“Excellent Events Venue”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #26 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We hosted our Annual Ball here at Mercure and had a wonderful time. Keeping 130 people happy was no mean feat however the staff rose to the challenge and everything ran smoothly. We had a delicious three course meal accompanied by some very drinkable wine! Our DJ then provided a great disco and end to the night. The service throughout was excellent and I would recommend this venue to any events organiser!

Room Tip: N/A - We did not stay over.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you so much for posting such a great review

We are one of the most popular event venues in Leicester. Our beautiful Victorian Ball Room the Kings Hall is the best setting in the city for holding any event whether it be a large conference, wedding, party or in your case a department ball.

I was delighted to read my team looked after you in our normal way.

Once again thank you for such a kind review and we look forward to seeing you again next year where I am confident you will receive the same level of food and service.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Mercure have clearly started a renovation project here. To be clear there are no signs of it but hats off to them in taking a traditional hotel and putting some oomph into moving it to the 21st century. Staff were attentive and courteous, parking £7 was reasonable for secure town centre parking. I would agree that £10 for breakfast is steep but they hey thats hotel chains for you. I'll take the managers word that it is a good product but my observation was that the restaurant look clean and what people were eating looked good. Didn't try myself as the free wifi meant i could action a shed load of emails in my room. Good nights sleep.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank plaistowboy
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a good review.

We are in the process of upgrading our beautiful Victorian Grade 11 listed building. We started last year with our bedrooms, we start our bedroom corridors in the coming weeks and having seen the design it will be stunning. Once complete we move to the ground floor.

I was delighted to read your headline "good clean hotel in a central location" that is what we and most of our guests believe.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon on your next visit to Leicester.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed at The Grand on a recent visit to Leicester. It's right in the City Centre so wonderfully convenient and there is plenty of parking at a good rate for guests. I got a fantastic deal by booking well in advance (without breakfast). Friendly and helpful staff, comfortable rooms - no complaints at all. I hate hotel breakfasts which are generally over priced and poor quality and The Grand is no different. They wanted £10 for what looked like over cooked, average fayre, no thanks. Being right in the centre meant we could easily find somewhere decent.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that doesn't overlook the front - like all cities, a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Shirley M, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for posting a review.

I thank you for your positive comments, however, l think it was a little unfair to comment on the quality and service of our breakfast when you did'nt actually take breakfast with us. As you will see from many of our previous reviews we pride ourselves on the breakfast we provide at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here for 1 night on Friday 11th April on route to Newark - easy to find , good parking, very central to shops & restaurants.

Hotel was a bit tired looking, could do with some new carpets in the halls, lift a bit small and clanky - room was a good size bed was good and comfy - no fridge which would have been good plus complimentary bottle of water. bathroom was a bit odd as bath and sink at back of a large space, could have been used for storage or a vanity cabinet/mirrors. - Dislike of shower curtains that stick to you whilst showering - towels a bit knackered and old/hard.

Reception staff very friendly and professional, check in was very fast - was expecting us - card key didnt work!
Gave good advice for eating out and recommendations on shopping.

Bar staff a bit slow, one was a bit deaf or didnt speak English not sure which, could have done with bar stools at the bar, didnt make us want to spend time sitting there and drink.

Breakfast was good, could be a bit later on Saturday - till 11am - where breakfast was laid out was a bit grubby could have done with a wipe over - food was good and hot - water container was empty, and juices were not replenished! -felt welcome - nice dinning room. same deaf/young man as on the bar serving - other lady was good a nd efficient.

Room was boiling hot at night, no aircon so had to open windows

Overall good hotel, brilliant location, opposite Nandos and Candy Stripe Bar (handy for last drink at night)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Shirley M, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review.

I have shared all your instructive comments with the hotel team which l thank you for.

We are about to start a refurbishment to our public areas in the hotel, which will cover some of what you have hilighted. Our next project will be some of our bathrooms, so working progress.
The gentleman you mentioned is in fact Spanish but can speak limited English, my apologies for his disregard to you, he is usually very friendly.

Thank you again for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I had a one night midweek stop in this hotel having come up from four nights in a beautiful hotel in Brighton for which I paid less than this hotel per night. I arrived to see an impressive exterior and reception, however for the nightly tariff, I arrived in a very average looking room, a little on the tired side and a bathroom that has a strange smell. I felt if I had paid less I would have been happy.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul T
GeneralManager012, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I am sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations, which is very disappointing for all the team.
However, the 'Grand' is being refurbished in the summer which is very exciting for all the team and l do hope we can welcome you back to share this with you.

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is really nice, literally a 2 min walk from Leicester train station.

I requested early check in at 1pm which was accomadated and the receptionist was really friendly and helpful.

Room was good and had everything I needed, I cant comment on the food as I found it to be expensive, but there is a Subway next door, Nandos opposite and a Tesco Express down the road.

I would defo stay here again, no problems at all.

• Stayed: February 2014
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a great review.

I will share with the team as I am sure this will serve all to continuously improve our service.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future where I am confident you will receive the same high level of comfort and care.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I have stayed regularly in the Grand Hotel on business over a period of 6-7 months, and in roughly after over a hundred nights of staying there, I have never had a problem with any room, food, the staff or check in... So that speaks for itself !! Check-in is always quick with the very pleasant staff at reception, rooms are always clean, fresh and warm, breakfast buffet is very good value, and any amount of it !! and the dinner is great also. The hotel is centrally located with car parking and close to everything. After staying in most of the hotels in leicester, and for the price of a nights stay there, I don't think you will beat the Grand Hotel for value. I am looking forward to my next visit !!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Paddy W
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a great review.

I was delighted to read the comments regarding the team, the food, the cleanliness and of course our perfect location. It is always a pleasure to read such nice comments from a regular visitor.

I will share with the team as I am sure this will encourage all to continuously improve our service.

Once again thank you for the kind feedback and we lookn forward to seeing you again soon where I am confident you will receive our normal high level of customer care.