“A poor Frenchman's holiday inn express”

Campanile Hotel Leicester
Ranked #24 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed here last minute on my own after a heavy night out. The room rate of £65 seemed reasonable for city centre and I pleased they had plenty of rooms available late on a Saturday night but maybe I can now see why!
The hotels is surrounded by horrible and dirty streets but the hotel looks of a modern design with car park and secured gate and fencing.
The staff were very friendly and helpful when I asked about getting a taxi for my friend and toiletries for my room, which unfortunately they had ran out of supplies! Although they directed me to a nearby shop.
The room was in a bad state considering how modern it did appear. The carpet certainly needed replacing and there were quite a few cobwebs lingering. It was a stuffy in the room and with no air con, I was forced to have the window open, to be greeted by ring-road traffic through the night and the day until I checked out. Breakfast is optional for an extra £8 if you want the full works, £6 if you like French a la continental.
The bath was obviously made for all the small French people that visit Leicester. I am a tall guy yes, but I could even lay my legs flat in it! There was also a long, unsightly crack and scar in the material of the sink. This place should only be worth a max of £50 a night. I would not stay here again if I could afford not to.

Room Tip: Away from the main road if there are any.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Steve P, Manager at Campanile Hotel Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review.
I was disappointed to read that you experienced some issues when staying with us.
At the Campanile Leicester we take customer satisfaction seriously so you can be assured that we will be taking preventative action as to avoid a reoccurrence.

If you would like to discuss the points of your stay in more detail please feel free to contact me at manager.leicester@campanile.com

There are newer reviews for Campanile Hotel Leicester

Reviewed 30 September 2013

What a rip off of a Hotel. Over priced and not a place I'd stay again. The room was small and the dark bathroom has a quaint smell of 'drains' about it. At over £40 a night this was bad. This was for room only as breakfast would have cost an extra £8! Lovely iron burn on the carpet and possibly the worse coffee I have EVER tasted in the room. Due to me working in the evening I didn't leave the room until about 11am every day - I did have a do not disturb sign on the door - but the cleaners did manage to wake me every morning between 8.30 and 9.30 with their shouting outside in the corridor. But alas even after vacating my room the room was not serviced once in the five days I was there. The location - right under a flyover - was not the best place to have a hotel. Walking to work and into Leicester (about 5 mins) I was greeted at the hotel gate by vomit on the pavement and empty beer cans. Nice!!

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The room smelled like a stale toilet/urinal! The bed was the worst part, it was lumpy, squeaked sunk in the middle. I could not sleep at all on that thing. There was also loads of noise, people banging doors at all hours. The locations is also very questionable, felt uncomfortable walking there in the daytime would not do it at night and would feel like my car would be vandalized if left parked there..... all in all so bad that it does not bear remembering!

Room Tip: Do not go here!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Steve P, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review.

Whilst we cannot change the location of the hotel you can be assured that we take customer satisfaction seriously and have spoken to the houskeeping team with regards to the problems you encountered.

Steve

Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here last week and really enjoyed our stay. The room was lovely and clean, with a tea and coffee tray. The staff were really friendly and helpful. We asked for an extra quilt and within 5 minutes it arrived, we ordered room service and the food was beautiful, Overall excellent place at a great price

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rnrdavies

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your thanks to the team for the service that you received.

Steve

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Lovely rooms

Lovely staff

Good parking

Nice bar and food

Lift small

If you prefer a bath you need to state this as some rooms have showers

Kettle in room with plenty of tea coffee etc

Maid really friendly (the blonde girl)

No air con is only downside but the window open is fine

If you want a quiet room you can ask these face the car park but the view isnt so great the other side isnt so noisy and the view is great

Will stay again and recommend to other visitors

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Booked room as a last resort as other hotels were full. Charged £59 which I reluctantly paid.
Booked over phone was greeted by a lady speaking French. Having finally got her to understand I was English and didn't understand French she replied" well I won't speak French to you then". I was told I would receive a confirmation email. I did get email and due to language barrier post code, name and phone number incorrect.
Arrived at hotel receptionist friendly but that is where the positive ends.
Room smelt very strange mix of curry and something we couldn't quite figure..
Rooms coffee making facility consisted of 2 sachets of coffee 2 decaf and 4tea bags. 4pots of milk. We are coffee drinkers so this wouldn't last. The coffee itself was 'Nairobi' brand which could be translated to 'absolutely gopping'. Possibly the worst I have tried.
We were pushed for time as we had traveled 2hours to take care of some business. So we left bag and went.
Returning at around 11.15p.m we began to find the problems that you wouldn't expect to pay £59 a night for the pleasure.
' One hand towel and one bath towel in bathroom, second bath towel in wardrobe. Both towels in bathroom had dirty hand prints and brown stains. The bathroom was in need of decorating and toilet seat was loose and the floor had not been cleaned properly.
My wife had a shower ( using the only clean towel) and the plug was in closed position so she tried to open it but it wouldn't move. I tried without success. Result bath filled with water from shower. Far from impressed I read the welcome pack to find reception number and instructions on how to use phone. One problem no phone to use anyway.
I walked down to reception to be treated by a grinning person. I asked for new towels to which he laughed and said I will see what I can do. I then told him of plug issue to which he laughed once again and said ' it isn't your night is it ' followed by another laugh. I gave him my opinion on him finding it funny and he said he would come up with his screwdriver. I got two towels but he didn't arrive and in the end I found a way to open the plug.
Carpet was dirty to the point you didn't want to take your shoes off, the dust and dirt suggested definite lack of the use of a vacuum cleaner.
This room was in need of a make over and a deep clean.
My wife was too tired to drive around to look for a hotel so she managed to sleep on the springy mattress but I am writing this at 1.08 am. Far from happy and will be contacting the French lady again.
Nearly forgot they honestly believe we would be daft enough to spend £8.75 on a breakfast !!
(Previous negative reviews have had what seems to be a token gesture response from manager. It seems little is done to resolve issues)

Room Tip: Can't and wouldn't recommend any room if they are all like this one!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve P, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review, however I was very disappointed to read of all the issues that you experienced.

At the Campanile Leicester we pride ourselves on giving excellent service and I can only apologise that you did not receive this during your stay.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further please contact me at manager.leicester@campanile.com

Steve Powell

Reviewed 17 September 2013

If you want fab location with free car parking then stay here. But just dont expect the earth. The rooms are VERY basic. To the point of not having a pen or drinking glasses. The mattress was awful. However the room was clean and the shower worked very well. It was 5 min walk to the centre and very close to the space museum. Sleep was fragmented due to the noise being made by people closing their doors as you have to really bang them to get them to shut.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.
I was pleased to read that you found us well located and with clean rooms.
With regards to the mattress issue you have experienced I have asked our supplier to investigate.