“A bit of a mixed bag...”

Campanile Hotel Leicester
Ranked #26 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Ilkley, United Kingdom
“A bit of a mixed bag...”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed here with several friends a couple of weeks ago. The location is good and the staff very friendly and efficient. Unfortunately the car park was completely full when we returned at around 11pm, so I was obliged to park overnight on the dimly lit street.

The quality of the continental breakfast was excellent, but this was all overshadowed by quite the most uncomfortable bed I can remember sleeping in. Not only was it a narrow double (maybe 4'6") but the mattress had virtually collapsed resulting in both occupants being propelled into the middle of the mattress. It was so bad it was actually quite funny but, should I go there again, I shall insist on checking out the bed first!

Room Tip: See above - check the bed before accepting the room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Steve P, Manager at Campanile Hotel Leicester, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.
I was delighted to read that you found the team to be friendly and the breakfast of good quality.

With regards to your comments on you mattress I have passed these to our bed supplier whom will be investigating shortly.

Deputy Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

For the price, cant really go wrong. Book in advance and you can get a good price. Local to the town center and also car parking is free, but some nights does get full so you will to park outside on the street. Been a few times, staff are nice and friendly, would go again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank 1RPP
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The entrance to the hotel car park is on Bedford Street North, not St Matthews Way. If you're using SatNav, I'd advise you to use Bedford Street North crossing Grosvenor Street as your destination - otherwise you'll probably waste time going over the flyover like I did.

My room was hot and airless even though it was cold outside. The radiator was OFF and there was no thermostat. I opened the window but soon closed it because of the noise from the main road (which is only slightly less with the window shut). The room was small - I'd say this is one step up from a Travelodge. The bathroom had a large shelf for toiletries, but a very narrow desk in front of the mirror in the main part of the room (probably more annoying for female guests!). There was no hand towel in the bathroom, and only a small bath towel. On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable.

Parking was free but the car park is not that large, and it became very full as the evening wore on. I was warned that the gates would be closed at 11pm and that I'd need to use a bell or intercom on a smaller gate (on foot) in order to get back in, but in the end the gates were still open when I got back around midnight.

Apparently the hotel has free WiFi but I didn't bother trying it; the 3G signal was dire.

Continental breakfast was £6 - the food was fresh but there wasn't a great deal of choice.

When you check in, the hotel pre-authorises your credit card for an amount considerably more than the room rate - in my case, they swiped my card for £60 although my room only cost £33.

I would certainly look for something better next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sometimesong
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review.
I was disappointed to read that you experienced some issues when staying with us.
At the Campanile Leicester we take customer satisfaction seriously so you can be assured that we will be taking preventative action as to avoid a reoccurrence.

If you would like to discuss the points of your stay in more detail please feel free to contact me at manager.leicester@campanile.com

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed here last minute on my own after a heavy night out. The room rate of £65 seemed reasonable for city centre and I pleased they had plenty of rooms available late on a Saturday night but maybe I can now see why!
The hotels is surrounded by horrible and dirty streets but the hotel looks of a modern design with car park and secured gate and fencing.
The staff were very friendly and helpful when I asked about getting a taxi for my friend and toiletries for my room, which unfortunately they had ran out of supplies! Although they directed me to a nearby shop.
The room was in a bad state considering how modern it did appear. The carpet certainly needed replacing and there were quite a few cobwebs lingering. It was a stuffy in the room and with no air con, I was forced to have the window open, to be greeted by ring-road traffic through the night and the day until I checked out. Breakfast is optional for an extra £8 if you want the full works, £6 if you like French a la continental.
The bath was obviously made for all the small French people that visit Leicester. I am a tall guy yes, but I could even lay my legs flat in it! There was also a long, unsightly crack and scar in the material of the sink. This place should only be worth a max of £50 a night. I would not stay here again if I could afford not to.

Room Tip: Away from the main road if there are any.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Deputy Manager

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Cardiff
Reviewed 30 September 2013

What a rip off of a Hotel. Over priced and not a place I'd stay again. The room was small and the dark bathroom has a quaint smell of 'drains' about it. At over £40 a night this was bad. This was for room only as breakfast would have cost an extra £8! Lovely iron burn on the carpet and possibly the worse coffee I have EVER tasted in the room. Due to me working in the evening I didn't leave the room until about 11am every day - I did have a do not disturb sign on the door - but the cleaners did manage to wake me every morning between 8.30 and 9.30 with their shouting outside in the corridor. But alas even after vacating my room the room was not serviced once in the five days I was there. The location - right under a flyover - was not the best place to have a hotel. Walking to work and into Leicester (about 5 mins) I was greeted at the hotel gate by vomit on the pavement and empty beer cans. Nice!!

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The room smelled like a stale toilet/urinal! The bed was the worst part, it was lumpy, squeaked sunk in the middle. I could not sleep at all on that thing. There was also loads of noise, people banging doors at all hours. The locations is also very questionable, felt uncomfortable walking there in the daytime would not do it at night and would feel like my car would be vandalized if left parked there..... all in all so bad that it does not bear remembering!

Room Tip: Do not go here!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Steve P, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Leicester, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review.

Whilst we cannot change the location of the hotel you can be assured that we take customer satisfaction seriously and have spoken to the houskeeping team with regards to the problems you encountered.

Steve

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here last week and really enjoyed our stay. The room was lovely and clean, with a tea and coffee tray. The staff were really friendly and helpful. We asked for an extra quilt and within 5 minutes it arrived, we ordered room service and the food was beautiful, Overall excellent place at a great price

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rnrdavies
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your thanks to the team for the service that you received.

Steve