“Very tired hotel - lifted by good customer service!”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #26 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel at the weekend, for a one night stay, priced at around £125. Upon check-in, we were asked if we would like to settle the cost up-front, which is rather unusual when paying this price, but we went with it. When we reached our room on the top floor, we were surprised to find that the room smelt strongly of cigarette smoke. I called the reception and was told that our room could be changed, but that the replacement room would be smaller, as the hotel was fully booked and nearly all guests had arrived. When asked to, the receptionist spoke with the duty manager and offered a £30 reduction, 2 free breakfasts and parking free of charge. Our new room was very small (we had been warned!) but the gesture made up for it. I would say though that the bathroom was extremely shabby, with mildewed grout and a general air of grubbiness round taps and fixtures etc, but hopefully the refurbishment plan should address some of this. Refurbishment of corridors, carpets and hallway fittings is also long overdue. My partner and I were very pleased with how swiftly our complaint was dealt with though, and this ensured that our stay was not spoiled.

In summary, once the renovation is complete, this hotel will be fantastic! cosmetic shortfalls can be addressed, but staff attitude is something that's far harder to get right, and the staff here are a credit to the company.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mintcake80
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive yet constructive review.

I do not believe we are "very tired". There are certain areas that do need a litlle investment and as you seen during your stay, our bedroom corridors have already started. We have carefully chosen a design for all our bedroom corridors incorporating photo shots of the building within the carpet, beautiful colour scheme for the walls and doors and art work that is everything Leicester and Leicestershire with a few famous people like Churchill who satyed here. Once this is complete we move to the ground floor which again has been carefully considered due to the age and character of the building. We are creating a stylish area for guest's to eat, drink, meet or relax. A new larger restaurant has been designed that will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, new bar where reception currently is, new reception opposite the lift, a chill out area for guest's to relax and a small fitness room.

As you say this will be "fantastic" for all when complete.

I was delighted to read once you informed my team regarding the issue you encountered it was dealt with swiftly and to your satisfaction.

I do hope you will have the opportunity to return very soon.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My first impressions upon reaching the hotel was something of amazement. The architecture was mesmerising and I was geniunely impressed right away. Check in was also very smooth and fast.

I stayed here for three nights in order to visit my other half but I was rather let down upon entering my room (302). It was very small with very little room to move around the bed. It didn't help matters when I realised that my TV was also rather useless as it had a poor picture on the bottom half of the screen which consisted of a lot of artifacts/break ups, most likely due to either poor signal or the digital box behind the TV itself being faulty. This was not a major problem as I had planned to spend most of the weekend with my other half in town but attempting to watch a key world cup game late at night was a tad annoying.

I expressed my feedback in a recent Mercure survey and the General Manager wrote to me immediately to apologise and state that the room refurbishment programme had begun from the 16th June. He did state that I could have been allocated a larger room had I spoken to reception. He offered to allocate me a better room when I am to next visit Leicester, which was a lovely gesture overall.

The bed itself was extremely comfortable, the best I've had amongst the hotels in the city and there were enough pillows to hand for me to construct a pillow fort. This is a good thing.

I had ordered room service and my selection of food arrived quite fast and was very tasty so top marks there. In addition the receptionist, whose name eludes me at this time was most helpful when I managed to get myself locked out of my room and supplied me quickly with another key card. The following day my key card refused to work when attempting to get into my room and Katie in reception resolved this very fast. Thank you :)

Overall my experience at the Grand Hotel was 'ok' and for a building as old as it is, it is in remarkably stunning condition.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Darren R
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Darren

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

You will be delighted to note it is me the General Manager responding again! We take any feedback seriously at Mercure Leicester, The Grand Hotel. Whether that be positive or negative as we believe that hearing from customers who offer constructive comments we can continuously strive for perfection.

Once again thank you for your post and I look forward to hearing from you when you return to Leicester.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our party stayed at the weekend and could not fault the hotel. Our room was extremely spacious and very clean. The location was perfect for our party to go out in the evening. The staff were very attentive and helpful, special praise must go to the young bar man for whom nothing was too much trouble and the helpful and friendly receptionist who checked us out on sunday. thank you for a very pleasant stay at such a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2014
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Manda S

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a great review.

We constantly strive to offer great service and to be value for money. Therefore I was delighted to read that you found the hotel to be just that - clean and spacious, the team helpful and attentive, in a great location and at a good price.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon where I am confident you will receive the same level of comfort and care.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I found reception staff very friendly and helpful, hotel in need of refurbishment and also rooms.The rooms were clean but not the windows which were filthy.
The restaurant on the second night was in total disarray none knew who ordered what and infact one chicken meal was undercooked. We complained and another meal arrived but again was not cooked through, one starter did not arrive at all and we had to request the deserts which also didnt arrive.We made complaints which were dealt with quickly by the manager who also refunded the cost of one meal
Apart from the above I did enjoy the stay and would go again, hoping our comlaints had improved things

Room Tip: Well placed in town centre, easy to find and good for short stay
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Joan

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive and constructive feedback.

In relation to the chicken, our chef would not have let an undercooked chicken leave his kitchen. All our hot food is probed to the correct temperature and the chicken received was noted above the acquired temperature. I was delighted to note the team dealt with it swiftly.

You will be delighted to note our bedroom corridor refurbishment has started this morning 16th June. There has been a lot of thought and care gone into the design of these areas and when you return at the end of this month you will see the start of this.

Thank you for the kind words regarding the cleanliness and the the reception team.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I booked this hotel for a small hen party and was so impressed with the level of service received. Paul from events was very helpful and accommodating, as were all the staff we encountered, particularly the young barman for which nothing was too much trouble. We booked our rooms months in advance at a very competitive price so our expectation of the actual hotel wasn't too high. However we were extremely pleased with the location, facilities, size and cleanliness of the rooms. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Christine

Thank you for your kind review.

As with most comments on Tripadvisor my team do a sterling job. I was delighted to read Paul found you and area for you and your party to get together before dinner.

I was also please you found us perfectly located, good facilities, good size rooms and very clean.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

An old Ramada property before Mercure bought them all, this is a grand old big building, carpeted and fitted with wooden embellishments everywhere you turn. It comes with the old style wooden sash windows, bathrooms and walls you'd expect.

They've loads of rooms, but they're still charging at higher end hotel prices despite no sign of a redecoration in twenty years. It was the first time I'd found a hotel chain still charging top money for an actual single bed in as long as I can remember.

It's not dirty, they weren't grumpy, but there really are nicer options for the same or less money.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

After upgrading our bedrooms at the latter part of 2013, you will be delighted to note that we are continuing to invest in our beautiful grade 11 listed Victorian hotel. Starting with our bedroom corridors on Monday of this week. Once complete we move to the ground floor where we are creating a place for people to meet, drink and eat in real up market stylish design.

There has been a considerable amount of planning and thought gone into every single detail and I do hope we will have the pleasure of showing this to you on your next stay.

Once again thank you for your comprehensive review.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed for one night only, Rooms tired, staff on reception friendly but did not ask how was your stay on departure? Conference facitities ok. Evening meal was the worst I have ever had! Seven or our party odered the same dish, the Lamb. It was Inedible! As tough as your old boots, most of or party left all the lamb other left attempts of chewing on their plates! All of us told the staff that it was terrible, the guy that looked like the manager just completly ignored us! We asked to see the duty manager but apparently there wasn't one? Our complaint would be dealt with in the morning. It was not. The manager in the restaurant is not doing his job, he should follow up on 7 plates with untouched meat and complaints from all there dinners. And the chef should no be serving meat of this poor quality. Breakfast was ok and most the younger staff were very nice, get rid of the older ones who ignore their customers and put the young ones in charge,

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Shirley M, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

It is with regret and disappointment to read your review.
However,we have recently injected a lot of money back into our bedrooms, which is an ongoing project and will be completed within the next month, l am sorry your room did not exceed your expectations.
The hotel has a guest care manager on duty 24hrs a day as dealing with all guest comments/queries is very important to all the team here.
The feedback from your party regarding the quality of the lamb was discussed with the chef, after your meal and consequently with the supplier. Alternative meals were offered to some of your party but declined in favour of a drink.
The General Manager was on duty from 8am on the day of your departure and would have been more than happy to discuss anything with you or your party had he been asked to do so.
Thank you for your review, which will be shared with all of the hotel team, to ensure our quality and service is consistent and 4 star standard.