I had booked three rooms as we were at a wedding reception at the Grand. Having read some very negative reviews in Trip Advisor recently I was very concerned and seriously considered booking elsewhere. I am really glad that I did not!
I contacted the hotel in advance as one of the rooms was for my elderly parents who have mobility problems. They organised quiet rooms, close together and with fans in when we arrived. They also reserved disabled parking for us. They could not have been more helpful.
Yes the hotel is tired, but is clearly receiving some much needed TLC - which was the only reason that I did not rate it as excellent. However, there are comfortable public areas to sit in with lots of history and character which are great for 'down time.'
The staff were friendly and efficient throughout our stay. If you needed anything, somebody was always there to help - we received great service which is often sadly missing from more modern hotels.
The rooms were fine, all very different and very clean with comfortable beds. I would never normally consider a hotel room without air con however, with the fans we were fine. It was good to have rooms with a bit of character rather than the sterility of some hotels (and to be honest air con rarely works properly in hotels anyway!)
The staff at breakfast deserve a special mention, so friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was a fine, a small hot buffet which was regularly replenished as well as cold choices. We were able to book a large table to have a family breakfast, there was no pressure to move away and they kept the coffee flowing!
As previously mentioned we stayed to attend a wedding. The reception was very good, the food was of a good standard, efficiently served and hot. I would not hesitate to recommend as a wedding venue, and based on previous reviews I did not expect to say that - but am delighted to be able to!
The room rates for this hotel are very reasonable, it has a great location and great character and service. Taking all of this into account I feel that it represents very good value for money.
Well done, and thank you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Choose Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, where Victorian charm meets modern comfort in Leicester city centre. Enjoy a fabulous meal at Marco's New York Italian, our onsite restaurant by prestigious celebrity chef Marco Pierre White, or relax in the bar and lounge and catch up with friends over a cocktail or two. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, ACCOR, Priceline, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Leicester Hotel Leicester
- Ramada Leicester
- Leicester Ramada
- Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel Leicestershire