“Comfortable and friendly hotel”
Review of Regency Hotel

Regency Hotel
Ranked #33 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I booked this hotel for a night mid-week as I was working in Leicester, and don't really like the concrete and glass chain hotels. Then I read the previous reviews (which were not terribly positive about the place) !

Firstly, it is a lovely building, there is plenty of car parking and it is fairly near the centre.

On arriving I found the staff welcoming and helpful. I explained that I really could do with good wifi and they tried to find me a room with a better signal than the first that they gave me (they explained that it is better at the front of the building). The standard rooms themselves are small but perfectly adequate. They were clean and had a reasonably modern shower room.

I ate in the restaurant (only one other guest doing so - but it was a wet october night midweek), and had a very nice steak, for a reasonable price.

The bar is comfortable, the breakfast was fine.

All in all a perfectly acceptable place to stay, and far more homely than the chain hotels. I can't comment on the Sunday lunches, or how they would cope with a busier event ! But I will probably stay there again next time I go to Leicester (and am paying for my room myself).

Room Tip: Front of the building for better wifi, apparently
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank southdown_hare

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Good food, Good customer service but portions too big, will recommend and go back. love the decor, The staff were friendly and always helpful. plenty of parking . the food arrived on time and was good the lamb was cooked to perfection just the way I like it. drinks are not to expensive and reasonably priced.if you want a good meal and drinks in leicester you cant go wrong with the regency

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bonejohn
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Went for Sunday lunch well never again how the mighty have fallen avoid at all cost do your self a favour go to KFC at least it's fresh there ,the staff are clueless the food well not in even worth talking about its that bad ,they ruined my birthday can and never will for give them please avoid

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Stevechef64
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Unaware that the Regency was under new management, we booked a celebration Sunday lunch there but, when we walked into the dismal, badly lit bar area it was immediately apparent that the cosy, old fashioned charm this hotel once possessed was gone. Black tablecloths and paper napkins in the dining room did nothing to raise our spirits and the food was dreadful. Tepid, gloopy soup with diners rationed to one small read roll and a dab of butter. No toast was served with the pate, the meat was overcooked (one choice was described as "roast lion of pork") and the member of our party who bravely chose the latter was provided with neither apple sauce nor crackling. The roast potatoes were burned and flat, soggy Yorkshire puddings were flooded with thick, oversalted gravy, inaccuratey called "jus" on the menu. The waiters who served this awful meal on cold, small plates were pleasant but fairly clueless - the bottle of wine we ordered was brought to the table already opened. Having enjoyed several happy family celebrations, including a wedding, at the Regency, it was sad to see the dining experience there reduced, due to bad management and cost-cutting to the level of a third rate nineteen thirties boarding house.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank 68sophia
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Please, please, please, avoid this place at all costs!
This was supposed to be glorious family occasion and something to remember for future.
The tragedy that occurred from the implacable service and ghastly food that was plated in front of us is beyond comprehension.
The waiters were clueless not rude, no fault of theirs may I add, but the brains of the person in charge is responsible for the inept service, the starters were confused, the mains of which was to be Sunday roast, turned out to be chicken which was dry and resembled a wooden block with a drizzle of wood stain! One! yes one roast potato and a few boiled potatoes which seemed lifeless, generous to a fault, I don’t think so! Then the vegetables arrived on a separate platter there is hope I wonder? To no avail, these vegetables were poorly prepped and the goodness taken away from them, dry and horrible to look at let alone eat. And to top it all off it was all cold, yes a plate of cold food and my chicken may have well have come out frozen! My 10 year old prepares better quality food than this! It was dreadful!
What was the chef thinking? Or drinking! I wondered later if there was a chef at all! It tasted microwaved.
The crème de la crème is later ringing this place and speaking to staffs, which were too scared to give their names! Asking for an explanation was like getting blood out of a stone, no sympathy, no refunds or apologies!
Really we would have been better off at MacDonald’s at least we get free sauces!
£20 per head this cost, it was not worth £5. It is with regret that this place has no morals or business acumen, a sad loss for them as we won’t be return or be recommending.
Again I emphasise Please, please, please, avoid this place at all costs! Please read previous review too….

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Ben M
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Myself and my family had booked the regency hotel for my grandma's 90th birthday meal celebration due to the location. First impressions of the hotel was good but that disappears the minute you step inside. We were greeted by a gentleman ( no name as staff dont wear name badges) who we thought was a manager who tried to seat US at our table before all of our party had arrived without the offer of drinks. The bar area is small and the drinks were overpriced with one member of staff clearly being hungover from the.night before and looked scruffy.The meal itself was no better, my family had all chosen the two course option either a starter or a main. Water in jugs was placed on the table with no ice and bread rolls were brought round which we all started to eat. Starters arrived and the pate was popular but unfortunately it arrived with no.additional bread or toast to accompany it. We kindly asked a young lady if we could have some more bread roles and was rudely told that they was not allowed to bring any more out but if you wanted more there would be a 50p charge per role, when we didn't reply the rude young lady said " I'll take that as a no then!" ( no name badge) I was not too happy as the portion of pate was quite large so off I went to complain to the man with no name. On a plus we did get more bread roles with no charge to the bill but we really shouldn't had to have asked. The main course was even worse, the beef was overcooked and dry the vegetables seemed to microwaved, we had to ask for extra gravey and overall the food was Luke warm. I myself could cook a better roast than the chef in this kitchen. The kids meals were overcooked and dry too. I feel this hotel and staff would be an ideal candidate for the hotel inspector television show that's aired on channel four!!

• Stayed: October 2012
5  Thank drbutcher76
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Central but quiet location. Room decor, size and cleanliness quite good. Bed was quite comfy. Bathroom very clean. Shower in my bathroom was pathetic in flow and the Cistern took ages to fill up. Breakfast very basic. Staff quite polite and willing to help but unable to cope with busy times at breakfast. Cost me £55 for a night but you can get better value for money elsewhere. It certainly has the potential to be developed into a nice hotel with charming features.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple