“No tap water?”

Chai Paani
Ranked #573 of 1,206 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Came here once for a quick lunch. I am healthy when it comes to what I drink and therefore asked for tap water. The waiter wouldn't serve me it and said I had to buy a drink. I had to tell them it was illegal to refuse me tap water but yet he refused to serve me it. Poor service, never returning.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Would never come here again as I found glass in my food..! When I felt this in my mouth and took a bite I knew it was something that I shouldn't have bitten into. I was absolutely shocked. Once we complained to the management team, they took the pieces back into the kitchen and came out saying it was 'only plastic, and not to worry'. I did not bother taking the complaint any further as I didn't see the point, but I will never eat from here again, nor would I recommend it.

2  Thank AmmaK123
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I've been to Chai Paani on numerous occasions, particularly during my University days 08-11. However my most recent visit will be my last. It was a Saturday mid-afternoon (3-4pm) and I, my father and my two brothers decided to have a masala chai each and a couple of Bombay sandwiches to fill the hunger gap between lunch and dinner.

After taking a seat and ordering our chai and sandwiches, the waitress returned a couple of minutes afterwards, stating that we cannot eat here unless we order more food, raising an eyebrow to this, I decided, ok, we'll order another Bombay sandwich. The waitress then replied, that we can't order the sandwiches unless we buy items from the main menu.

Realising that this has become a joke, my brothers and I looked at each and we decided to leave, but before I left I couldn't resist asking to speak to the manager to gain a better insight into the greedy mentality behind those who run this establishment.

I called the manager and asked him to explain why we couldn't simply have 4 masala chai's and 2 Bombay sandwiches. His reason was that there were customers who wanted main meals and due to us not ordering a main meal we weren't allowed to eat in and also that Chai Paani was a restaurant NOT a cafe. I argued my point that the name of the establishment is Chai Paani, referring to Tea and water, a so called joint to refresh yourself and that was clearly what we were doing. I also made the point that this looks more like a cafe rather than a restaurant. The exchange between us became heated and the manager told us to go elsewhere for chai. Considering this is Belgrave Road, the heart of the Hindu community and Hindus are taught with the ideals of treating others with the utmost respect, the manager and Chai Paani are clearly not adhering to this. Here is a Hindu whose mindset is clearly on himself and his money pot, has Ram bhakt bhajans playing in the background with his Shiv murti beside his cash till and who probably goes to his place of worship reciting prayers and performing rituals to remove badness and restore goodness in life. Typical. This one problem the Hindu community face, Hindus who really don't care about anyone other than themselves.

I dislike such people and their businesses, I would never go again and I recommend everyone considering to go there to avoid it.

17  Thank Abhimanyu14
Reviewed 16 May 2014

7  Thank Abhimanyu14
Reviewed 5 May 2014

i brought 5 friends from outside leicester to this place, and it is the worst mistake i made.

firstly, we ordered several items from manchurian to paneer to dahi samosa and noodles with some drinks,
- the noodles were 3 different types. all looked the same except one which was pink, and all taste the same with a difference in heat and amount of onions. not impressed.
- the paneer was coated in batter to make them crispy, so the flavour is only on the outside.
- the manchurian was a ball of flour. disgusting.
- the dahi samosa was dahi with one samosa, cut up into tiny pieces (SERIOUSLY?!)
- drinks was the worst. we ordered milkshakes at the beginning of the order and received them after we had finished eating.

everyone was extremely disappointed. portions were kiddie sized and when it became hot, they opened the door to a cold wind. toilet was out of service

looking on the FSA website, there is no record of them. i would not recommend them to any person as i vomitted it back out an hour later.

all in all not an experience worth having. and when we asked to contact the owner, we were outright refused any information.

10  Thank Rajen M