“Christmas Party Dinner - oh dear! (Stoneycroft Hotel Leicester)”
Review of Stoneycroft Hotel

Stoneycroft Hotel
Ranked #39 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I don't usually like to leave bad reviews, I'd rather say nothing if it's not positive but I'm annoyed that myself and my family paid £24.95 each for the Christmas Party Meal when it was pretty much terrible. The food was too hot (an obvious sign that it had just come out of the microwave), soup had a nice taste but it was like water with bits in. The garlic mushrooms were rock hard, my Mum almost broke a tooth - she also had one where there wasn't actually a mushroom inside the batter. The main was worse, the veg was frozen and the new potatoes were tinned. There wasn't enough food provided and the gravy was as thin as water, not much taste at all. We asked for extra veg and potatoes which we were given but then heard a comment between the staff "We're short on veg and potatoes for the next family now". The Christmas Pudding was as a big as a satsuma and clearly pre-packed. The apple cobbler looked like a meat pie and was pretty tasteless, microwaved to perfection! There was also a guy with long hair who clearly had a personal hygiene problem, he served me some coffee and I almost gagged at the smell of his armpit in my face! The only good thing about our trip was the fact that we were served quickly and on time, thankfully we didn't stay overnight! Very disappointed especially as we paid £24.95 each. I have better meals at 2 for 1 places such as Wetherspoons.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Emma_and_Pat

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I had the mis fortune to stay in this establishment (can't call it a hotel) last night. We stayed in the family room which was advertised with a jaccuzzi. I would not get in that even if I was paid to do so. If I am honest I have never experienced a more dirty room, carpet was wet and full of stains, decor was something out of the 1970's and has not seen a lick of paint since, bathroom door has been turned around leaving the dressing gown hook facing into the room, a desk with a chair that leaves you sitting under the desk. A musty smell was evident. Beds were very uncomfortable, pillow felt like a brick. Our room was located by the kitchen so had to listen to breakfast preparation and then diners eating. Hotel signage is hanging at a 45 degree angle and looks like it will fall down, flags that have seen better days, bin over flowing and lots of scattered lager cans. If another family room was available in another hotel I would have not checked in. I will say that the staff were lovely and helpful. How has this hotel got 3 stars? Unbelievable? Not even worthy of 1 star.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Lynjordan1
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Wanted a hotel in Leicester for a friends weekend, but our usual place was full so booked here with reading the reviews. A friend said you had better read about this place on Tripadvisor. So I did and went along expecting to cancel the booking and find somewhere else.
Yes it needs redecorating
Yes it is run down
But the room was OK, the WiFi worked, the shower was OK there was plenty of hot water and the breakfast was edible.
The staff were very friendly and helpful too.
So for £40 for a Saturday night B&B expect what you pay for.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank shilstar
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The hotel really needs decorating ,there were damp patchs on the walls and ceilings.Our bedroom was clean and very warm, the water was hot..The televison bracket was so high i had to lift the televison down so that we could watch it. The breakfast was good ,it was hot and the service was good.We were served by a very nice polite Polish young lady.It is a budget hotel but i think should up there standards.Would i stay there again i dont think we will.

Room Tip: If you need a budget hotel central Leicester you get what you pay for,
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Apart from being greeted with limited amiss-managed parking, a receptionist sharp, short and reminiscent of a lady in waiting from the Adams family. I thought I would leave my mind open to relax in a comfortable £55.00 /night room. I didn't expect the Hilton nor the Ritz yet nearly a comfortable simply furnished room to relax in. I was passed the keys to Room 39 OMG!!!
Now I have asthma not chronic so I can't function normally (hop, skip,jump etc if that is normal?) but a mindful concern nethertheless.
The room had damp issues everywhere wall paper hanging off more stains than a tramps sleeping bag (not even exaggerating).
The major Heath issue if that wasn't enough, well certainly cosmetically, was the green spores of mould which, as it has in the past, rendered men hospitalised.
Straight downstairs after a heated conversation with the lazy cow behind the desk (we did not get on) I got room 31 this was better but still substandard only a few lengths of wall paper prising itself free!!! Stain a plenty with very poor fittings creeking and unclean.
I am here for work not a Halloween appreciation convention.
Never, never, never book in I am compiling a report for the local EHO and tourist info office this place should be closed down!!!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere spend a fiver or tenner more if you have to. If you don't you would be glad to pa...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Welshyboy69
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I spent two nights here during a recent business trip, and chose it mostly due to its close proximity to the railway station. I informed the staff ahead of my arrival that I would need to have breakfast early due to early starts. I was told that breakfast was not until 7am which was too late. I had to ask if cereal could be made available instead. The following morning I went into the Breakfast room and there were 4 large bowls containing the usual cereals but there was no juice, tea or coffee available. The following morning I asked if I could have some tea and toast, I had to prompt the waiter for the milk and the toast didn't turn up at all. He just said he 'forgot', but was not that apologetic.
The room smelt musty, the door stuck and didn't close without a hefty slam and it didn't have a lock on the inside. The shower also needed attention as it leaked.
Due to the paper thin walls I could hear the occupant next door having a shower and brushing his teeth (at 3.10am!). His female companion even started singing at that hour and I had to bang on the wall to try to get a bit of quiet. There was a lot of activity in the corridor during the early hours, with people not attempting to be quiet. This made me think I might have been in an area of the hotel where staff had rooms.
I had very little sleep during my stay,as apart from the noise mentioned earlier, there was some sort of generator that kept coming on throughout the night.
Apart from one young receptionist (who was very friendly) the staff were disinterested and hard to find. Overall the worst hotel experience I've ever had. Unfortunately I hadn't read the reviews before booking. I won't make that mistake again!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank SAS866
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

The worst hotel I've ever stayed in... Cigarette packets, building materials and old carpets in parking area. Receptionist disinterested and rude, dirty, dated room with no hot water. Breakfast seemed ok but sausages raw inside, beware!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple