“Frequent business trips”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #26 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I and my colleagues stayed here at least one or 2 nights a month for 2013, we have stayed again just recently, 28th April 2014 and everything's just as brilliant, can you think of another hotel outside of London that remembers, that you need an extra duvet because your husband is at home and you feel the cold and you don't like making tea in a mug, so they always put a teapot in my room, the staff always remember, how fabulous is that! The hotel is
clean, staff can't do enough to make your stay as comfort as possible and very good food. We have stayed in many different hotel's in Leicester until we found The Grand. Grand by name and Grand by nature. Thank you for your very high standards and for making a lady traveller away from home feel safe, scure and totally relaxed.

Room Tip: Just ask reception for your required needs.
1  Thank hillylew212
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post such a fantastic review.

It is always a pleasure to hear from regular visitors.

It is even more pleasurable to hear that my team are providing you and your colleagues with their normal high level of comfort and care.

Thank you for the tip for fellow travellers, if my team know prior our during a guest's stay of any special requirements they will always try and adhere to this.

Once again thank you for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Recently spent 1 night here in April, booked quite late via booking.com for £62.

This building is fantastic and I think that renovation work has been great, the hotel is looking top notch in my opinion.

We arrived on the train and walked down from the station, no more than a 10 min walk. We only had 1 small bag and as we arrived early on in the day, we left it at reception having checked in and the lady (Katherine?) said she'd pop it up to our room when it was ready - it was there when we came back later that night.

We had a room on the back of the building - tastefully redecorated in period colours (the only way to go in this building) with all the usual extras (tea, coffee, TV and the like). Whilst the room wasn't that big, it was perfectly adequate and the bed was very comfortable. The windows open so you can have fresh air and there was some city noise but I slept straight through the night.

Bathroom was also clean and freshly decorated. Decent towels and basic toiletries.

The hotel served buffet breakfast but we both went for items on the menu, I had the smoked haddock with the poached egg and it was delicious.

We were staying for the Tigers match - you can walk to the ground from the hotel but it is quite a way. The hotel is well placed for shops and restaurants / bars in the city centre.

I'd like to mention both the reception staff and the waiters/waitresses as the service was excellent at all times.

We also had a quick explore around the building on Sunday morning, it is worth a photo or to as some of the rooms / staircases are beautiful.

I'd happily stay here again and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a great review.

You are one of many Tigers fans who stay with us when they are at home. Lets hope they get a home tie in the play offs!

We upgraded our bedrooms last year and we are about to invest some more into our beautiful Grade 11 hotel. We are starting with our bedroom corridors with a real thoughful design for the carpet. Incorporating parts of the building with in the carpet which is something we are hoping will create a talking point. Once the corridors are complete we move to the ground floor were we are creating a new restaurant which will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, new separate bar where reception is, a new reception area opposite the lift, a chill out area for guest's to relax and finally a new small gym for guest's only.

I was delighted to read the comments regarding the team and particularly the front office girls, breakfast team and the breakfast chef who provided you with an excellent meal.

Once again thank you for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We hosted our Annual Ball here at Mercure and had a wonderful time. Keeping 130 people happy was no mean feat however the staff rose to the challenge and everything ran smoothly. We had a delicious three course meal accompanied by some very drinkable wine! Our DJ then provided a great disco and end to the night. The service throughout was excellent and I would recommend this venue to any events organiser!

Room Tip: N/A - We did not stay over.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you so much for posting such a great review

We are one of the most popular event venues in Leicester. Our beautiful Victorian Ball Room the Kings Hall is the best setting in the city for holding any event whether it be a large conference, wedding, party or in your case a department ball.

I was delighted to read my team looked after you in our normal way.

Once again thank you for such a kind review and we look forward to seeing you again next year where I am confident you will receive the same level of food and service.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Mercure have clearly started a renovation project here. To be clear there are no signs of it but hats off to them in taking a traditional hotel and putting some oomph into moving it to the 21st century. Staff were attentive and courteous, parking £7 was reasonable for secure town centre parking. I would agree that £10 for breakfast is steep but they hey thats hotel chains for you. I'll take the managers word that it is a good product but my observation was that the restaurant look clean and what people were eating looked good. Didn't try myself as the free wifi meant i could action a shed load of emails in my room. Good nights sleep.

1  Thank plaistowboy
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a good review.

We are in the process of upgrading our beautiful Victorian Grade 11 listed building. We started last year with our bedrooms, we start our bedroom corridors in the coming weeks and having seen the design it will be stunning. Once complete we move to the ground floor.

I was delighted to read your headline "good clean hotel in a central location" that is what we and most of our guests believe.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon on your next visit to Leicester.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed at The Grand on a recent visit to Leicester. It's right in the City Centre so wonderfully convenient and there is plenty of parking at a good rate for guests. I got a fantastic deal by booking well in advance (without breakfast). Friendly and helpful staff, comfortable rooms - no complaints at all. I hate hotel breakfasts which are generally over priced and poor quality and The Grand is no different. They wanted £10 for what looked like over cooked, average fayre, no thanks. Being right in the centre meant we could easily find somewhere decent.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that doesn't overlook the front - like all cities, a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Shirley M, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for posting a review.

I thank you for your positive comments, however, l think it was a little unfair to comment on the quality and service of our breakfast when you did'nt actually take breakfast with us. As you will see from many of our previous reviews we pride ourselves on the breakfast we provide at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here for 1 night on Friday 11th April on route to Newark - easy to find , good parking, very central to shops & restaurants.

Hotel was a bit tired looking, could do with some new carpets in the halls, lift a bit small and clanky - room was a good size bed was good and comfy - no fridge which would have been good plus complimentary bottle of water. bathroom was a bit odd as bath and sink at back of a large space, could have been used for storage or a vanity cabinet/mirrors. - Dislike of shower curtains that stick to you whilst showering - towels a bit knackered and old/hard.

Reception staff very friendly and professional, check in was very fast - was expecting us - card key didnt work!
Gave good advice for eating out and recommendations on shopping.

Bar staff a bit slow, one was a bit deaf or didnt speak English not sure which, could have done with bar stools at the bar, didnt make us want to spend time sitting there and drink.

Breakfast was good, could be a bit later on Saturday - till 11am - where breakfast was laid out was a bit grubby could have done with a wipe over - food was good and hot - water container was empty, and juices were not replenished! -felt welcome - nice dinning room. same deaf/young man as on the bar serving - other lady was good a nd efficient.

Room was boiling hot at night, no aircon so had to open windows

Overall good hotel, brilliant location, opposite Nandos and Candy Stripe Bar (handy for last drink at night)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Shirley M, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review.

I have shared all your instructive comments with the hotel team which l thank you for.

We are about to start a refurbishment to our public areas in the hotel, which will cover some of what you have hilighted. Our next project will be some of our bathrooms, so working progress.
The gentleman you mentioned is in fact Spanish but can speak limited English, my apologies for his disregard to you, he is usually very friendly.

Thank you again for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I had a one night midweek stop in this hotel having come up from four nights in a beautiful hotel in Brighton for which I paid less than this hotel per night. I arrived to see an impressive exterior and reception, however for the nightly tariff, I arrived in a very average looking room, a little on the tired side and a bathroom that has a strange smell. I felt if I had paid less I would have been happy.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul T
GeneralManager012, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I am sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations, which is very disappointing for all the team.
However, the 'Grand' is being refurbished in the summer which is very exciting for all the team and l do hope we can welcome you back to share this with you.