“Amazing and Unique”
Review of The Smokehouse - CLOSED

The Smokehouse
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Amazing and Unique”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I eat out quite regularly and use trip advisor for inspiration but this place currently doesn't feature in leicesters top ranks and so wasn't even on my radar. Thanks to a friend for recommending it, I loved it. Theres nothing like this in leicester. I was so happy with my brisket of beef on a brioche bun. The sides were very reasonable so id say order a few to share... the mash was heaven and loved the mac n cheese. Hope this place stays 'popped up' so i can visit again. Btw this is my first ever review on trip advisor.

Leicester
“"Very positive surprise"”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I was slightly dubious about going to the Smokehouse,not because I had heard bad things about it but concerns that the produce they might be using, my concerns were unfounded. The whole experience was great, I went with two friends, the staff were excellent very friendly and professional, the decor was casual and subdued all tables were occupied. Two of us had the pork ribs,they had a great flavour really succulent, the other friend had the pulled pork, for side dishes we shared mixed beans,creamy mash and fennel and jalapeno mash. I will definitely be visiting the Smokehouse again with friends and family.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank john k
Hi John,

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your meal at the Smokehouse. In relation to any concerns you might have regarding the quality of the produce we use; we pride ourselves on always using high quality produce which our head chef sources very carefully.

Thank you for your positive words regarding the quality of service and staff and we look forward to you joining us with your friends and family in the future.

Kind regards

The Pop Up Smokehouse Team
“Tasty food and great concept”
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had a great meal at The Smokehouse. With a main and side each and a pudding to share we were both nicely full. The service throughout was excellent and the staff very friendly.
My husband had the St Louis cut Ribs with the fennel and jalapeño slaw and found it all to be excellently flavoured. I had the pulled pork and pork chilli and chose mash as a side. All three were delicious. The pulled pork was meltingly tender, the chilli uniquely flavoured and the mash smooth and creamy. For dessert we shared the sticky toffee pudding and it was one of the best I've ever tasted.
It's a simple menu of locally sourced ingredients which, from our experience, is executed well.
Dinner with drinks at £40 was about the right price point. We will definitely be back.

Hi CholeraC

Thank you for your review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your meal with us at The Smokehouse. The Sticky Toffee pudding is proving a weakness for many people and I am by no means exempt.

We are glad you felt the Smokehouse experience provided good value and quality; we always try to provide a high standard of food with a reasonable price.

Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again soon,

Kind regards,

The Pop Up Smokehouse Team
“Really satisfying food”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I was excited to visit, the menu looked really appetising and I'd heard some good things from last time. Despite eating at quite a late hour, it was still fairly busy and had quite a nice feel about the place. The heating, lighting and tables weren't perfect, but it's perhaps to be expected from a pop up restaurant. I had the pulled pork and was not disappointed, it tasted really good. The chilli had a nice heat and the texture of the food was spot on. The way it was presented in the separate pot was also well thought out, and added to the experience of the food. I also had the Key Lime Pie for dessert, which was really delicious, well balanced and quite a treat. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, though it isn't the cheapest experience, the value for money is there.

• Visited February 2014
Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very pleased you enjoyed your meal at The Smokehouse; we received such positive feedback after our first outing at O Bar that we just had to come back for a second visit. We are glad you felt the meal provided value for money; we constantly try to ensure that our food is of the highest standard and still provides good value.

We hope you'll come back for seconds some time soon.

Best wishes

The Smokehouse Team
“Taste sensation”
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I have eaten at the smokehouse twice now; once during the original pop up period and now during its second outing at the o bar. On both occasions the food was incredible and I will happily be returning for a third instalment.
On this occasion my girlfriend and i took my parents for a birthday treat. Between us we ordered 4 of the big smokes (1 each of 2 x ribs, 1x chicken and 1x pulled pork) along with a bunch of sides. This feast we shared between us.
Now I can't help but question the review prior to my own regarding portions; the pulled pork comes as a bowl of pulled pork along with a separate bowl of chilli which is more than enough with a side of slaw or the amazing salt baked potato. And the ribs... There may only be two on the plate but they are the size of your forearm and so tender they fall apart in the mouth! Wonderful stuff!
Highlights for me were the chilli and if you still have room, order the sticky toffee sponge cake with salted bourbon sauce... Pure flavour.
I also really enjoyed the fennel slaw, it's really rustic and traditional. Proper slaw! Not shredded carrots from tesco in salad cream.
Definitely go and give this a try while it is still there. Leicester needs more independent and exciting places to eat like the smokehouse.

Top tip: order a goose island honkers beer to wash it all down and try tasting the crust of the salt baked potato (you're not supposed to eat it and if your doctor is telling you off about cholesterol then don't) but nibble some like it was pork scratching with your beer and you'll love it. I did.

Can't wait to go back!

Hi warnerbates,

Thank you for your very positive review. We are glad you enjoyed your experience on both occasions and also for your top tips. While we wouldn't recommend eating the Saltbake crust, many do give it a little nibble.

We hope you'll come back soon.

Best wishes