“One Night Stay.”
Review of Regency Hotel

Regency Hotel
Ranked #33 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 12 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here Saturday night (09/03/13) because we were attending a Golden Wedding aniversary.
The Hotel is set back from the main London Road and was therefore relativly quiet, It is close to the Leicester University, DeMontfort Hall and Victoria Park and a short bus ride to the centre.There is a large car park which I'm sure could accomdate everyones vehical,
Our room was a double whilst it was clean and comfortable the the decor and furnishings were tired and in need of upgrading. The room was not very warm, however it was an exceptionally cold night but the large single glazed window did not help. I personally was warm enough but my wife wasn't. The hotel staff were lovely and couldn't do enough for you, The breakfast next morning was great, and had everything you would want.
The celebration in the evening went well and we enjoyed a nice meal and there was no rush from the staff to get us to leave.
The big question would I stay again? The answer is yes, but in the spring or summer definatley not the winter.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TedOfRugby

Reviewed 10 March 2013

My 95 year old mother always complains about the service and food where ever we go, however on this occasion it was justified. She had frequented the Regency many years previously for lunch, but hadn't been for 5 years and was severely disappointed on her return. The Regency is known as something a little bit more special but the décor is dated and tired and in need of updating. The ambient music was only fit for the elderly and sung in a foreign language. The menu looked fairly promising, but the food was nothing to write home about, and certainly didn't deliver to expectations. The bread rolls were clearly old and reheated, being hard to break into. The tomato soup 'was' fairly tasty and hearty but sweetened for some reason. The mains were Sunday roast but the meat was over cooked and the roast potatoes again clearly rewarmed and required a small chisel to break into. The Yorkshire pudding was far too thick and heavy. The service was more attentive than some reviews suggest but there was a clear lack of knowledge about how to serve tables by the 2 male waiters, one clearly the manager, reaching across people to take or serve plates to others. Sauces etc were not served or offered and had to be asked for. No sugar when coffee was served. The waitress was the only one who seemed to have a little bit about her. We were able to access these reviews while we ate and decided to skip the desserts, particularly as by now my Mother had complained in her usual way, to both us for not researching Trip Advisor before we came, and the restaurant manager about the food being reheated and disappointing, and she would not be recommending the Regency to her 'ladies that lunch'!. To be fair..... I have to agree with her and we will not be coming here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicola B
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in March 2013. I was a bit worried as the price was very reasonable (£78 for 2 nights). All was good. Staff efficient and friendly. I booked a single room which had a good size bed; it was well arranged and clean. It was well heated. The bathroom has a good shower and is clean. There is a nice big window. Room 7 is at the back/side of the house, and I found it very quiet. There is free wifi which was generally good, signal occasionally dropped for a few mins. Breakfast was a good spread, included full English etc. The house itself is a large Victorian/Edwardian affair, although the interior decor maybe is a bit dated. There is a bar and evening meals are available, although I can't vouch for either. Perfect for a business trip or base for exploiring the area.

The hotel is on the London Road which is convenient for the University of Leicester (about 15 mins walk via Knighton Park Road). Buses 31, 31A and X3 go from city centre by train station and along London Road (Sandown Road stop outwards) - fare £2.40 - and a taxi from train station was about £7 (5 mins). You can walk into city centre in about 20 mins. If I had to complain, the only thing I would mention is that the "satellite TV" amounted to I think 6 channels.

Room Tip: Room 7 was a good sized single bed at the back, quiet, warm, and clean.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Went for a lunch with a large party to celebrate my mother's birthday. The meal was booked for 2pm on a Saturday and we were the only people there. The table was set out nicely, with wine glasses. balloons and birthday confetti. We were welcomed by one person who sent us through to table, the bar was in another room. We went to get a drink and asked about a wine list, we were asked if we wanted red or white and offered a bottle at the bar. The coke I bought for my daughter was flat and pretty horrible, I took it back to change it and had to wait for the barrel or whatever it was to be changed. Eventually I asked if they would bring it to me which they did. This was the only time any drinks from the bar were brought to or offered at the table.

My meal was nice, though there seemed to be only two people bringing out the food for a party of twenty plus which took some time. The meals were also served plated up with potatoes and veg, but then they put cauliflower cheese on the table which is unusual. My nephew had the risotto which he asked if he could change as it was not nice, and asked for pasta which he found a large lump of chicken in - not very good for a vegetarian. They were very apologetic.
It then seemed to take ages for the sweets to come.

All in all it was very average, the food ok but nothing to write home about and the service not particularly attentive or good. I enjoyed being with my family but I would not pay £20 a head for a set three course menu here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

Me and my friends using The Regency every year for the past 10 years as a base for our University reunion. Our main reason being in Leicester is to play football so location is convenient for the University playing fields nearby at Stoughton Road and easy to get into the city centre afterwards for the post match curry and pubs.

Rooms are pretty standard but comfortable for a night's stay, although woyuld benefit from some modernising/updating of decor. Bathroom with a shower enclosure was a bit cramped. All rooms come equipped with LCD TVs but reception is a bit dodgy and choice now basically reduced to the terrestrial channels whereas in the past there was Sky Sports channels on offer.

We don't stay for any food in the evening but always get up in the morning for the breakfast service (well most of us do). Full English breakfast available as well as plenty of cereal, fruit, juice and tea/coffee on offer.

Paid £45 a room which was slightly cheaper than previous year and offered when booking without having to ask. Staff are always friendly and helpful even though have seen various changes over the years.

All in all can't complain and we'll be back in November 2013.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

Dirty Room, service did not make it up (no staff)? Freezing cool. they switched of the heating. very noise upside: price is 55 €. location is a ctually nice old house but they need to renovate a lot! the bed was too small: just a queen size avalable. in german: das hat schon bessere zeiten gesehen.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank BonfishBlues
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We went to Leicester to do our Christmas run ,we came up from the south coast ,see the family before Christmas etc ,The Regency we knew ,as we once lived in Leicester ,big mistake ,booked in for two nights ,stayed one ,poor rooms ,no one seemed to know what was what ,poor breakfast ,cold room ,all l can say is the Regency Hotel is worn out ,gaffer tape on the carpets ,worn out tables etc what a shame

Room Tip: Would not recommend this hotel ,someone needs to get hold of the Regency Hotel ,before it dies ,it u...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family