“British Micromount Symposium”
Review of Stoneycroft Hotel

Stoneycroft Hotel
Ranked #39 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 17 September 2012

The British Micromount Society have used this hotel in Leicester, each September for the last 25 years. Yes, some of the rooms are 'tired', but Donna and her staff are trying to resolve the problems. This year we held our annual Symposium in the hotel, and nearly 70 delegates thought it a complete success. The staff bent over backwards to make our stay a very pleasant experience. If you are planning and event in Leicester, give the Stoneycroft Hotel a try. In time the problems with the decor will be resolved. Donna and her very friendly staff will give you a warm welcome.
Martin Stolworthy (Chairman British Micromount Society)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Martin S
There are newer reviews for Stoneycroft Hotel

Reviewed 24 August 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel booking last minute for a festival in leicester .The hotel was 5 mins walk from the park where festival is held and i thought would be a great location.
After reading the reviews on here was expecting to stay at a faulty towers type place ,but i have to say we were both pleasantly surprised.
YES the decor is old fashioned and the room a little shabby and small but it was clean had a good bathroom with huge shower,bed was comfy and there was even a vintage radio above the bed.
You got mugs in the room instead of those pesky little cups and a full english breakfast in the morning AND free parking !!
For less than £40 for a double we were very happy with the hotel... it's not the Ritz but is far from as bad as these other reviews say !

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank festivalfairy475
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Me and my wife stayed in this hotel in january, wary of bad reviews we solidered on in the hope that the jacuzzi would negate the negatives. We were pleaseantly suprised. Yes the hotel is dated and the staff are ignorant and rude. But it was clean and cheap ( except for being charged twice) The jacuzzi/steam bath was exellent and the situiation of the premises good. That led to a second booking for the four poster bed and jacuzzi combo (who said romance was dead?). This is were our luck ran out and our nightmare started. We arrive to mumblings of double bookings and that a wedding party has taken our room, but we have an alternative. To be fair we got 50 pound knocked off but you couldnt pay me to suffer the indignity of sleeping in this hole again. The room was bascially below sea level, had no windows of any fucntion accept to tease you with the the freedom which is outside, and the room had the lighting of a chilean mine. My other half related her experience to what she would preceive as time served at her majestys pleasure. The saving grace as always is the jacuzzi..... The only temperture setting available was scoulding, or the average temp in the river styx. the door was hanging by one cobweb only ( its a recession screws are expensive). The worst was the water in the spa/bath, its the liquid was a yellow tinged sulphuresque gloop of stale poision which took an age to fill up and an era to dispense. It was like the sewage works of 1800s london had transported itself to this plastic fantastic tub of sorrow. Other knocks would be no picture on the 70s tv (im all for retro) couldnt brush my teeth as the sink was permentlry full, oh and the room seemed to be next to the loudest and busiest kitchen in britian (god help the diners). All in all we got away lightly first time but paid fot iy the second. No go.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank glenn b
Reviewed 9 July 2012

9 of us stayed at this hotel for 1 night. We had three rooms between us and all of the rooms had serious damp, the wall paper was coming off the walls. The rooms were not clean, lights did not work, showers had no hot water. No toilet roll in hotel rooms or in the toilets down stairs, when we asked for toilet paper we were given brown stained damp loo roll. The electrics were dangerous and in one room the bed side lamp burnt a hole in the headboard of the bed, a lucky escape there? There are steep stairs to all the rooms and the rooms are very very warm! The beds were very uncomfortable and most of us were unable to sleep. There were teenagers smoking drugs on the premises and so I would say DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHILD HERE. The quality of the food at breakfast was ok but we waited a long time for it and most of us did not receive what we ordered. If you would like a good laugth then pop in and check this place out for your self, but I would not recommend a stay in this place to a FAMILY OF RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm surprised this place hasnt been closed down?

Room Tip: Do not book any room at this hell hole
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Lesley B
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I had a one night stay here. My primary concern being that it was located close to the train station. The hotel is somewhat close but that being said there wasn't many positive to say about the hotel. It is in desperate need of an update. The carpeting is old and musty smelling. My room had one small twin bed that needs replacing. One of the springs went when I just went to sit on the bed. But the sheets were clean and on average I had a pretty good sleep. The TV is an older model that didn't work at all and whatever digital device they had sitting on the top kept falling off. The bathroom was the best thing about my room. Generally it was clean and spacious and much bigger than other hotels I have been into. That said there needs to be more careful cleaning of the toilet. I will just leave it at that. The one positive about the bathroom was that there was a heated towel rack which is great if you need to do some quick hand laundry. Hang it up on the rack and depending on the item, it will generally dry overnight. The other general positive was that my room price included an English breakfast which was average. Nothing spectacular but not bad either. The check in staff when I arrived the previous night was very nice and helpful. A cheery attitude from staff makes the stay more bearable. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend on my "must stay": lists. It is a lower price but you get what you pay for in this instance.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank YVRTravelGirl_10
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The only good thing about it was the staff.

1. The hotel is supposed to be good for wheelchair users. 1x Disabled toilet at the other end of the corridor from my room.
2. Could only just get the wheelchair into the room.
3. The room deperateley needed decorating, the curtains hanging of the rails.
4. Breakfast menu, half of it not available and no access in a wheelchair to the breakfast room.
5. The hall at the end of the corridor was disgusting, mouldy damp.
6. Beds and bedding poor quality, wafer thin pillows.
7. single headboard on a double bed.
Its just goes on and on!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tracey C
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I have been in some bad hotels but this place beats them all,the first thing you notice is the smell of dampness,then when you get to your room you realise why there is a smell,damp patches,mould,dirt,there is also a stench from the plug holes coming from the sewer,we considered our room to be the best of the group we were with because we only had to endure a toilet door that would not shut,beds that were falling apart black mould on the walls carpets you would not let your dog sleep on,I sat on the only chair in the room and fell straight on my [--]
we went for dinner there becuase the menu looked good,dont be fooled,I had TRIO OF SUASAGE WITH MASH AND ONION GRAVY,it came after a one and three quater hours wait and was a plate of plastic smash with three deep fried sausage swimming in Bisto gravy not a hint of onion,my friends did'nt fair any better,frozen fish and chips with peas like bullits,I just could'nt understand why it took so long to cook and breakfast was the same inedible,
the staff were very understanding though there is only one english speaker who was a hero and tried her best to help.
do yourself a favour and give this place a miss,I would not give this hotel a single star but the AA rate it as three

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends