“Comfortable, affordable and convenient”
Review of Croft Hotel

Croft Hotel
Ranked #36 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Irby, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, affordable and convenient”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed here for one night in a single ensuite room. Let's get the negative stuff out of the way first.
Cons: Only one - the décor. Old and worn carpets, anaglipta wallpaper which had had quite a number of coats, over the years. This place could do with a lick of paint.
Pros: Free parking. Most of the hotels in Leicester centre do not have parking facilities and you have to pay for parking at a NCP or other car park. This hotel had plenty of free parking spaces.
The check in procedure was quick and the receptionist was very pleasant and helpful. He even asked me if I would like my bag to be taken to my room. I declined as I had only one small bag.
I had a single, ensuite room which was small but more than adequate. The bed was very comfortable. There was a flat screen TV, tea & coffee making facilities, free (and fast) wi fi, and radiator. The ensuite bathroom (consisting of shower, toilet and wash basin) was small but suited me and was not a problem. The whole place was very clean.
They also had a reasonably priced bar, which I didn't use.
The breakfast was freshly cooked and tasty.
This hotel/guest house is not right in the centre of Leicester but is not far away. It is at the top of London Road (and very close to various university campuses) but there is a bus service (nos 31 and 31A) that will get you into the city centre within 4 minutes.
The hotel is within 5 minutes walk of a great little pub (The Old Horse) where one can get a decent pint of beer and a meal (they also have free wi fi). London Road is about a 10 minute walk and there are lots of restaurants, bars, pubs and takeaways there.
To put it in a nutshell: friendly and helpful staff, place was very clean, free parking, very close to city centre and public transport.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this establishment to friends and family.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Outrageous

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The hotel was very clean and the staff friendly. However, I stayed here last night (20th November) and it was very cold. I was in a single room and the bed was situated under the window. Despite being fully closed, there was a very cold draft coming through the window straight down onto the bed. Add to this the only bed cover available was a very thin duvet which was the width of the bed. There were no extra blankets in the room.
I was so cold that I had to resort to pulling the mattress off the bed and wedging it by the radiator. I also had to wear my coat for the whole night - it was very uncomfortable and I did not get uch sleep at all, There was no phone so I couldn't call down to reception and I did not want to wander down two flights of stairs in my pyjamas.
There was also no hot water when I ran the basin taps, so I couldn't have a hot wash in the morning (I did not try the shower as I didn't want to risk stepping into a freezing cold shower).
I raised this twice with staff - once at breakfast and again when I checked out. All I got was that they'd look into it - I paid for bed and breakfast and got breakfast and the floor!!!
I would NEVER stay there again!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We don't usually watch the pennies, but had to on this trip up to Leicester, so we stayed here at the Croft. We were met by a really polite chap, explained the door codes, safety info etc. We were on the top floor and had a great couple of nights. I think the other reviews here are forgetting its £90 for two nights, if you want 5 star, pay for it. For it's money this was an excellent place to stay, we will definitely stay there again on another trip to see the family.

Breakfast: Perfect (not too big or small)
Cleanliness: Very clean, brand new towels, bedding etc
Staff: Only met two, they were both really nice.
Distance: Perfect for town, train station and rugby/football

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris C
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at the Croft Hotel for one night after visiting friends. My first impression of the hotel was good; the decor and building itself was lovely, and the staff were polite and endeavored to give all the information that I needed. I liked that the front door and each floor had a password-protected door as I felt safe and secure staying there, though after ringing the bell to enter the hotel I did have to wait a couple of minutes before anyone answered.

The room itself was on the second floor, and though small, it was nicely decorated and well presented. The room had an ensuite, though the sliding door had a small gap between it and the wall so it wasn't as private as I would have liked, but this wasn't an issue really. The room overall was clean and had good amenities, including a heater that was well appreciated as the room got rather cold at night.

Something that I was rather surprised about was that there was no toiletries included in the room (apart from a Travelodge soap left on the bed with the towels). Even a small shampoo or shower gel bottle would have been appreciated as I couldn't see any local shops around to buy anything if I forget them.

Overall, the service was good and the rooms were above average, and I would definitely consider staying again the next time I am in Leicester.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Balatonalmadi
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I think the staff at Hotel Croft can attest to the fact that I am a very patient guest. I specifically asked for an in-suite room, which they completely forgot about. I did not make a scene and they promised to move me to a new room with a shower on the 2nd day and to an in-suite room on the 3rd day. However there was no heating at all. And then two things happened on the 2nd day, which resulted me bolting to another hotel on the 3rd day (which BTW turned out to be just as bad but differently). 1, the 2nd room had a cupboard in front of the radiator which told me, there's absolutely zero chance for heating in this hotel and 2, there was no hot water by the afternoon on the 2nd day. The guy told us, complaining guests, that there's no need to worry and went back to playing snooker. By next morning there was no hot water and I left the hotel early.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Leicester
Reviewed 1 October 2013

What a great experience! Im a new student at U of L and needed a place to stay at the last minute.. This was the second hotel that my taxi driver and I checked out, and it cost less than half the price of the first one (coming from oil rich Alberta, Canada, I thought that even the other place was affordable!)

My room was small, but tidy and clean with new furnishings. The best part of this was their free wifi; it was never an issue and both my computer and phone were quick. The room that I booked made use of a shared bathroom in the hallway, which was fine by me, but there are also rooms with ensuite bathrooms.

Even the free breakfast in the morning was great! Full english style, with cereal and milk/juices laid out. Above all, the service was not only courteous and attentive, but also helped me out with some newcomer questions.. Unreal stay and I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Manchester, England
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Just need somewhere to sleep for a weekend trip to Leicester. The hotel is under new management and they were very helpful and approachable. The room was clean and tidy. It was good value for money and would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business