“A quiet place in the country.......”

Bruntingthorpe Air Museum
Ranked #31 of 112 things to do in Leicester
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Fantastic museum located on the old USAF base a short distance from Lutterworth.

The Cold War Jets Days are excellent - the only place inthe Workd you can see a Nimrod, Buccaneers, Victor and many more moving under their own power!!!

1  Thank Paul W
There are newer reviews for Bruntingthorpe Air Museum

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Some pals and I from a car club came here just to meet up somewhere centrally for most of us. What was a booked visit looked in doubt, due to a breakdown in communications at the museum, but there was one of the many volunteers there who gave us a better tour round than we might have had! I do not imply any criticism with any of the museum staff, it was winter, and we were just out for a nice day. So, a big thanks to our guide, and rest assured, we will be back for an open day with a bit of noise to enjoy!

2  Thank LordUnstone
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was the first time I have been here and I came for the Cold War Jets Day. It is one of the few times they start the jets up. It cost £15 and there was no problems with parking. There was a flight line of various jets some of which you could sit in and have photos taken and most of the jets were not conned off so you could walk all around them.
The show started at 1100 and finished at 1700. during that time the jets were taxiing up and down the runway only a few yards away. The two Lightnings revered up and opened the throttles and thundered past with reheat on WOW! The Victor K2, Nimrod, Buccaneer, Jet Provosts, Hunter and Delphin all put on a brilliant show.
There was also a flying display by a Spitfire and Hurricane.
There was not many trade or food stalls which was a shame, this would make it an even better show but I was unable to tear myself away from the show for more than a few minutes to look at these stalls.
I will go back again.
***You must have ear protection for this show.***

8  Thank Cliveburkinshaw
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We were very disappointed about the lack of information given. There were no information boards, no leaflets, nothing to tell you what you were looking at nor the history of the various aircraft there. There were very few volunteers around to answer any questions. We saw some planes in the distance. There were no signs saying the public did not have access to certain areas and we were quite shocked to be told off for wandering into a restricted area. well, I'm sorry but if you don't put a sign up to tell people where they should not go you have only yourselves to blame. We are not thought readers. We won't be going back.

9  Thank Maz03
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This was our first visit to Bruntingthorpe, but my brothers 3rd.
We took our Grandson to see the cold war jets day which happens I beleive twice a year.
The museum is open all year round and nearly all the aircraft are in the open. They have an amazing collection and some very rare aircraft. All funding is through the public and the museum is run privately by a dedicated team most of whom are volunteers. The place is an absolute gem and although fairly basic well worth a visit.
The cold war day was amazing. They can no longer fly these aircraft but incredibly have many that still are in running order and they fire them up and do runs down the 2 mile runway at near take off speeds. When you see the likes of Nimrod,Bucaneer,Victor,VC10,and Lightnings (on full afterburner) at such close quarters doing a figure of eight to the crowd line before hurtling down the runway,you cannot help but be in awe of these wonderful machines. An impromptu run of 5 (yes 5 Jet Provosts) one of which visited the show and took off to give us a little display at the end was the finale to a fantastic day out.
This museum and show are somewhat unique and I highly recommend paying them a visit and help to keep part of our heritage going. Where else can you see a Nimrod run down the runway and an hour later look inside it! And the Guppy is huge!
All in all a cracking day out and brilliant value for money. Cannot wait till the next show.

6  Thank tweetNottm