“Don't have the carvery”

Ranked #32 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
leicester
“Don't have the carvery”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Went Sunday 15th September 2013. I can't really say anything good about, apart from the service. I queued for over 15 minutes, I had been given a slice of meat and a Yorkshire pudding, then waited for a family to serve themselves, after 15 minutes and watching them drop food on the floor and put it back in the serving dishes, the kids were picking up the food with their hand then putting it back, it was awful, I asked for my money back as the rest of my party had been served and finished their meal. I do think someone should have been over seeing the carvery as it was quite shocking. Anyway decided to cut my losses and have a sweet, they were in a glass case well away from mucky little hands, that took an age to arrive and when it did, that to was awful, it was made with some horrible synthetic cream that had the texture of cold thick porridge, it was horrible. The Mill on the Sour is certainly OFF my places to visit again

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank skeggsy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
South Derbyshire
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We ate here two weeks ago and had a great time with the family, the food was great and the staff seemed very happy and really made an effort to talk to our children.

The outside area was great, it had everything you could want, play area, a lake and even hotel rooms to stay over!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stay at this establishment quite regularly as it is very convenient for diving at Stoney Cove. The Mill on the Soar is unpretentious and does what it sets out to do. It is well priced for what it offers, the rooms are clean and well prepared, the food is decent pub food and the staff are extremely friendly and courteous - indeed the staff are the company's best asset. If you want more/luxury then go somewhere else, pay double and take your chances :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Diss, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The only good thing I can say about this overnight stay at this establishment was that the young man who checked us in was very courteous. Otherwise, there IS nothing good to say. For £50 as night we expected better. We ordered prawn sandwiches after we had checked in to the very standard accommodation - big mistake! My husband was still suffering yesterday, two days on. Then, the room above us had a party in it all night, leaving at 6 am. However, when we complained on check out, we were told that there was no-one in that room! Well, they kept us awake all night - one was Cheryl and the other Lee. Maybe noisy ghosts? No, we think some of the staff used this room. It was also being cleaned the next morning, so SOMEONE stayed there. The following night, for only £20 extra, we checked into the Hilton Hotel, had a suite with breakfast, swimming pool and very polite staff. How they can justify £50 a night is beyond me. For families, the outdoor eating/drinking area was perfect and if you want food which is basic with no 'presentation' style, then it is fine. We certainly will not be back. The bathroom was in a dreadful condition - it was clean but the w.c. had seen better days shall we say.

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lizi090411

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Was not expecting much when I booked in here but what i found left me very surprised. I expected shabby decor but was faced with a nicer room than what ive had in some other higher stared hotels. The Bathroom was a bit dated but that didnt bother me as it was clean. Lovely clean towels and even the mini shampoos left out. The very busy bar/grill was filled with happy workers and families. There was an exceptionally long wait for food but I was advised of that before I ordered rather than left waiting. The food was good, basic and worth the price paid. Yes this place is beside a busy road but i feel the noise is ok but then again i live in London so cant judge. If you are concerned then dont book in. Breakfast was lovely served again by very happy helpful people. This place has free wifi throughout which works well. The only fault I have is the tv in my room was broken HOWEVER I didn't report it - so hardly worth mentioning it here really.
The bed and sheets were comfy soft and clean. I heard no noise from other guests and got to enjoy my morning with a fine Latte and a walk beside a local pond.
My conclusion is £45 I paid for my double bed was a deal. I think the hotel could charge a little higher but as it is im surprised they are not booked up till next year. Great place for people like me who are passing through for work or pleasure

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank taraog
United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Although clean the accommodation was in need of a general refurbishment. Our room faced the main road and traffic noise was an issue for us and double glazing may help reduce the problem. The going of concrete steps leading up to the first floor accommodation is fairly steep and could lead to a less able bodied person stumbling and injuring themselves. The wooden handrails accompanying these steps were deteriorating badly and bare wood was clearly visible in place where the paint had flaked away and my concern is that with continuing deterioration the handrails will become unsafe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the main road if noise could be an issue for you.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This rather basic hotel is part of the Hungary Horse chain. It has the restaurant nearby. The rooms are separate from the food area but close to a main road. The rooms are in a 2 storey block with car parking in front of the dooors. I found the room and bathroom large but very tatty. Window does open for air as rather stuffy night but traffic noise all night. Bathroom was full of flies on the window sill, shower curtain grubby. Bath is plastic and stained. Toilet was chipped and black stains in u bend. Black spots could have been paint in the wash basin. Just shower gel and towels provided with tea and coffee making facilities. Shade missing from ceiling light. Check in was quick. Hotel was difficult to find on Conventry Rd even with sat nav. had to stop and ask a local for directions. When tried to phone said number unavailable. Cost £45 for the night

Room Tip: Choose ground floor as have to deal with steps to reach upper level.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leicester
Days Inn Leicester Forest East M1
Travelodge Leicester Hinckley Road
College Court Hotel
College Court Hotel
#7 of 40 in Leicester

Been to Mill on the Soar? Share your experiences!