“Great weekend spoiled.”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel with a tour group going to the British Grand Prix. The weekend was splendid except for this establishment, would never consider staying there again. Terrible service and mediocre food. The staff were pleasant enough but clueless, due I think to a lack of management.
Our group (some 33 persons) were treated like 2nd class citizens, directed to a 'dungeon' for our evening repast with the worst service I have ever experienced. How can it possibly take over 2 hours to serve 33 people from a table-de-hote menu - a choice from 3 starters, 3 main courses and 3 desserts? N. B. some starters were cold, so only needed plated, and soup which surely was ready to serve from a pot. Similarly some stew-like offering must have been ready to dish up. Two of my meals had 'new' baby potatoes as a side, well maybe they were new at some stage, but not when i got them or possibly, likely, they were pre-cooked then microwaved.
I do not believe that over the weekend there was not a chef anywhere near the kitchen. There was no visible sign of anyone else, outside of our group eating there. Also their prices for drinks is outrageous. no real surprise that the bar was devoid of customers. We absconded to a local hostelry after our 1st night! The place had the ambience of a funeral parlour - no that's not fair, it was worse than that.
The rooms are comfortable but have tiny bathrooms and can be very noisy if there is afunction on.
Mecure Group Management need to investigate how this establishment is being managed and address the issues.
My advice, until there is a complete shake-up with the running of this hotel, AVOID IT!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on the 'quiet' side of the building, but double check it as staff d...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Grytpype
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. Please may i express my sincere apologies.

Your first night dinner was not helped by the fact we has an ETA for your group of 7pm and you never even arrived to the restaurant until 9.15pm.

I can assure you we try and provide great service to every guest and what you experienced is not indicative of the normal high service almost every guest receives in our hotel.

We have also started our public area refurbishment and the restaurant in the basement which is normally only used for breakfast will not be used as we create a stylish restaurant on the ground floor, alongside a stylish bar, reception and chill out area.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we do hope to see you again where I am confident my team will provide their normal high level of service.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed one night here whilst attending a conference (also held in the hotel). Everything was seamless and as it should be. The staff, front the reception desk to the food serving staff were brilliant - friendly, helpful and accommodating. The building itself has some beautiful rooms for functions.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review.

It is always a pleasure to respond to a review that details how helpful, friendly and efficient the team are.

I was delighted to read that everything was seamless as it should be.

We have got some fantastic conference and event rooms. From our beautiful Victorian ball room the Kings Hall to our modern boardroom the Bradgate. You will find we have a room that caters for everybodies requirement whether it be a large wedding, party, conference or small meeting.

Once again thank you for posting a great review.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I recently helped organise an event at this hotel and from the time we contacted them to the time we left the experience we had was amazing. The venue was excellent and the staff couldn't do enough for us. The buffet was very good and when we asked for more juice etc for the crèche there was no problem as the staff were more than willing to help.

We stayed the night before and had dinner for 23 people (despite me having to change the numbers almost hourly there was no complaint from the Events Organiser Paul) they put us into a private room and as we pre ordered the food there was no wait and the quality was very good. The only complaint I have is that it was very noisy but there was an event going on in the main ball room for the local university so that's not really down to the hotel.

The event went off with no problem and Paul who I had only spoken to on the telephone who was off that day called in to see if everything was ok and to meet me - that really impressed me. I would recommend this hotel for meetings and events as I cant speak highly enough of the staff and their organisation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a great review.

We are very popular conference and event hotel for up to 400 people and customers keep returning because of the service we provide and the beautiful Victorian setting that is the Kings Hall. I was delighted to read Paul and his team looked after you in their normal caring way.

Once again thank you for your review and if you are in the Leicester area soon please contact Paul and I am confident you will receive the same level of service and attention to detail.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed one night due to attending an event in central Leicester. For me the location was perfect, and car parking was handy and secure - very useful.

I found 2 of Front desk staff rude, short mannered and obnoxious. When I asked for clarity on details regarding some of the facilities the response I got was I felt rude and patronising. It shouldn't take a customer to point out to you that things which may be obvious to you because you work at the hotel may not be obvious to a guest visiting for the first time. It is your job to make the guest feel welcome and be helpful. This is customer service basics for beginners. Staff on the front desk of a 4 star hotel should be much better than this! The 3rd member of the team I met when I checked out was much better and more in line with the service you would expect.

The decor is very outdated and tired. Furniture and doors in my room were damaged and chipped. The bathroom had a wood finish straight out of 1972. And What 4 star hotel doesn't have air con in 2014?

Not grand at all. I'd recommend you look elsewhere in Leicester

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank NPW7920
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was disapointed to read your comments regarding my front office team. Please may I express my sincere apologies.

If you look at nearly every Tripadvisor review, if there is one thing my front office team are good at is looking after guest's. Most comments state how professional, polite, helpful and friendly they are. They have also won the customer service award for the past two years at our company awards therefore what you experienced is certainly not indictative of the normal high standard of service the team provide.

Interestingly the organiser of the event you attended has already emailed direct to state how fantastic our team where at the hotel from start to finish.

You would have also noted when you stayed with us that we are currently investing into our beautiful Grade 11 listed Victorian building (which we cannot fit air con due to regulation guidelines). This will be fantastic for us and more importantly for you as a customer. With a complete new look and stylish fel.

If you are in Leicester again please drop myself an email direct and I will personally make the necessary arrangements to ensure a pleasant stay.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed her for 3 weeks in March/April and I can honestly say we felt like celebrities. Above everything else, the staff were A*** and could not do enough to help us and make everything just so. I am disabled and needed a lot of help and everything I needed was there. I can honestly say, the service was the best I have received anywhere in the world, and I have travelled extensively. The room we had was huge with a walk in wet room - but it is important you ask for this when booking as I understand the other disabled rooms are not as large. The hotel itself is stunning in its Victorian charm, and whilst some parts of the hotel need an upgrade I understand this is due any time now. The food in the restaurant was wonderful, always piping hot and served beautifully, although the menu could be a bit more extensive. There is only one lift, which hopefully will be resolved with the makeover, but I could get my reasonably large electric scooter in there no problems. As a disabled guest the only problem I really had was with the outer doors, the first set are not automatic so I had to buzz a bell every time for help, but someone was there in seconds. Friday night was a little noisy due to a party in a local bar, but it is right in the centre of the city, so that is to be expected- and by midnight was calm again. A swimming pool would have been lovely, but otherwise, AAAAA. Seriously, we had a fabulous time and my 16 yr old daughter did not want to go home. Thank you everyone, especially Jose, Patrica, Lewis, all the restaurant, front of house staff, housekeeping and the handyman :-). You all went out of your way to ensure we were comfortable and felt VERY special Thank you.

Room Tip: If you want a good disabled room ask for the turret room as I understand the other disabled rooms ar...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for posting such a kind review.

As per most tripadvisor comments my team do excel in looking after guest's. I was particularly delighted they did this for the whole 3 weeks you were with us.

I was also glad to read you found the food and staff in the restaurant both at breakfast and dinner to be excellent.

Once again thank you for such a kind review and it makes all the hard work and effort worth while when we make someone feel special.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I rang to make a booking for this hotel and the receptionist said she couldn't talk to me because she had a guest to sort out and put the phone down.... how rude, needless to say I won't being staying there.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

We have an automated phone system that clearly tells you - "press 1 for bedroom reservations"; 2 for conference...." and for all other enquiries press "0". You have not followed the clear instructions and pressed "0" to make a bedroom booking instead of "1". Otherwise you would not have come through to our reception. They do not take bedroom reservations on reception however they would have transferred you straight to reservations.

My Reception team are far from "rude". In fact they won "Customer Service" award for our company in 2013 and have carried this through to 2014 with fantastic feedback on Tripadvisor and our own internal survey that is sent to every guest after staying with us.

If you would like to make a bedroom reservation please follow the simple instructions when making the call or alternatively drop us an email to sales.mercureleicester@jupiterhotels.co.uk and our really helpful team will make the necessary arrangements.

Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel at the weekend, for a one night stay, priced at around £125. Upon check-in, we were asked if we would like to settle the cost up-front, which is rather unusual when paying this price, but we went with it. When we reached our room on the top floor, we were surprised to find that the room smelt strongly of cigarette smoke. I called the reception and was told that our room could be changed, but that the replacement room would be smaller, as the hotel was fully booked and nearly all guests had arrived. When asked to, the receptionist spoke with the duty manager and offered a £30 reduction, 2 free breakfasts and parking free of charge. Our new room was very small (we had been warned!) but the gesture made up for it. I would say though that the bathroom was extremely shabby, with mildewed grout and a general air of grubbiness round taps and fixtures etc, but hopefully the refurbishment plan should address some of this. Refurbishment of corridors, carpets and hallway fittings is also long overdue. My partner and I were very pleased with how swiftly our complaint was dealt with though, and this ensured that our stay was not spoiled.

In summary, once the renovation is complete, this hotel will be fantastic! cosmetic shortfalls can be addressed, but staff attitude is something that's far harder to get right, and the staff here are a credit to the company.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mintcake80
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive yet constructive review.

I do not believe we are "very tired". There are certain areas that do need a litlle investment and as you seen during your stay, our bedroom corridors have already started. We have carefully chosen a design for all our bedroom corridors incorporating photo shots of the building within the carpet, beautiful colour scheme for the walls and doors and art work that is everything Leicester and Leicestershire with a few famous people like Churchill who satyed here. Once this is complete we move to the ground floor which again has been carefully considered due to the age and character of the building. We are creating a stylish area for guest's to eat, drink, meet or relax. A new larger restaurant has been designed that will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, new bar where reception currently is, new reception opposite the lift, a chill out area for guest's to relax and a small fitness room.

As you say this will be "fantastic" for all when complete.

I was delighted to read once you informed my team regarding the issue you encountered it was dealt with swiftly and to your satisfaction.

I do hope you will have the opportunity to return very soon.