“Avoid”

Ranked #16 of 22 Leicester B&B and Inns
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Made the mistake of booking this place without reading reviews...I must say having read them now, I would agree with all the negative comments! It is not merely a language barrier: warmth and welcome sound the same in all languages. I too was told very firmly (and more than once!) that I was not allowed to have any guests in the room. I am a middle-aged professional and a mother...I really don't think I would be mistaken for a 'working girl' - at least I hope not! I also balked at the idea of a £10 deposit for a front door key. No towel in room, nowhere to wash hands in the WC. I had to move a piece of furniture to find an electric point so I could charge my mobile phone. When I had sufficient charge on it, I booked a room at the Ibis and left. I wasn't asked why I was checking out @ 1 hour after checking in (which is quite telling.) It felt like a halfway house or really bad student accommodation. I wasn't expecting 5-star luxury for the price, but I did expect to be able to wash and dry my hands after using a toilet, and to feel safe. Avoid, avoid, avoid. And always read reviews before booking hotel (or guest house) rooms!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank LAM1965

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Slovak first
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I feel rather passionately that it is only fair to readers and to the proprietors of such establishments that reviews should be kept in perspective.
Fist of all, this is a Guest House and not a Hotel. My room was perfectly clean and comfortable. The building felt safe, secure and warm. The owners are Croation and do struggle with speaking English, however it is important not to confuse this with rudeness (I found them to be rather charming, especially if you show an interest in their country).
It was rather like staying in the spare room of someone's house, which in effect I guess I was.
I think that an overnight stay for £39 with breakfast was more than reasonable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul S
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I wish my husband had looked on Tripadvisor before booking me into this awful place. My room was comfortless and unwelcoming. No soap, no towels, no plug in the basin in my room. I was supposed to have use of a shared bathroom but never found it. All I found was a separate WC that also had no basin or handwashing facilities. My room had no tea/coffee making facilities. The bed was hard and uncomfortable. I couldn't sleep for the noise. I was there two nights and spent both nights crying in my room. I have never felt so alone and afraid in my life. My husband can't stop apologising for booking me in there. I complained and asked for a partial refund but this was refused. I had paid by credit card and the lady said "I can't give you refund because money is gone." This is nonsense and I will be opening a dispute with the credit card company. I had booked in as a vegetarian but was offered "Bacon, egg, beans" for breakfast. No vegetarian alternative was offered. I had two slices of thin toast and a mug of tea. I was offered cereal but only a single box of Cornflakes was available. The best part of staying at the Grafton House "Hotel" was leaving at 6.30am on Sunday morning. This was the first time I had visited Leicester and it has ruined my experience of the city. I had to pay a £10 deposit for a key to the front door and on arriving I was told sternly "No visitors please!" as if she expected me to be smuggling in a lover or even a client for some sexual gymnastics on that horrible, hard bed. I was told by other students on my course who were local to Leicester that this "hotel" is actually in the red light district. I could easily believe this as the street seemed extremely rough and I was woken at 3am on Sunday morning by what sounded like a pack of hookers returning from their night's work! They stormed up the stairs, screaming and shouting obscenities and even shouted through my door. The owners and staff of Grafton House "Hotel" appear to be only interested in taking guests' money and giving as little as they possibly can in exchange.

Room Tip: Don't go at all.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ElizabethW2

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Where can I start! The staff were very rude on arrival, stating their rules and threatening us by saying 'do not make mistakes, you have been warned'. I have never been spoken to like that before in any hotel I have stayed at! We were made to pay a £10 deposit for a key in order for us to re-enter after 11.30pm, which we were willing to pay as we also valued security.

When we were shown to our room, we were majorly disappointed. The room was freezing and smelt like sick. One of the wardrobes had a draw full of somebody elses underwear. If that was not enough, we realised that the bedding had not been changed that day (or that week) as it had somebody elses hair all over it an smelt used. The facilities were dreadful, only consisting of one single mirror in a "double" bedroom and 2 plugs (one of which had the miniscule heater plugged in). The lighting was terrible, with light bulbs missing.

We went out for the night and returned to find both the front doors ajar (what was that about security?) which of course makes you feel uneasy. Because we were worried about who may have entered the bnb while we were out, we decided to call a friend to come help check the place out. Of course we were panicking all the way through as we we 'clearly' told that if we made the mistake of bringing somebody back there will be consequences (he had told us that he watches the camera's every night and every morning). After checking that the place was safe enough for us to stay we walked our friend out and was saying bye when one of owners crept up behind us and told him to leave this second or we should leave. Of course we left, at 4am. Do not make the same mistake we did.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nedster1987
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I can honestly say that this place was more like a flee ridden hostel than a British B&B. on the day of arrival we were greeted with a simple '' Hello, Hello, get in quick it is cold '' which to me sounded rude , not the right way to greet any paying customer. He gave us a list of rules which is fair enough however he threatened us by saying , '' do not invite anybody , if you want to sleep with men go to their house, you have been warned , do not make that mistake in my B&B'' when we made it to our room , there was one small mirror , a sink and a bed. The room had clearly not been cleaned thoroughly as we found at least 5 hairs in our bed .There was a heater the size of a shoe box , in a large room . All in all I would never recommend this place upon my worst enemy , the staff were awful , also looked as if the lady needed a good wash , and the rooms were dirty .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank xsarahmay
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

On line this hotel states there is internet, and heating which is what i needed as i work as a dnacer in the city of leicester this is all i needed.. i got there and my room was freezing i had to leave my hair dryer on all day and night to get some warmth.. no internet i could get 1 bar in the bath room.. shared bath rooms.. could even have a bath! no towels no soap, the staff were ok.. but didnt speak hardly any english.. and there was only one plug socket in the room.. and for the price i paid i could have stayed in a nicer proper hotel for an extra 7 pounds per night.. HORRIBLE experience i would wish this place on anyone.. i think its ment for workers, i got the impression there were builders staying there and 3-4 people in one room.. aweful made my trip very uncomfortable.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank adele334
midlands
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This is the sort of hotel used in depressing TV dramas where something bad happens! Having said that, there are a few good points - there are some, which is why I didn't mark it 'terrible'. It is convenient for Leicester train station. You get a parking permit so you can park in the road outside. It is warm and you get breakfast. Would perhaps be ok for a student passing through for one night only. Staff were ok.
Now the bad. It is quite dirty and tired in décor with marks on the wall and dirt on the carpet. The bed is uncomfortable and seems old. The old fashioned TV is run from adaptors hanging down the wall. The sink has no plug. No towels, soap, drinks or kettle provided. There was one strip light and a wardrobe with a door that kept swinging open. No table to work at. No sockets. No Wi-Fi even though it is advertised. The shared bathroom has a notice saying 'please do not use the bath'. The shower trickles boiling water for 5 seconds then freezing cold for 15 seconds.
The hotel closes at 11.30pm.
Breakfast is a choice of 2 cereals and a mug of tea/coffee. Then bacon, eggs and beans which was ok. Toast too, no choice given. 2 choices of fruit juice. TV blaring on the High Street Channel selling bras.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business