“Regency: The Naked Profiteers”
Review of Regency Hotel

Regency Hotel
Ranked #32 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I have been travelling to Leicester for the last 3 1/2 years, staying on average one night per week. Because of its convenience I have stayed at the Regency rather a lot, and have had the opportunity to work out the ground rules in this quirky place. In other words the good bedrooms, avoiding eating there (awful experieces) and so forth. I also thought I knew all the staff pretty well too. I guess I have spent over £7k staying there, with the balance at other hotels that take my fancy. I view myself as a loyal and long-term customer. Which counts for diddly squat....

Imagine my horror, when cancelling a booking at short and unavoidable notice, that they insisted in charging me for the room as a "cancellation charge". When I asked to speak to the manager to complain, she curtly explained that she was the manager. I e-mailed them both through their website and and also personally. Absolutely no dice - the invoice arrived this morning.

None of this would be so bad if it were chargeable expenses - but as a sole trader this directly hits my pocket. Plus the fact that I know for a certain fact that they are very rarely full, so charging the room fee for cancellation is nothing more than naked profiteering.

So much for customer loyalty - they will not get another penny of my business again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank sawyers2000
regencyvik, Owner at Regency Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2011

I was very saddened to have read your review Mr Sawyers. Your custom has been greatly appreciated but as I am sure you understand policies are put in place for reasons.

Unfortunately you choose to cancel your booking with the hotel at 5.45pm on the day of arrival. Therefore meaning we would not have been able to sell that room on the day, which was a particularly busy one for us. We had earlier in the week turned away custom, therefore we had to charge the cancellation fee.

For further clarification The Regency Hotel operates a 48hour Cancellation policy and therefore any cancellations after this time are subject to charge.

All hotels have and operate cancellation policies.

There are newer reviews for Regency Hotel

Reviewed 13 February 2011

I stayed in the regeny hotel as the website showed it as a superb building with brilliant facilities and very close to the city centre. How wrong can you be! The welcome staff that cover reception are dreadfull, comman as muck and cant smile. Its supposed to be there job! The rude, arrogant manager that is commented about below, really doesnt know how to use a computer!! She doesnt seem to have improved. The lack of staff make the hotel feel empty and deserted and peeling wallpaper makes it look all the more tacky! The rooms were tiny, i was in one above the kitchen fan which didnt stop making horrible sounds all through the night, resulting in bad sleep! The bar area was often untidy and very smelly with holes in the furniture. Not worth the money or hassle to stay!

On the plus side we ate in the resturant. The food was absolutly delightfull, not a bad word to say about it! If you must go to the hotel, go for the fabulous food - the steaks are to die for!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank curly_locks504022
regencyvik, Owner at Regency Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2011

Dear Reviewer

We are sorry to hear about your recent stay with us. We take customer service very seriously here at the hotel and I am sorry to hear that you did not receive a positive greeting from the reception staff. I will be looking in to this incident and rectifying it immediately, as this is not a complaint we normally receive, as per our reviews on this and other sites such as laterooms and booking.com. I will also be looking in to the comments made about the cleanliness of the hotel and making improvements.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the food at the hotel and will pass your comments on to the chef.

Overall I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel and hope should you choose to stay with us again that we have rectified the issues you have raised.

Reviewed 7 November 2010

We have stayed at the hotel previously in the past, and whilst not a modern hotel we accept the traditional environment and finishes.

On our last visit we stayed in a basic room. Left a pillow on the floor overnight and on placing back on the bed the next morning a cockroach scurried out and across the bed!!

Complained to reception and the receptionist was appologetic, but I would have expected to have been seen a senior member of staff, and felt dismissed.

Wont be going back!

cepted that

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank explorers002
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Tired and shabby are the 2 words I'd choose to desribe this hotel. The staff seemed friendly and willing but the once glorious Edwardian (I think) building is in desperate need of some serious cleaning and decorating. Everything in the hotel seemed worn out and tired. The white oaint had that aged dirty yellowing tinge to it. The net curtains were grey not white, the soft furnishings were shabby and threadbare and some had the stffing poking out of torn seams.
We didn't bother trying the restaurant which looked alright from a distance but suffered from the same run down shabbiness of the rest of the hotel. Chipped crockery , canteen style cheap cutlery and stained table cloths .... what a pity because it really could be, and probably once was a lovely hotel.
If you do have to stay there - insist on a room at the rear . Although the view of the garbage bins and carpark is pretty grim at least the traffic won't keep you awake all night. The front faces onto the busy London road and it's a busy 24/7.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GS_Gecko
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We stayed at the Regency Hotel for 1 night in early August as it was the location for a family wedding. I have to admit that the rooms are very shabby and dark (even the superior rooms). We had a snack lunch in our room on arrival and it was quite acceptable and was delivered very promptly. The public rooms used for the wedding were well presented and the food and service were good. We had a very good time there and the staff were very obliging. and efficient. I wouldn’t choose to stay there if visiting Leicester for a few days but as regards the wedding it was fine

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Stayed in Regency twice because my office booked it for me and it was simply terrible. And I stayed in a superior room. Value for money is very bad, there are plenty of much better hotels in Leicester for a chepaer price. The mattresses are old, the rooms are small, the sofas and bed covers dirty, the food is disgusting and the hotel is very loud. Don't be fooled by the hotels advertisement that it is a charming historical hotel. There is nothing charming and nothing historical in this hotel, just crap decoration and bad service. The only good aspect of this hotel is that it is located in Stoneygate, but there are other much better hotels nearby.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank d2027
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I have stayed here on multiple occasions the most recent being in June this year as my first choice was fully booked. It has character from the outside but is dated inside. The hallways and rooms are old fashioned and cluttered. The 3 bedrooms I have stayed in were small, had everything you need for a few nights and unbelievably hot. One particular room was above the kitchen extractor fan which led to a permanent smell of grease if you had the window open.

The staff have been perfectly helpful at check in and breakfast. Breakfast itself was adequate.

If I were to stay in leicester again I would definitely choose somewhere else this time.