“Tired but good for the price, breakfast lovely”
Review of Regency Hotel

Regency Hotel
Ranked #31 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
England
“Tired but good for the price, breakfast lovely”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Myself & my partner stayed at this hotel for one night only & paid £55. We had a double en suite room which was a reasonable size-we didn't feel smothered! Tea & coffee facilities available, and breakfast was also included in the price. As far as we could see, the room was clean, but like I said, it is a rather 'tired' hotel, i.e. needing a new coat of paint and abit of a face-lift. Breakfast was lovely with a continental bar & a full english. Staff were very pleasant on arrival and throughout the stay. If I was in the area I would probably stay there again. Overall, a good stay, just could do with a lick of paint.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Been here before, stayed in a superior room (Victorian bay-windowed room facing directly onto the A6 10 yards away) so got a room down the side, but not much quieter, could still hear traffic. Worse, was the constant squeaking of floorboards in the corridor as guests came and went. Was awakened at 4a.m. by guest next door using toilet, sounded like it was actually in MY room! Room very small, TV had no Sky as advertised on their website. No remote control either. Shaver socket was so worn that I had to hold plug in with one hand whilst shaving with the other. Mouldy ceiling in shower, but otherwise fairly clean. Bed and sheets all OK. Breakfast good, staff excellent. Much better value available locally. I'll not go back again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Amips

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

London
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Not exactly the best service I have ever had at a hotel, yes it was clean.
My room was just a single room, not sure if I could swing a cat! certainly not in the bathroom!

Yes I had a very nice Chicken Stroganoff in the Langtry’s Conservatory but that is all I was offered, was not offered a dessert menu if there was one, I noticed one of the guests arrive late at 9pm & was told he could not have a meal & try a take away, yet the main restaurant advertises 10pm closing, When I went out for a walk, I came back at 10pm & the doors were locked! Should have slept in my car.

The breakfast, there was only one group of ladies at a table for breakfast & there was a card on my table inviting me to have fruit juice & cereal & my waitress would be along shortly to take my order, I had a full English, the one & only this week , I asked for coffee & the waitress said it is over there help yourself but it was empty so she filled the coffee pot up & just passed my table never even filled my cup on the way back, I just thought she was not exactly run off her feet!

I thought I had better service at the Holiday Inn Express in Birmingham, at least it was friendly.

Room Tip: Try & push for a double room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Stevie1954
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Travelling from Higham Ferrers Northamptonshire, we were happy to find the Regency easily,and within a short distance of the wedding we were attending. We checked in at 5.15p.m. by an engaging member of staff who was happy to deal with our requests. We went to our room (31) where we were pleasently surprised at the cleanliness and size of our room.We looked out onto the front of the hotel which was surprisingly quiet as the road seemed to be a busy one. Internet access is offered,however we were unable to connect.
The shower was easy to use,had plenty of hot water and the towels were wonderfully warmed on the radiator.We both had a very comfortable night sleep and joined the other guests in the dining room where we were delighted with the choices available for breakfast including a full English breakfast,fresh fruit salad and as much coffee and tea as you could drink.We checked out just before 10a.m. full and completely satisfied with the price we had paid.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Stayed here on a business trip, friendly staff, close to the city centre (2 mins by cab), and comfy beds. What more can you ask for?

Can't comment on the food as I only stayed for a night, but will try next time I stay!

• Stayed March 2011
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I have been travelling to Leicester for the last 3 1/2 years, staying on average one night per week. Because of its convenience I have stayed at the Regency rather a lot, and have had the opportunity to work out the ground rules in this quirky place. In other words the good bedrooms, avoiding eating there (awful experieces) and so forth. I also thought I knew all the staff pretty well too. I guess I have spent over £7k staying there, with the balance at other hotels that take my fancy. I view myself as a loyal and long-term customer. Which counts for diddly squat....

Imagine my horror, when cancelling a booking at short and unavoidable notice, that they insisted in charging me for the room as a "cancellation charge". When I asked to speak to the manager to complain, she curtly explained that she was the manager. I e-mailed them both through their website and and also personally. Absolutely no dice - the invoice arrived this morning.

None of this would be so bad if it were chargeable expenses - but as a sole trader this directly hits my pocket. Plus the fact that I know for a certain fact that they are very rarely full, so charging the room fee for cancellation is nothing more than naked profiteering.

So much for customer loyalty - they will not get another penny of my business again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank sawyers2000
regencyvik, Owner at Regency Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2011
I was very saddened to have read your review Mr Sawyers. Your custom has been greatly appreciated but as I am sure you understand policies are put in place for reasons.

Unfortunately you choose to cancel your booking with the hotel at 5.45pm on the day of arrival. Therefore meaning we would not have been able to sell that room on the day, which was a particularly busy one for us. We had earlier in the week turned away custom, therefore we had to charge the cancellation fee.

For further clarification The Regency Hotel operates a 48hour Cancellation policy and therefore any cancellations after this time are subject to charge.

All hotels have and operate cancellation policies.
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I stayed in the regeny hotel as the website showed it as a superb building with brilliant facilities and very close to the city centre. How wrong can you be! The welcome staff that cover reception are dreadfull, comman as muck and cant smile. Its supposed to be there job! The rude, arrogant manager that is commented about below, really doesnt know how to use a computer!! She doesnt seem to have improved. The lack of staff make the hotel feel empty and deserted and peeling wallpaper makes it look all the more tacky! The rooms were tiny, i was in one above the kitchen fan which didnt stop making horrible sounds all through the night, resulting in bad sleep! The bar area was often untidy and very smelly with holes in the furniture. Not worth the money or hassle to stay!

On the plus side we ate in the resturant. The food was absolutly delightfull, not a bad word to say about it! If you must go to the hotel, go for the fabulous food - the steaks are to die for!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank curly_locks504022
regencyvik, Owner at Regency Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Dear Reviewer

We are sorry to hear about your recent stay with us. We take customer service very seriously here at the hotel and I am sorry to hear that you did not receive a positive greeting from the reception staff. I will be looking in to this incident and rectifying it immediately, as this is not a complaint we normally receive, as per our reviews on this and other sites such as laterooms and booking.com. I will also be looking in to the comments made about the cleanliness of the hotel and making improvements.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the food at the hotel and will pass your comments on to the chef.

Overall I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel and hope should you choose to stay with us again that we have rectified the issues you have raised.