comment regarding the shower and breakfast as I can assure you that we have normally not an issue with both.

I was also glad to read the comments regarding check in, the team and the cleanliness.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Kettering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed at the Leicester Grand for a couple of nights on business. The hotel has a great location in the city centre therefore you need to expect some noise from locals and I imagine this would be worse at weekends. Beautiful open reception area and the reception staff were fantastic, very helpful and knowledgeable. My room was spacious and adequate for a couple of nights, had everything I needed. I ate in the bar both evenings and most of the staff there were amazing, very friendly and attentive and lovely people. However on the 2nd night there was a foreign lady working who was arguing with a younger member of staff in front of guests which I thought very unprofessional. The food was lovely, cooked well and bought to my table quite quickly. I had a couple of drinks which were slightly higher priced than I'm used to but hey, it's a 4* hotel in a city centre. All in all it was a lovely stay in a great hotel with great staff (most) marred by 1 individual

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was delighted that you had "a lovely stay in a great hotel with our amazing staff".

The one individual you mention is normally the same as you have described the rest of the team. However I will take time to address the issue raised with her to ensure she provides her normal professionalism.

Once again thank you for you great comments and we look forward to welcomung you back soon.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We visit Leicester often and always stay at the Mercure where the service is always friendly and very good. The rooms are clean and comfortable (we always take a sky studio when available) and the room service menu is more than adequate for our needs. Several of the staff know us by name and Michael in the restaurant always goes out of his way to be helpful.

Room Tip: We like the sky studios
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for posting a nice review.

It is always a pleasure to respond to one of our regular guests.

I was delighted to read the comments regarding the team, service, cleanliness and Michael. As you know the team do try where ever possible to provide great service to all guests.

Once again thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back time and time again.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

What a lovely hotel with fantastic staff that provides excellent service. I stayed in this hotel for business for near enough 3 weeks on and off. A little far from home, but it was so nice to feel so "at home". The hotel is a little out of date, but work is being done and the sky studio apartments do look amazing! The room I stayed in was really nice, although a little out of date like we've all mentioned before, but the same room was kept for me for the duration of my stay! The stay was made 5* by experienced and wonderful staff. From the front desk; Katie/Katherine, Annika to the bar/restaurant staff; Patricia, Michael and the breakfast staff (lady who knew my room number and drink every day, but I didn’t know her name - sorry). All your staff are a credit to your hotel. Thank you for a great stay!!! Definitely staying there again and recommended it to my company to keep! Great location also!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a great review.

I do not believe our rooms are dated, especially we we have invested in new beds in all rooms, new chunky duvets, new pillow, throws, cushions and decor. However I do agree there are some areas of the hotel that do need further investment which we are addressing in the coming months.

Starting with our bedroom corridors with a different design on each floor. Once complete we move to our ground floor were we aim to create a new larger separate restaurant, new bar, new reception and a chill out area for guest's to relax.

I was delighted to read the comments regarding the team and service.

Once again thank you for posting a really positive review.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here for one night on business. The hotel is centrally located, has adequate parking facilities and has shops, bars and restaurants to hand. I guess as it was a Sunday night that I wasn't too troubled by noise and there didn't seem to be many guests in residence anyway, so the corridors and communal areas were quiet.
Check was easy and the girl on reception was friendly and informative. I was allocated a room on the fourth floor, which initially I couldn't get into as the key card wasn't working. A quick trip back down to reception resolved that issue.
The room itself was fine. Big bed, plenty of wardrobe space, etc. The bathroom was a bit untidy in terms of hairs in the bath but nothing a splash of water didn't fix.
The blackout curtains together with the lack of noise meant that I had a good nights sleep.
Check out was straight forward enough. Overnight parking is £7 but if you plan on hanging around Leicester after you have checked out, the hotel will duly validate your ticket to reflect this.
Didn't use the restaurant or bar facilities so can't comment on this.
The hotel has subsequently advised they are having a makeover later this year so I would expect to see an update around the rest of the hotel to bring it in line with the reception area

Room Tip: Based on previous comments, a room on a higher floor would perhaps reduce the chance of being distur...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Sean Mc

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are awaiting final designs for our bedroom corridors which we hope to complete in the coming months. Once these are done we move to the ground floor were we aim to create a separate stylish restaurant, new larger bar area, new reception by the front entrance and a chill out area for guests to relax. This is also currently in the designing stages with a view to start this in the summer months.

So your headline is spot on "a good hotel that will get better".

Once again thank you for posting a review and we hope to see you again soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We decided to stay the night at the Mercure as it is central and cheaper to book then getting the train and taxis home after a night out. We stayed in room 201 which is a large room and very comfortable - no complaints there at all. There was some wear and tear in the bathroom but everywhere was clean. All the staff we encountered were very polite and efficient.

We stayed here last year on a very hot day and the room we stayed in was unbearably hot so we asked for fans to be bought up to us which made things better but still not great and although we are now in Winter, I still noticed that the rooms were still over hot. I appreciate that this is an old building but I wonder if this will be addressed in the future. At least with the room we were staying in this time, we could put up the window in the bathroom!

The 2nd issue was noise - there was a function on in the hotel and our room was literally shaking with the sounds of the disco - we did phone up reception at past midnight to ask when the noise would stop and were told at 1am and to be fair, the person asked if we wanted to be moved but we just wanted to get to sleep and not bother getting up and moving at that hour - the noise did get less loud too and it did stop at 1am but the staff need to consider this when checking people into rooms especially if they know they will be affected by functions! Is there was any sound proofing in these rooms?

Breakfast was obtained at a special rate when we checked in and was tasty and sufficient even though we ate after 10am!

We will certainly consider staying here again if we can obtain a good rate for the night but I was put off by the noise issue.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for posting a review.

We are a popular wedding and event venue and on ocassions some rooms are affected by internal noise. I was delighted to read my team offered to move you room.

The master heating is now controlled by a sensor that detects the temperatue from outside and alters the boiler settings accordingly. But ultimately the heating is controlled by thermostatic radiator valves in the room so guest's can turn up or down depending on their preference.

Thank you for the kind note regarding the team and the bedroom.

Once again thank you for your review and I do hope to see you again soon.